Author Topic: What do you use your scooter for?  (Read 3460 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
What do you use your scooter for?
« on: September 11, 2019, 12:53:37 PM »
I know that people buy scooters for a variety of reasons.  For much of the world scooters are transportation.  In the USA scooters and motorcycles are mainly toys.  Some people just ride them around town.  Others go touring.

So what do you use your scooter(s) for?
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: What do you use your scooter for?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 12:57:18 PM »
I'll start.

I bought my first scooter (Super 8 150) mainly as an around town commuter.  I soon discovered it was good for much more.  So here is what I use my scooters for.

-commuting
-sport riding
-touring
-participate in Tag Games
-Gymkhana
-Scootography
-exploring
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 02:42:03 PM »
Bought my first motorcycle in 1960 because I wanted to go where I wanted, near or far, when I wanted, right now or whenever, get back when supposed to and not have to wait on a San Diego bus! It was the original personal transport. Touring southern California was an eye-opener! Mount Palomar was something read about in Popular Science magazine was JUST UP THE ROAD!

Later, a motorcycle became like a second car for hunting parts, honey-do's, etc. The thirst for easier touring was satisfied by a bigger engine and that was financially possible by restoring a 1955 BSA. That was a daily rider until replaced by a company car.

Working on bikes, talking about bikes became as much fun as riding. Some years back, I was a pilot and self-taught aircraft mechanic and sheet metal craftsman. Found out most general aviation mechs were hot air generators! That all today is in scooters where most dealer techs seem to be BS artists!

The scooter today is way different from the 60's. They rangevall the way from small, light and really simple to quite large, comfortable, sophisticated and powerful! Low weight and low center of mass/gravity allow creaky old guys and gals to ride into their sunset years. I still ride just for the fun of it, to places I have never been and to get a haircut 80 miles down the road!

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 04:06:32 PM »
As 2 wheel rider since 1955----I try to use present scooter for all transportation needs and always have done so.  Long trips, yes, been to UP of Mich this year----hot weather in south has slowed me down some and taken the fun out.   One 15 year period or so, never bought anything I couldn't haul home on bike....saved lots of money that way.

My garage has new Audi Q5 (Which I have never driven....think it sucks, too many bells/whistles/red lights/no dip stick.  I have Mitsubishi Mirage I bought new 18 months ago....fine car, everything works! But I have driven it under 500 miles since Feb 2019.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 09:29:03 PM »
Bought the 2012 LIKE200iLX in 2013 for 365 work commute here in Ohio.
Retired, now I start out for 2 hours in the dark nearly daily to my coffee village - or the State Park nearby.
This is the only time of day that I will ride now.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 10:25:39 PM »
So what do you use your scooter(s) for?
For now, it’s a tool to help me learn how to safely get from pt A to pt B, on two wheels, going no more than ten miles in distance, with light traffic, and at speeds less than 50 mph. If there's an errand to run within those parameters, then I'm in.

Ask me again in a year and I hope it's a different answer.
2018 Kymco Like 200i (matte black)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 11:10:34 PM »
For now, it’s a tool to help me learn how to safely get from pt A to pt B, on two wheels, going no more than ten miles in distance, with light traffic, and at speeds less than 50 mph. If there's an errand to run within those parameters, then I'm in.

Ask me again in a year and I hope it's a different answer.

I started out a lot like you.  I bought a motorcycle just to cruise to the local park on weekends and just have a little fun on local roads.  Before I knew it I was riding it everywhere and my car was sitting in the driveway gathering dust.....and rust. 

I have no doubt you will expand the scope of your riding as you gain experience and confidence.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 11:44:30 PM »
Years ago I'd answer people who asked that question by saying it's the most fun I have with my clothes on. Now that I'm in my 83rd year I say it's the most fun I have, clothes on or off.

Riding is my therapy, my high. My '89 Camry wagon sits unused for weeks, sometimes months. I downsized from full size motorcycles due to my inability to pick up a 600 pound bike if it fell over. I'm sorry I didn't discover scooters years ago: their maneuverability and automatic trannies make them a joy to ride.
2009 GV 250

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 07:56:43 AM »
For years I rode my Virago to work because it was quick and easy to park. I switched from motorcycles to a scooter when I retired 14 years ago.  I also have 2 cars but the women in the family take them!  So I'm defaulted to the scooter for a couple reasons (a) it's so useful for doing errands, going to the mall, etc. and (b) I can park it anywhere, usually right at the front door.   There's also (c)  it's always available since nobody else rides it, and (d) because it's so enjoyable riding on a nice day! The last reason is actually a big deal because parking is so scarce and expensive.  With my Kymco Sento, I can always park at the front door everywhere I go. At home where we live in a town-house, there's only 2 parking spaces, but the Kymco fits easily between the 2 cars. I got my first motorcycle when I was 16, and 62 years later I'm still on 2 wheels!

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 09:09:50 AM »
For 35 years bicycles were my main source of transportation  (and recreation).
If it matters, by choice more than financial necessity.
Have been interested in scooters for a while, but put off getting one for fear of
it replacing the bicycles--which are a great source of exercise--and getting fat and lazy as a result.

Discovered pickleball last January and wanted to get into it, but wasn't interested in cycling
11 miles each way to play.  So I got a 50cc scooter as a way to get to the courts.
Figured I'd ride 40-50 miles a week. 

Realized right away riding the scooter was an absolute blast, more fun than anything else. 
Rode 250 miles a week and played very little pickleball.  Two months after getting the 50cc
moved up to a 150.  Still doing 1000 miles a month, and recently got a Honda Rebel 250 for longer rides. 
Not getting rid of the scooter, though.
It's the perfect vehicle for errands around town and joy rides into the country.

Haven't been on a bicycle since getting the 1st scoot, and don't miss it a bit. 
Between the heat (7 months of the year), nasty motorists (much less so to scooters and motorcycles),
and energy drain, I realized cycling wasn't that enjoyable any more.
I get much more done and have energy for other pursuits such as house projects and swimming. 
An added bonus is wearing normal clothes now when riding, which I never did all the years of pedaling
(bike shorts, bike shoes and spf shirts or ratty t-shirts were the norm).

I'm in a much better frame of mind after a scoot, refreshed and relaxed rather than the exhausted
and often pissed off feeling after a pedal.  And haven't gained a pound.
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 04:16:38 AM »
bought scooter at age 49 because back when I was 14 I really, really, really wanted a Honda Express moped. Parents said no way.

Fast forward 35 years and I started off by looking on Craigslist for 1980'ish Honda Expresses. Surprisingly they are not too scarce. Then realized that I could buy a bigger scooter and have more fun.

Bought my People S 200 (used, with 1800 miles) and used it to joyride around the neighborhood, town and nearby lake.

Liked it so much that I then bought a little Ninja...but kept the scooter to putz around on and to hopefully get my daughters to go for rides with me on it. I can use the scooter to run errands to the hardware store and to pick up beer (can fit 2 6 packs of bottles in the top box).

Still love the scooter but only put 100-200 miles each year on it. Will probably keep it forever because it was the vehicle that got me back on 2 wheels.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 04:03:07 AM »
When I had my scooter, I used it as warm weather transportation for pleasure and work. My commute to work was nearly 50 miles each way at mostly highway speeds. 50 mpg , fresh air, and being one with nature sure beat 20mpg .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 02:31:42 PM »
my GF is the scooter person in our household, I'm still riding a big bike (Vstrom 1000) 

before she retired,  it was her commuter and errand vehicle,

many times when we went grocery shopping, instead of taking the truck, we'd unload all our cargo holds on her scooter, and my V-strom,  between the 2, we could easily fit a full grocery cart before we had to improvise with bungee nets

no that she's retired, she purchased an old school bus that she is converting into a motor home. her scooter will be on board as her run around transportation, when she makes her cross country trip
RandyO
IBA#9560

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 07:13:49 AM »
For my early 20s  through to 18 months ago my small bikes/scooters did everything. Later on, they were my work as well as a courier.

Now, I use it to avoid parking charges at my partner's work, but haven't really ridden much this year, which makes me sad :(
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

scootertherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 11:24:45 PM »
My first bike was a mobetecane moped back in the mid 70's. in Hollywood, FL...  Migrated to motorcycles from there. In my 40's, I switched to scooters.  Wished I'd have done it sooner. So much fun. A malaguti 50 (phantom) was my first non moped, non motorcycle. I ride for therapy. It fends off depression. I used to be a snowbird and kept at least one bike in either one place or the the other.

As I wrote this I think how fortunate I was to be a migrator from age 47 to 57. Thing is, making yourself happy (as a single male) in the US often triggers people and leads to unwanted attention.  I was surprised to learn this..  I thought most people were in pursuit of their 'own' happiness. Apparently I was wrong. Many people want to be the happiness police for others. Many of those people are of the married variety (also unexpected as I thought married ppl were supposed to be happy, lolz).  Weird world.

I sold both places between 2014 & 2016 and moved in between.  I now ride in a place where atv's & horses are ok so I didn't bother to put a tag on this one. I sometimes put my old FL tag on. 8000 acre horse ranch community. Plenty of room to roam and I rarely see many others on my daily jaunts.  Sometimes I just ride up and down my 330 foot  gated driveway.. lolz  At 60, I don't really play well w/ others so this bike and this place are just the ticket. ..
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 11:41:30 PM by scootertherapy »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()