Author Topic: What do you use your scooter for?  (Read 3279 times)

christianblessing

• View Profile
Re: What do you use your scooter for?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 03:03:25 AM »
I used a Vespa P125X for several years before moving to Malaysia. There a motorbike (scooter is not a thing) was essential and was what I used for everything. We have a small home in Thailand now, with two 150cc Yamahas for daily drivers. The first thing I did when moving back to our hometown in Arizona was buy a Kymco XTown. Whatever the occasion it's either the Like or the XTown. I've driven the Subaru only twice in the 2 months we've been back.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Kymco X-Town 300
Kymco People 250
Kymco 200i
Vespa P125X
Yamaha N Max 155

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 09:31:05 AM »
I used a Vespa P125X for several years before moving to Malaysia. There a motorbike (scooter is not a thing) was essential and was what I used for everything. We have a small home in Thailand now, with two 150cc Yamahas for daily drivers. The first thing I did when moving back to our hometown in Arizona was buy a Kymco XTown. Whatever the occasion it's either the Like or the XTown. I've driven the Subaru only twice in the 2 months we've been back.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

I can identify with that and can actually go one better as we've now done away with my car as I was driving it so infrequently!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 10:39:19 AM »
I can identify with that and can actually go one better as we've now done away with my car as I was driving it so infrequently!
You live in the UK, and don't own a car?
Do you have very good public transport?
A few yrs ago I refused further repairs to a 25 yr old Jetta (great car BTW!) and decided to work commute in Ohio with a LIKE200I. We have nearly no city bus service - snow mornings meant poor wife driving me in to my work - interrupting her preparing for work! Then bussing to within a mile of my house after work....and lovely, brisk walk on road's berm.
Dumb plan.
Father-in-law eventually tried to sell me his nearly new Chevy truck. I refused to cave on my dumb plan. A year later he handed me the title & keys to the truck - gratis.
The family concensus was that I would be found frozen in a snowbank come spring thaw.
My family envies anyone living in a city which has good public transportation!
The USA sorely needs it!
Stig
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 10:45:48 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 11:19:20 AM »
I spent May and June in the Philippines and motorbikes (they don't call them scooters) were prevalent. I was surprised to learn some motorbike owners provide rideshare services, like Uber or Lyft for cars. They have an app to manage the whole shebang.

In Manila, when a traffic light turns red, most of the four-wheeled vehicles come to a stop, but not always in a lane (those lines on the road are merely suggestions). Once stopped, all of the motorbikes split vehicles to congregate at the front of the intersection. At one of those intersections, I saw a young lady flash her phone at the motorbike driver, he nodded, then she climbed on. Our driver explained that it was a rideshare service.

So, to answer the original poster's question, some folks use their scooter as a business.
2018 Kymco Like 200i (matte black)

BigBlue505

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 12:05:43 PM »
I mostly stay in town on my Xciting 500, but my town's spread out with lots of open road.  I've had many large motorcycles over the years and enjoyed taking long day rides, but I've lost interest in that.  I found myself taking shorter and shorter rides, but wasn't ready to give up motorcycling entirely.  First, I got a Honda PCX 150 and it was fun for a while, but too small.  My Xciting is much better.  It'll easily cruise at 55-60 mph (about as fast as I want to go) and it's very comfortable the way I have it set up.  I use it for errands more than I did with my bigger motorcycles.  It's very dependable...you just get on and go!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 12:12:19 PM by BigBlue505 »
2008 Kymco Xciting
New Mexico

diverhap

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2019, 12:21:23 PM »
7 years ago I sold my car (Opel Astra) and bought SYM 150 it was my first scooter I drive I took this decision cuz I fed up with parking and driving in a very crowded streets ( I live in Cairo, Egypt) and I used scooter to go everyday to work and the average distance daily
 50 miles (90 km ) per day
last year i bought my DT 300 used and was running 900 KM now I drove for 35000 KM
I only use my wife car C180 in travelling or weekends if we were together

My Regards

Ehab

SEANIA

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2019, 03:13:40 PM »
I've had a few now.

Initially, bought a Honda Metropolitan on dealer finance to help build credit as I had never made a "large" loan purchase before that, and your credit "score"/max loan for large financing is mostly separate from your regular score. You could have a 800 credit score, but that doesn't mean you'll be able to get a loan for a house or car. The more you know~

I had wanted one of Hondas larger motorcycles, but the financing wouldn't be approved for it.

After my Metropolitan though, I became addicted to small displacement bikes. The mileage is nice, the cheap CHEAP insurance is a god send, and I looovveeee getting as much as i can out of the tiny displacement of them.
I have, and/or have had:

Honda Metropolitan -hit, and then stolen while in the middle of exchanging information 2,000$-ish (insurance covered remaining payment)
Adly GTA 50 (wanted a RT50, but the dealer refused to order me one...and the GTA50 stalled during the "test" idle -_-) - stolen, 1,450$, insurance refused to insure it to begin with "wasn't in their system" as it's an import. Total loss.
Kymco People 50 (still own) 850$- no title (dont believe sellers)
PGO Genuine RoughHouse50 (engine shot, need a compatible rim for my new engine) 350$ titled
Aprilia SR50 DiTech 2003 (converted to carb, cause, 600$ fuel pumps that break every 1k miles) 200$ titled

Oh, and a TaoTao50 that I got scammed into buying . Never send your friends to buy something for you, and never believe what a seller says they have. Was going to make the best of a bad situation by converting it to E85 and blow it up with RPMs, but then they stopped making E85. Not happy.

I want a road legal Minarelli AM6 50cc based bike, but, those are extremely hard to come by in the US. They're primarily a Europe only thing to fit the guidelines of the licencing system there. A lot of the ones here, were (are?) sold as track training bikes, and aren't road legal. I live in Texas, so getting a bike road legal here is easy, but finding anything at all with a AM6 has been a pain.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2019, 12:32:19 PM »
A few yrs ago I refused further repairs to a 25 yr old Jetta (great car BTW!) and decided to work commute in Ohio with a LIKE200I. We have nearly no city bus service - snow mornings meant poor wife driving me in to my work - interrupting her preparing for work! Then bussing to within a mile of my house after work....and lovely, brisk walk on road's berm.
Dumb plan.
Father-in-law eventually tried to sell me his nearly new Chevy truck. I refused to cave on my dumb plan. A year later he handed me the title & keys to the truck - gratis.
The family concensus was that I would be found frozen in a snowbank come spring thaw.
The USA sorely needs it!
Stig

UK's public transport varies wildly depending on where you are, and how rural it is.

My partner and I wouldn't need her car (the never-dying Toyota) necessarily if it went pop. Which it will. Eventually.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2019, 12:51:02 PM »
Dumb plan.
The USA sorely needs it!
Stig
As Viper has already said Stig, it depends where you are in the UK.  Here in rural Cheshire, I am lucky enough to have a bus roughly every hour into the two nearest towns so, in extremis, I do have an alternative and it's free as I'm now of retirement age!  ;D

That said, I did have 20-odd years of my working life where I only owned a motorcycle and travelled the length and breadth of the UK in the course of my management duties.  My best year saw me clock up 45K miles on a Triumph Daytona 900.  Getting to meetings in a sharp suit, collar & tie took logistics of an interesting nature sometimes.  The worst being getting changed on a public car park behind a parked car - fortunately in the days here before the proliferation of CCTV cameras!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

scootertherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2019, 07:47:21 PM »

Honda Metropolitan -hit, and then stolen while in the middle of exchanging information 2,000$-ish (insurance covered remaining payment)

Wow...  ;D :o

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 10:16:52 AM »
As Viper has already said Stig, it depends where you are in the UK.  Here in rural Cheshire, I am lucky enough to have a bus roughly every hour into the two nearest towns so, in extremis, I do have an alternative and it's free as I'm now of retirement age!  ;D

That said, I did have 20-odd years of my working life where I only owned a motorcycle and travelled the length and breadth of the UK in the course of my management duties.  My best year saw me clock up 45K miles on a Triumph Daytona 900.  Getting to meetings in a sharp suit, collar & tie took logistics of an interesting nature sometimes.  The worst being getting changed on a public car park behind a parked car - fortunately in the days here before the proliferation of CCTV cameras!

We're not far apart in reality (Staffs/Cheshire border for me) but worlds apart in terms of public transport ^.^
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2019, 12:20:53 PM »
We're not far apart in reality (Staffs/Cheshire border for me) but worlds apart in terms of public transport ^.^
We must be close buddy as I’m right on the border between Crewe & N-u-L. Maybe a meet up is in order one dry day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2019, 02:44:25 PM »
We must be close buddy as I’m right on the border between Crewe & N-u-L. Maybe a meet up is in order one dry day?

Edge of NuL for me. I've not got anything on the road at the moment but I'm saving for another CB250 or something, so would be good to grab a ride when that happens! :)
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2019, 04:32:02 PM »
Currently using the scooter to run over squirrels...Tried to dodge one the other day and it ran back under the bike....
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2019, 01:11:47 PM »
Edge of NuL for me. I've not got anything on the road at the moment but I'm saving for another CB250 or something, so would be good to grab a ride when that happens! :)
Yeah I’m good with that Viper, just let me know.
[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()