Author Topic: X-Town 300i Fuel Consumption & Range  (Read 1524 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
X-Town 300i Fuel Consumption & Range
« on: September 16, 2019, 10:55:37 AM »
I'm now a couple of tanks-full into my new XT300 and pleased with the fuel performance so far at c85 UK mpg.

I have a question which is now niggling me though, when the fuel light comes on and fuel one bar indicator flashes, how far can you travel?  (I panicked and stopped within 10 miles for fuel (at which point the trip was on exactly 200 miles), only to find the most I could squeeze in was just over 10 litres, suggesting if the capacity of the tank is 12.5l, about 2 litres still left?  If so maybe another 25-30 miles? 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 02:40:18 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

john grinsel

• View Profile
Re: X-Twon 300i Fuel Consumption & Range
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 01:36:00 PM »
My Xtown 300 I US model gets 65-70 mpg US all the time.   Based on 64 years of riding and over 1.5 million miles experience.....and hating to WALK----screw the gas gauge----strange places I fuel every 100 miles, known places I sometimes go 150 miles-----best fuel measure is trip A, I set back each fill up and watch it on long trips.  I have ride ridden/work in both Asia and Europe.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 02:18:58 PM »
I'm now a couple of tanks-full into my new XT300 and pleased with the fuel performance so far at c85 UK mpg.

I have a question which is now niggling me though, when the fuel light comes on and fuel one bar indicator flashes, how far can you travel?  (I panicked and stopped within 10 miles for fuel (at which pint the trip was on exactly 200 miles), only to find the most I could squeeze in was just over 10 litres, suggesting if the capacity of the tank is 12.5l, about 2 litres still left?  If so maybe another 25-30 miles? 
Even though I've lived for over 25,000 days, on 3 continents, I still can't really enjoy motoring along with that yellow gas-pump light down there staring at me.
So, I head straight for the closest Top Tier station....(and, yeah - apparently I had another 50 miles worth of fuel in my Piaggio)

Just sayin'

Stig
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 02:22:59 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 02:46:16 PM »
My Xtown 300 I US model gets 65-70 mpg US all the time.   Based on 64 years of riding and over 1.5 million miles experience.....and hating to WALK----screw the gas gauge----strange places I fuel every 100 miles, known places I sometimes go 150 miles-----best fuel measure is trip A, I set back each fill up and watch it on long trips.  I have ride ridden/work in both Asia and Europe.
Thanks John, like you I've used the trip rather than any gauge for assessing need to fill up for 40+ years now and rarely (only twice) have got caught out - on one memorable occasion in rural France, my Triumph died just as I coasted onto the forecourt of a French gas station.  Lucky or what?  I may start carrying a spare fuel bottle (1.5 litres) again, just while I assess both the range and the fuel light to empty distance on this new mount.  Like you, I hate to walk!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 02:49:06 PM »
Even though I've lived for over 25,000 days, on 3 continents, I still can't really enjoy motoring along with that yellow gas-pump light down there staring at me.
So, I head straight for the closest Top Tier station....(and, yeah - apparently I had another 50 miles worth of fuel in my Piaggio)

Just sayin'

Stig
Stig, you speak for a lot of us I'm sure.  As you'll see from my reply to John however, I do fancy pushing it just to get to know what the safe range is on the XT.  I know to within 10 miles how many miles I'll get out of a tankful with my Street Triple and I'd like to be able to say the same for the XT.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 03:20:31 PM »
Stig, you speak for a lot of us I'm sure.  As you'll see from my reply to John however, I do fancy pushing it just to get to know what the safe range is on the XT.  I know to within 10 miles how many miles I'll get out of a tankful with my Street Triple and I'd like to be able to say the same for the XT.

Same for me.  I hate being low on gas but I want to have some idea of how far I can go on "reserve" or when the low fuel light flashes.  I have had some bikes that had around a gallon and a half left on reserve.  Most of my bikes have been good for 30-50 miles on reserve.  My new like 150i has only around 1/3 gallon left on low fuel. 

I don't like to run a fuel injected bike out of gas... it's not good for the bike.  On a carbureted bike it won't hurt it to run it dry....as long as you have some extra gas along.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: X-Town 300i Fuel Consumption & Range
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 03:58:56 PM »

Same for me.  I hate being low on gas but I want to have some idea of how far I can go on "reserve" or when the low fuel light flashes.  I have had some bikes that had around a gallon and a half left on reserve.  Most of my bikes have been good for 30-50 miles on reserve.  My new like 150i has only around 1/3 gallon left on low fuel. 

I don't like to run a fuel injected bike out of gas... it's not good for the bike.  On a carbureted bike it won't hurt it to run it dry....as long as you have some extra gas along.
Yeah, the techs say to keep some fuel around the in-tank pump to cool it. My 1st gen LIKE has an in-tank pump. (so did my old Jetta II)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 01:27:56 PM »
So the received wisdom is don't run it dry!  OK Roger that!  I'll assume a 200-mile range (which should give a 30+ mile margin) and ignore my OCD desire to know more precisely  :D
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 03:11:15 PM »
I am not a mechanic (not even close), but would this work?

In a home garage or safe place, siphon all of the gas from the tank into a container with measurement marks (.25 / .5 / .75 / 1.0 litre or gallon).

Now, pour .25 litre of gas back into your tank. Cap it. Start the scooter.

Note whether the fuel light comes on and fuel one bar indicator flashes. If so, then .25 litre is below the threshold to trigger the alert.

Now, pour another .25 of gas back into your tank. Cap it and start the scooter.

Note whether the alert goes away.

If you can add smaller amounts and then start her up, the more precise your measurement would be.

In the end, you will have added enough gas to turn the alert off.

Perhaps, with the knowledge of how much you have added and an accurate km per hour gallon, you can do the math and calculate an approximate number of miles left when the alert surfaces.

In the eyes of more experience riders and mechanics, this recommendation might fail on several fronts. But, I only offer it in the spirit of providing a solution, good or bad. YMMV.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 06:09:30 PM by DanH »
2018 Kymco Like 200i (matte black)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 02:44:54 PM »
I am not a mechanic (not even close), but would this work?

In a home garage or safe place, siphon all of the gas from the tank into a container with measurement marks (.25 / .5 / .75 / 1.0 litre or gallon).

Now, pour .25 litre of gas back into your tank. Cap it. Start the scooter.

Note whether the fuel light comes on and fuel one bar indicator flashes. If so, then .25 litre is below the threshold to trigger the alert.

Now, pour another .25 of gas back into your tank. Cap it and start the scooter.

Note whether the alert goes away.

If you can add smaller amounts and then start her up, the more precise your measurement would be.

In the end, you will have added enough gas to turn the alert off.

Perhaps, with the knowledge of how much you have added and an accurate km per hour gallon, you can do the math and calculate an approximate number of miles left when the alert surfaces.

In the eyes of more experience riders and mechanics, this recommendation might fail on several fronts. But, I only offer it in the spirit of providing a solution, good or bad. YMMV.
Sounds like that would work Dan. In fact, I’d go as far as to say ingenious!

Now I just need a long winter’s evening and a length of pipe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()