Author Topic: Heated Gloves? solved again @#$%^!  (Read 907 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Heated Gloves? solved again @#$%^!
« on: September 19, 2019, 09:50:56 PM »
What say you winter riders?
No reason I could not switch to heated mittens - now that it seems one of my Gerbing battery sets is dead. (3 seasons, have repaired the wiring twice)

Looking for the rechargeable battery gloves or liners.
Don't dare trust my lowly 6Ah Piaggio battery to get me home on a cold day after using it to power my 12V heated gloves.
(frankly, if I have to go with a 12V heated glove - I'll hook it to a 14Ah Yuasa carried under my seat!)

There are a whole slew of rechargeable heated gloves for @ $140 - no idea which is best.

One thing is certain - no amount of layers keeps my hands warm on my typical winter rides.....without battery heating!

Stig
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 11:14:02 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: Heated Mittens or Gloves?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 11:00:31 PM »
I had a pair of Joe Rocket Burner gloves a couple years back.
Liked the concept vs. the wired ones I ran last year.
Far as power goes, I believe your Kymco Stator's pretty similar to my SYM stator & I believe the same battery as well.
When I ran the numbers, stock, it looked like it would be able to handle wired gloves (and did) long as you didn't spend the entire day idling.
I replaced the taillight with LED to allow a bit of extra room so there was no question, & recently did the headlight, really not as much for power; although that did free up a chunk, but for the sheer amount of light vs. OEM.

All that said I liked the battery gloves better.
Not sure if I'd buy the burners again after dealing with Joe Rocket on a warranty issue though.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 02:22:40 PM »
As veteran of 64 winter of riding, some in really bad conditions, some really bad....I hate wires/extra batteries?or electrical systems that cannot power the added load-----I think warm mitts and maybe with over mitts work....and they need to be waterproof=work.   I suffered electric jacket liner failure in Monterey MX and had no other warm clothes along....put me in $150 Hotel.

Heated grips work to a degree----I test rode a BMW in CT in winter rain=nice.  Aerostich has some temp wrap around heat grips that I think might work.....and then there is/are windshields that somewhat shield the hands from cold/wet.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 01:38:23 PM »

There are a whole slew of rechargeable heated gloves for @ $140 - no idea which is best.

Stig
Don't know if these are available stateside Stig, but we have an independent testing magazine here in the UK called RiDE, which recommends Gerbing 12V XR-12 Hybrid Gloves - Black (https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/1772) at around the price you're quoting.  The reviewers rave about them too.  Think I may just invest in a pair for the coming cold months...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 08:47:33 PM »
Don't know if these are available stateside Stig, but we have an independent testing magazine here in the UK called RiDE, which recommends Gerbing 12V XR-12 Hybrid Gloves - Black (https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/1772) at around the price you're quoting.  The reviewers rave about them too.  Think I may just invest in a pair for the coming cold months...

Thanks!
Yes, I've seen those on their web site.
Think revzilla has them too.
Thanks again, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 09:25:46 PM »
Been poking around a bit since my current 12v's were not that great and wired on top of it.
I ran across this outfit who has a variety of mostly 7.4/battery gloves, as well as a setup of 12v's.
What stands out to me is that they all note that they heat both sides of the hand, not as big a deal as ya might think and not much of one at all if you have heated grips but still strikes me as a desirable option.

https://voltheat.com/collections/heated-gloves

The Warming Store seems to stock 'em, & gives ya 10% off your first order in exchange for an email address.

Caveat Emptor of course.  I haven't tried 'em myself yet but will likely order a set soon.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 12:02:36 AM »
Been poking around a bit since my current 12v's were not that great and wired on top of it.
I ran across this outfit who has a variety of mostly 7.4/battery gloves, as well as a setup of 12v's.
What stands out to me is that they all note that they heat both sides of the hand, not as big a deal as ya might think and not much of one at all if you have heated grips but still strikes me as a desirable option.

https://voltheat.com/collections/heated-gloves

The Warming Store seems to stock 'em, & gives ya 10% off your first order in exchange for an email address.

Caveat Emptor of course.  I haven't tried 'em myself yet but will likely order a set soon.

Thanks!

Have been studying things - think I might go with a Volt glove this winter. Tried 2 sets of 7V Gerbing linners under my large leather gauntlets. Will ask these folks if the 7V battery liner will not well fit inside a gauntlet. In Gerbing batteries (2!) were in the cuff. Bulky as heck...but learned to live with it. Permitted me to ride all winter in Ohio, in comfort!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Heated Mittens or Gloves ~~ SOLVED
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 12:45:59 AM »
Well, I decided I was not going to carry a 14Ah YUASA battery under my seat to power heated gloves from my Liberty -- and it's measly little 6Ah battery --- and hope for a restart miles from home on a 20°F day!

So, Ordered Volt 7V heated glove liners.....from Volt.
Batteries are carried in the cuff of 7V gloves.
They had my 2XL size, free shipping, and they should work well worn under my Olympia leather gauntlets this winter.

Sunrise temps dropping 20 degrees tonight - so figured I better quit procrastinating.
 No more Gerbing products - because only one working Gerbing 7V glove of the 4 purchased these past 7 yrs.

Another problem with 12V gloves wiring me & my hands to the scooter...
I hop off of my scooter too often for photo taking to be dealing with disconnecting myself from 12V systems! And on a 20 degree day you don't want to be fiddling around getting reconnected....parked roadside, in the dark, in the fog (or the snow!)

Will report how well they work.

Stig
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 12:48:00 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: Heated Gloves? SOLVED!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 04:41:32 AM »
Sounds great Stig, please let us know how they work out.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 12:06:28 AM »
Hey Stig,

Which Olympia gloves are you using, & do you go a size up on them to allow for the liner?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 01:57:45 AM »
Hey Stig,

Which Olympia gloves are you using, & do you go a size up on them to allow for the liner?
They're Olympia  "Wind-Tex", with a useless rubber squeegee  on a thumb😊
And I bought them years ago to try layering my hands for warmth...as we did in the Army (silk, then wool, then leather)
But I ride in the very cold..
so tried & liked 7V glove liners.
Point is, first owned the gauntlets...then bought heated liners. Really will go up a size some day -- rather snug!
Yes, I'd recommend one size up for the leather gauntlets.
Probably help if I'd ever cave in and use a wind screen! But, 4 scoots & never use one. Don't like being behind them.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Heated Gloves? solved again @#$%^!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 11:24:38 AM »
OK, the Volt 7.4V glove liners are too small and are being returned. Ordered XXL - too tight.
Shoot!
Had to cancel my ride this morning because it is 41 degrees F out there. (which = @36 down in the low areas) and 3 hrs is too long without heated gloves.
(especially because I won't ride behind a screen - and find muffs to be dangerous in city traffic)
Sending the Volts back - re-purchased Gerbing 7V liners because they were priced at 33% of the Volt's price - since they are a discontinued glove.
Should get another 3 or 4 winters out of them.
Maybe by then I'll learn to stay home like most sane riders do?

Stig
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 11:26:21 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »
The coffee won't taste the same.
2018 Kymco Like 200i (matte black)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 12:55:17 PM »

Stig

Don't do that Stig, we love the moody shots taken in adverse conditions!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()