Author Topic: New 2018 Like 200i...new owner  (Read 1394 times)

ramblerdrver

• View Profile
New 2018 Like 200i...new owner
« on: September 25, 2019, 05:27:51 PM »
Just bought a new 2018 Kymco Like 200i in matte black. Traded in a 2014 Honda Forza 300 for it.   The Forza was a great scooter (I put 20,000+ miles om it), but my old age and health condition brought out the short comings of it's weight (150 pounds heavier then the Like 200i), making it a chore to push in & out of garage and up & off the center stand. Compared to the Forza, the Like is a joy to push around and get on & off the centerstand.  I've now got about 125 miles on it and am getting use to how easy it is the steer and ride. A couple questions have arisen:

1: Oil change...The owners manual puts a lot of emphasis on the 600 mile service and oil change, but I note there is also and oil change recommended at 200 miles. How many do that oil change?  With only one quart needed, the cost is minimal.

2: Oil used...Honda sells a HP4M oil that has "Moly" in it...the Moly is a friction reducer. Seems like it should be a good choice for the Kymco. Anyone using it?

3: Ride...the ride seems unduly hard, as did the Forza and a Honda Refex 250 before.  Anyone found a way to soften things up? Some of the problem is probably me...my current riding weight with gear is less then 120 pounds.

4: Parking brake and side stand safety switch:  or lack there of! I had thought those came under some Federal requirements. Apparently not!?

Hope to enjoy this scoot for a long time. Really like the style and am planning to ad the fron & rear chrome bumpers and a windshield. Attached are a couple photos...one, simulated xray, the result of a photo app on an iPad.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 05:29:30 PM by ramblerdrver »

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Re: New 2018 Like 200i...new owner
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 08:36:42 PM »
I bought the same 2018 Kymco Like 200i (matte black) at the end of July and have less that 350 miles on mine. Unlike you, I did not have a motorcycle background, so take my answers with a grain of salt:

1: Oil change...The owners manual puts a lot of emphasis on the 600 mile service and oil change, but I note there is also and oil change recommended at 200 miles. How many do that oil change?  With only one quart needed, the cost is minimal. My dealer is less than 10 miles away and I did take mine in for the 200 mile maintenance listed in the owner's manual. They were surprised to see me. I told them I did not want to violate the warranty, so they did the maintenance ($160.00 in SoCal) per the checklist in the manual. As a new rider and non-mechanic, I wasn't bothered by it. Many members here will encourage you perform and document your own self-maintenance actions. My vote is to do what is necessary to keep the warranty alive.

2: Oil used...Honda sells a HP4M oil that has "Moly" in it...the Moly is a friction reducer. Seems like it should be a good choice for the Kymco. Anyone using it? Haven't crossed that bridge yet, but there are plenty of helpful members to answer. As an owner of the same model, I am interested in member responses.

3: Ride...the ride seems unduly hard, as did the Forza and a Honda Refex 250 before.  Anyone found a way to soften things up? Some of the problem is probably me...my current riding weight with gear is less then 120 pounds. As a member of the "chub club" and a new rider, I don't know what a hard ride feels like. When I took my scooter in for that 200 mile, maintenance, I did ask them to adjust the tension in the springs beneath the seat. In my case, I asked them to maximize the setting. You might want to check to see where your springs are set and adjust to suit your ride, load, and streets. Still, I do find my rides smooth until I hit the aberrant manhole cover or crazy San Diego pothole. You may also find some owners protest the stock seat on the Like 200i for discomfort and padding. Perhaps, better padding could soften up your ride.

4: Parking brake and side stand safety switch:  or lack there of! I had thought those came under some Federal requirements. Apparently not!? Like you, I expected the bike to not start with the kickstand down. Just to compare notes, mine will start with either stand down.

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your scooter. I love mine. If you are able to browse through my posts (by finding my profile - click on my name), you will see pictures of how I customized mine.

Have fun and we'll see you around the site.
2018 Kymco Like 200i (matte black)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 09:11:57 PM »
7 years with my LIKE200iLX:

Really ??- new manual for the old 1st gen. LIKE200i recommends an oil change at 200 miles, and 600 miles?
I had mine out at 60 ;)....and at 600. (been awhile since I looked at that page, though :), so might be the same)

Old hands say to stay with dino oil for break-in period (of a couple thou) before going to synthetic. But you aren't going to hurt it with any good brand that meets the specs in the manual.

I have that same Honda oil from a Forza - but don't know what the moly will do in the LIKE. So, I don't use it.

Yeah, at 120lbs you can set the preloads at the softest setting on your rear shocks - but she'll still encourage you to find and enjoy the absolute smoothest routes to your favorite destinations. (sorry about that...it's a lightweight scooter...)

I store a couple stout rubber bands on the right turn signal. Pop one on your front brake when in doubt about your parking grade.

Yeah'll she start with the side stand down.....Don't do it! It can creep forward and fall over while you're closing the garage door!
Use the center stand. Easy enough when you get the hang of it.

The old LX models came in special colors, too! ;)

You'll enjoy your LIKE200i!
Stig
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:46:24 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ramblerdrver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 01:02:48 AM »
Thanls for the responses! I may use the Honda HP4M Moly oil, but not till engine broken in. I'd like to do the 600 mile oil change & inspection myself....anyone know what Kymco's view is on doing that? And how do you show you've done it. The dealer I bought it from should be able to do it (altho the sales staff didn't seem to know a lot about the scooter and the showroom is filled with large 4-wheelers) but it's nice to become familiar with how it's built.

ramblerdrver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 04:03:26 AM »
I see that Kymco has put their Parts Book on line. I signed up for it...but the images and print is so small it's worthless...and I haven't found a way to enlarge it that's readable. Must be doing something wrong...any idea what that could be?  Thanks!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 11:20:12 AM »
Thanls for the responses! I may use the Honda HP4M Moly oil, but not till engine broken in. I'd like to do the 600 mile oil change & inspection myself....anyone know what Kymco's view is on doing that? And how do you show you've done it. The dealer I bought it from should be able to do it (altho the sales staff didn't seem to know a lot about the scooter and the showroom is filled with large 4-wheelers) but it's nice to become familiar with how it's built.
Two thoughts:
Might let the dealer do the 600...and then DIY after that.
Or, keep a log in back pages of owner's manual with the mileage, date and work done. Keep receipts for the oil purchased.
No way you can prove you did the valve check correctly. ...just don't screw it up.
DIYing doesn't void the warranty.....unless you mess up, and it is obvious!
Read your warranty pages over a coffee to get familiar with which parts are covered, and for which part of 24 months.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 02:37:41 PM »
I see that Kymco has put their Parts Book on line. I signed up for it...but the images and print is so small it's worthless...and I haven't found a way to enlarge it that's readable. Must be doing something wrong...any idea what that could be?  Thanks!

First, let me post a picture so than you know it can be done. I am presently wrestling with the two bolts that hold the luggage box rack to the scooter. So, I chose that exploding diagram as a reference.

Like you, when you start a search for parts at kymcousa.com, I found the small diagrams where the text was too small. When I tried to open them, my computer (Mac) alerted me that I needed Adobe Flash player installed to enlarge the diagrams.

So, without knowing what kind of computer you use, or your level of experience with them, it is difficult to help you. But, for my search, I was able to enlarge the parts diagrams after I solved a computer problem - which was to enable Adobe Flash Player for the kymco site.

Hope this helps.
2018 Kymco Like 200i (matte black)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 03:32:09 PM »
Exploded parts diagrams, with prices, have for years been available from several online sources.
Currently, you can click through to the parts of most Kymco products from the dealers listed under the General heading, top of page, in the stickies."buy Kymco parts here"
Easy to access via cell or desktop PC.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

scootertherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 04:32:14 PM »
Congrats. I wonder why we're getting 2018's. Do kymco's run late in the states?  I also bought a matt black 2018 about a month ago, not that I want the latest tech or ABS. I really don't want any of that. lolz

As an aside, I had a people 150 for a few years, as I mentioned elsewhere here. I wasn't very particular about caring for it. I don't think I ever changed the gear oil.  :D I was a snowbird and left it up north w/o running for 6 months at a time. I never took any special care of it  (other than fuel stabilizer) and it never gave me an issue. I have more time to baby things now that I'm fully retired, but I think some of us take it too far w/ these bikes. They really are sturdy.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 04:42:43 PM by scootertherapy »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 07:12:46 PM »
Congrats. I wonder why we're getting 2018's. Do kymco's run late in the states?  I also bought a matt black 2018 about a month ago, not that I want the latest tech or ABS. I really don't want any of that. lolz

As an aside, I had a people 150 for a few years, as I mentioned elsewhere here. I wasn't very particular about caring for it. I don't think I ever changed the gear oil.  :D I was a snowbird and left it up north w/o running for 6 months at a time. I never took any special care of it  (other than fuel stabilizer) and it never gave me an issue. I have more time to baby things now that I'm fully retired, but I think some of us take it too far w/ these bikes. They really are sturdy.
Not sure - but I think the LIKE200i was not available as a 2019 model? Wasn't is discontinued - which is what makes the 2020 'limited edition' kinda special? (they brought it back!) I think they skipped 2019....but plenty of 2018's are probably available.
My '2013' model came off the assembly line in early 2012.
You can see the actual birthday of your scooter on a tag on the frame - my silver label is located up under the rear right side panel.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 01:12:29 AM »
I see that Kymco has put their Parts Book on line. I signed up for it...but the images and print is so small it's worthless...and I haven't found a way to enlarge it that's readable.
We can't see what you're seeing unless you include the URL in your post :-)

ramblerdrver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 10:04:25 PM »
Exploded parts diagrams, with prices, have for years been available from several online sources.
Currently, you can click through to the parts of most Kymco products from the dealers listed under the General heading, top of page, in the stickies."buy Kymco parts here"
Easy to access via cell or desktop PC.
Stig

I have Windows 10 and have been using Goggle Chrome. I can also use Microsoft Edge. Found that both these require approval of Adobe Flash to be used waitha specific site. Found instructions of how to do that and, after much frustration, find I can now view larger images that are readable. Seems to take some extra steps to get there however.  Don't rally need a parts book at the moment, but  it helps learn how the scoot is put together. As Stig states, It's also possible to access parts diagrams thru at least one of the links in "where to buy Kymco parts".

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()