Author Topic: 2009 Kymco Super 8 150 wont start  (Read 2430 times)

Jono21

• View Profile
2009 Kymco Super 8 150 wont start
« on: September 26, 2019, 03:57:04 AM »
Here's the long back story first. I had my bike at work on a thursday and it rained all day I did have a bag over the seat. It ran on  Friday and Saturday I didn't use it again until Monday and when I went to start it nothing.

Checked for spark no spark.  Bought a new spark plug got spark but than it wouldn't give me spark again.

Put in a new ignition coil and wire got spark started for a few seconds and died no spark again.

Now I let it sit for about a week until I got my new CDI so I got that tonight installed it ran longer than it has about 20 secs and then died. Had good spark when I tested it first time then after engine ran for that short period of time no spark again.

I am at a loss why am I getting spark sometimes and why does it start sometimes but than nothing.

Thank you for your help.

Jon

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 Kymco Super 8 150 wont start
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 06:15:47 AM »
What CDI do this scooter have - an AC or DC CDI ?

If the scooter has a DC CDI, the battery might not be fully charged or the battery might be on it's way out.
The CDI"s scooters with DC CDI's need at least 9.5 Volt from the battery to keep the engine running. The lower the Voltage supply from the battery to the CDI's on these models, the weaker the spark will be.

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Jono21

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 01:28:35 PM »
Im not to sure if its AC or DC its an 8 pin CDI if that helps any. I haven't charged the battery since putting in the new CDI so I will give that a try next and report back. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 04:18:22 PM »

Im not to sure if its AC or DC its an 8 pin CDI if that helps any.

I am not sure about 8 pin CDI's.
Apparently the easiest way to find out whether a scooter has an AC or DC CDI is to switch the ignition key on - and then see if the the headlights came on. If the headlights came on, the scooter has a DC CDI.

If the headlights only come on when the engine is running, the scooter has a AC CDI.

Bi6foot666

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 10:01:08 PM »
Its dc. I have same bike.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

Jono21

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 02:18:35 AM »
Im charging the battery so I will give an update tomorrow.

Bi6foot666

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 02:42:28 AM »
Wait does it just click when u try and start it? This happened to me 2 weeks ago. I had to stash bike somewhere and ride other bike to change the starter relay the next day, ride super 8 home, get a lyft back to where agility was and ride that home. Good thing is they are all the same on that and the chinese bike i have sittin in my yard. Easy fix. 2 red wires and one black.

Jono21

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 01:12:39 AM »
Charged up the battery still no spark. I have replaced the CDI, ignition coil and spark plug and got random spark and now no spark any ideas?

Bi6foot666

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 01:38:41 AM »
Check the starter relay.

Jono21

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 01:42:24 AM »
I should be able to check that with a meter?

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 06:03:57 AM »
Charged up the battery still no spark. I have replaced the CDI, ignition coil and spark plug and got random spark and now no spark any ideas?

A battery can be fully charged, but it can still be faulty and not hold power under load. You need to get a proper load test done on the battery to find out whether it's faulty or not.

The DC CDI on your scooter needs to get at least 9.5 Volts from the battery, otherwise you will have starting problems. You can do a simple Voltage test at the CDI's power supply plug to test power supply to the CDI:

1. Unplug the terminals at the CDI.

2. Switch the ignition Swith in "On" position, pull one of the brake Levers, press the starter Button - and do a Voltage test at the loose terminal which supply power to the CDI. (On my scooter the two pin terminal which connects to the CDI has one wire connected to the plug. That  power feed to the CDI is at the wire connected to the two pin plug).

3. You need to get at least a 9.5 Volt reading on that loose terminal while the engine is swinging. If you get a reading lower than 9.5 Volts, chances are very good that the battery is faulty, and does not hold enough power to generate a proper spark to start the engine.

Jono21

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 12:23:30 AM »
Well I like to let you know its finally been fixed.  We I got it to the shop of course they said it started no problem and that the carb needed to be cleaned because of it being gelled up. Luckily they took it on a test drive and it stalled on them and also began to misfire. Turns out it's been a loose wire from the stator this whole time ugh!!!!! Oh well at least it's fixed!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()