Author Topic: Not so quick intro  (Read 1691 times)

Paco

• Northern California
    • View Profile
Not so quick intro
« on: October 05, 2019, 07:25:43 PM »
Hello all, and thank you for having me. I thought my first post ought to be an introduction, and so here goes: I have been riding since 1978 or so, with some breaks here and there. I grew up in the South of France and learned to ride on small bikes 50 to 250cc on twisty roads in the Alps. Moved to California in late 1988, traveled the States a few years and settled back in CA.
Bikes owned, mostly 500 to 750 Japanese brands, and a couple of 1000cc Suzukis. A tricked out 1979 GS and an '03 V-strom.
Now as to what brought me here, well, scooters. I live just five miles from Mount Diablo, which in some ways reminds me of some Alpine rides I used to take. I also used to hunt (to eat, not sport), but now photograph wildlife as a hobby. My last motorcycle experience reshaped what I used to think of in terms of "performance envelope". Especially (here we go) with knackered knees and a dubious lower back. My ability to 'correct' a low speed mishap on a heavier bike, especially one which I can only tiptoe at a stop, is getting close to nil.
While I didn't drop either Suzukis, I came close to it on the GS and the Strom was just too big and tall for me.
I also thought about how a bike fits in my current lifestyle.
I test rode a new X-Town 300 two days ago as a result, but that's for another post.

Again, thanks for having me!  :D
2019 Kymco X-Town 300i

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Not so quick intro
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 07:44:05 PM »
Welcome Paco to the forum you will find plenty of good talk and info here. I used to live in the Bay Area and Monterey before moving to Oregon. ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 07:46:02 PM by big blue »
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Paco

• Northern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 09:48:18 PM »
This is the unit I tested in Oakland. I hoped the dealer could source a leftover 2018 in matte white but everyone seems to go with these matte darker shades.  ::)
I'm planning on buying next month once the insurance rates stars line up, and close the deal. There's a MyRoad 700 with less than 7K miles priced at $3000 close to me but this thing's too large for my purposes. Besides, as thin as the aftermarket is for the X-town, it's worse for the MyRoad and I worry about parts availability.
The X-town's not perfect but it seemed to me a perfectly useful mount.
Thank you for the welcomes!
2019 Kymco X-Town 300i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 12:52:26 AM »
Welcome! This forum is fun and non-fattening! Lotsa fogies on here that have forsaken motor-cycles for motor-scooters plus several others who are by-cyclexual with both. 400 pounds are about my limit and there are several of those, old and new. Pictures soon after your decision, please!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 11:16:20 AM »

The X-town's not perfect but it seemed to me a perfectly useful mount.
Thank you for the welcomes!

Welcome Paco, I'm sure you'll enjoy your scoot when you get it and the forum.
As for the XT300, I bought one a month ago and am really enjoying riding it.  One hiccup so far which you can read about elsewhere, but overall, no regrets so far in opting for the XT over the £2K more expensive (over here) Honda Forza 300!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 03:30:14 PM »
Welcome Paco to the forum. I have driven scooters for years in Rome and now I continue to do so in the US. It is much easier on the hands, back and legs...lol

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 09:28:06 AM »
Welcome Paco to the forum. I have driven scooters for years in Rome and now I continue to do so in the US. It is much easier on the hands, back and legs...lol

Dean
That's so true Dean.  My back plays me up on occasion such that I found I was riding my scooter far more than my racing crouch Daytona 955i!  Forced a reappraisal, after which I reluctantly traded in my 20 year-old Triumph in for a Street Triple and I find the more upright stance on that much more to my back's liking  :D

Day long comfort on either mount now which suits me fine.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Paco

• Northern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 09:09:59 PM »
It's home. The timing ended up not working for next month, so I made the deal yesterday...

2019 Kymco X-Town 300i

scootertherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 07:40:38 PM »
Congrats. How you liking it?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 08:16:09 PM »
It's home. The timing ended up not working for next month, so I made the deal yesterday...

Is anyone else not seeing anything here?
Stig
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 02:15:06 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 09:11:36 PM »
NOPE
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

wbdvt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 01:53:49 PM »
Not seeing anything
2012 Kymco Downtown 200i, 2016 Vespa Sprint 150, 2006 Vespa GTS 250

Paco

• Northern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 03:12:01 PM »
Hmmm. I'll try again after I get back home tomorrow sometime.
2019 Kymco X-Town 300i

Paco

• Northern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 07:05:21 PM »

Hopefully this photo will show. It does on my end but then...
Initial impressions on the X-T: it feels substantial, though very easy to move around and put on the centerstand, tires provide very good grip at least in dry conditions. I only put about 30 miles on it since last Tuesday.
I rode it back from Oakland on back roads with a few straights with a posted limit of 50 mph, some hairpin turns coming down from Tilden park, nothing very challenging.
I only gave it half throttle at the most, which amounts to about 45 mph. There were some moderate crosswinds by Orinda, Lafayette which didn't affect handling in the least but created some noticeable buffeting from the screen.
Under these conditions, I found the brakes rather good in terms of power and feedback but I'll know more when I ride down from mount Diablo hopefully tomorrow.
I was initially disappointed when I did the test ride a couple weeks back by some factors:
the single glove compartment with the USB charger is shallow and I had to place my Motorola G5 sideways to close it up securely. On the right side is the coolant overflow reservoir. When looking at the bike from the rear, you can see the seat appears misaligned with the right side (where the seat strut is located) slightly higher than the left. This is cosmetic however,  the seat is securely mounted and this is the only fit issue I could find. With a top case in place, it should not be so apparent.
I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and can flatfoot it easily with legs extended straight down, sitting at the front of the saddle. I may be shrinking with age.
I feel like I'm sitting on top of the bike, rather than "in" it like I suspect I would on the previous generation Burgman 400, but take that comment with a grain of salt. The seat is very good in terms of padding and support front and back allowing me to move forward closer to the bars in twisties, and backwards against the backstop to relax on the straights. I'd comment on legroom more after I have more time in the saddle.
I love how absolutely quiet it is at idle. It does sound and vibrate like a good old little thumper but smoothes out as revs go up. We'll see how it does at higher RPMs after the break-in period.
I also really appreciate the angled tire valve stems for ease of access.

It looks much better in the flesh (plastic?) than in photos, and from 3/4 front view, it reminded me of the Yamaha Tmax 530, which I happen to like. Now that I've had it a week, and maybe because I've been too busy to do anything about it, every time I look at it in my driveway, the bike makes me want to ride. When I got home with it from the dealership, the word that came to mind was "calm".

2019 Kymco X-Town 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 07:30:50 PM »
Thanks for the photos!

Seems like a good scooter - $1500 less than the last Honda 300 in this country.
My late brother drove a Porsche Boxster …..with few cup holders - kinda like your 300 scooter with a difficult cell phone box.
Americans.... :)

Stig

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 07:35:06 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()