Author Topic: 2014 Agility 125 No Spark issue  (Read 1940 times)

bold2000

• View Profile
2014 Agility 125 No Spark issue
« on: October 13, 2019, 05:08:58 PM »
Hi guys,

I am new here to this forum based in Miami, I just bought a used Agility 125 with 800 miles on it. As lucky as I am after about 100 miles it stopped running. After investigating I have found that there is no spark but it's turning over. The things I have done so far.

1) cut the yellow/black wire going to the CDI to rule out the kill switch
2) replaced the coil cable
3) new spark plug
4) replaced the rectifier
5) checked the stator (when turning over the light comes on, so it should be good)

At this point I don't know what to do anymore, I have ordered this CDI which will come tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZI7UVYK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope someone can point me in the right direction, thank you very much in advance for your help.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Agility 125 No Spark issue
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 07:14:06 PM »
My Agility is a 2009 model and it didn't came with a kill switch. The engine can only be killed by turning the ignition switch to the "Off" position. If your Agility has a separate kill switch, the wiring on your scooter will obviously different from my 2009 model.

My Agitily has a DC CDI. if your scooter also has a DC CDI, the first thing you actually need to do is to get a proper load test done on your battery. Or you can unplug the two pin plug at the CDI - and do a Voltage test on the wire connected to the disconnected two pin plug with ignition switch in "On" position,and somebody pull a brake lever and press the starter button.
If the Voltage reading at the disconnected plug is less than 9.5 Volt - it means the battery is not fully charged, or it might be on it's way out. In a case like that you will have a poor spark at the plug, or no spark at all.
Scooters with DC CDI's need at least 9.5 Volt at the CDI, otherwise it can cause starting problems.

The fact that your scooter seem to have a separate(?) kill switch is a bit confusing. It might even have an AC CDI - which means a Voltage test in paragraph 2 will not be applicable.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 07:17:08 PM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

bold2000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 08:04:24 PM »
I tested a smaller CDI unit of ebay but the fuse kept blowing. From reading this forum I have found out that the smaller CDI units are AC and the bigger ones are DC. My Agility has a big CDI unit so I presume its a DC unit, which is also the common unit for a 4 stroke scooter.

My scooter has a kill switch which could cause a problem but again from reading here all you have to do is cut the black/yellow wire. I haven't load tested the battery yet but it reads 12.5 V.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 08:12:06 PM by bold2000 »

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 04:46:18 AM »
A 12 Volt reading at the battery itself doesn’t mean much. As mentioned, the battery need to be tested under load.

The wires on these scooters are quite thin - therefore you’ll always get a lower Voltage reading at the CDI plug - even with a brand new battery. On a brand new battery the Voltage reading at the plug should be at least 9.6 Volts.
If the battery is on it’s way out or not fully charged, the scooter will start giving starting problems because the Voltage reading at the unplugged CDI terminal will be less than 9.5 Volt. The weaker the Voltage reading at the unplugged terminal, the weaker the spark at the spark plug will be.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 04:50:14 AM by scooterfan »

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 06:48:49 AM »
I tested a smaller CDI unit of ebay but the fuse kept blowing. From reading this forum I have found out that the smaller CDI units are AC and the bigger ones are DC.

Connecting an AC CDI will pop all the fuses.  It'll also fry the AC CDI unit.  Other than that, no harm done!

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 06:50:25 AM »

The fact that your scooter seem to have a separate(?) kill switch is a bit confusing.

The separate kill switch is required on all motorcycles in America.  Yours is simply the non-American variant.

bold2000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 03:33:29 PM »
Do you guys know where the main ground connection on the frame is? Thank you for the answers so far still waiting to check the battery but I believe it's not the problem because I have spark during a kick start either.

bold2000

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 09:38:10 PM »
A quick update on what I have done far, the only thing left is the stator I will get it by the end of the week. Otherwise I don't know what to do anymore.

I have replaced spark plug, coil, CDI and rectifier.

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 06:09:53 AM »

Thank you for the answers so far still waiting to check the battery but I believe it's not the problem because I have spark during a kick start either.

You might have spark when you use the kick starter - but when you use the starter button the starter motor draws  power from the battery. This means the Voltage drop at the CDI plug could easily be too much when you use the starter button. I would definitely do a Voltage test at the CDI plug.

Regarding the main ground on the frame - I have no idea where it is, but you could easily install a DIY ground directly from the battery.

bold2000

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 01:39:12 AM »
Ok I finally found the issue, it was the coil at the end. I had cut the black/yellow wire going to the CDI thinking it will eliminate the killswitch out of the picture and kept working on other electric components. Once I reconnected and tried another coil cable it fired right up. Now I have a second problem with the fuel lines I believe but I will make a separate thread.

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 10:09:36 AM »
Wow. With only about 900 miles on the odometer the last component I would expect to be faulty is the coil.

Maybe there is good reason to believe that the quality of electric components on these scooters are quite poor ?

Anyway, good luck - hopefully you will be mobile soon.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()