Author Topic: Earplugs & scooter riding  (Read 754 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Earplugs & scooter riding
« on: October 17, 2019, 08:13:10 PM »
I stopped on my way through town this morning to re-seat an earplug, which was letting in some wind noise.
I always ride with earplugs.

It's no secret that riding a scooter or a motorcycle without earplugs causes hearing damage. Hearing damage causes hearing loss. It is cumulative.
Some are mislead to believe that certain helmet brands or styles will prevent this hearing damage. ALL helmets permit damage from the air movement about the head.

Every ENT doctor on the planet, and every reputable riding source promotes wearing earplugs.

Some riders say it is not safe to ride with earplugs. It would be much more accurate to state, "They do not feel safe wearing earplugs."

Do some reading - you might decide to wear them, always - as I do.

Stig
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 10:52:42 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Earplugs & scooter riding
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 09:13:56 PM »
Absolutely agree Stig. I’ve always worn them and working with Police riders who’ve suffered hearing loss only served to convince me that it’s a wise precaution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 09:29:06 PM »
At 80 and still with my good hearing.....and high mileage rider---been using them for about the last 40 years, sometimes they are uncomfortable   and seem to limit my days to 400 miles or less as they become really uncomfortable at this point.  I always use lube to let them slide easy into ear canals.

In addition to wind/bike noise, I find freeways seem to produce just lots of noise, and the foam plugs reduce that to liveable levels.

christianblessing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 09:44:18 PM »
I backed an Indiegogo campaign for a product called QuietOn. It's a noise-cancelling earbud using active noise cancelling. No Bluetooth and and no music. The frequency is somewhat narrow, blocking largely low frequencies. Perfect for wind and buffeting but still allowing horns and sirens through. Cured my wife's snoring too.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Kymco X-Town 300
Kymco People 250
Kymco 200i
Vespa P125X
Yamaha N Max 155

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 04:41:04 AM »
I like using my Beats Pro...nice music, doesn't completely block out the ambient sound and keeps the road noise down
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 11:07:39 AM »
Isn't it illegal to wear earplugs while riding/driving in Ohio or have they finally changed that?  Regardless, I always wear earplugs when I ride. 

Over the years I have tried many different brands of ear plugs but by far the best I have found are the Howard Leight Laser Light ear plugs.  They are both more effective and more comfortable than any of the others I have used. 

Besides protecting my hearing I find I can ride much longer with ear plugs because I don't get so fatigued from all the wind noise. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 09:03:37 PM »
My hearing aids are fairly effective ear plugs.  I just turn them off while riding.
Like 150i ABS

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 10:27:29 AM »

My hearing aids are fairly effective ear plugs.  I just turn them off while riding.

;)
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()