Author Topic: Screen recommendation for the LIKE200I?  (Read 2888 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Screen recommendation for the LIKE200I?
« on: October 20, 2019, 12:31:04 AM »
OK, a few yrs ago I passed another of those blasted decade landmarks of life....and am at least toying with the idea of adding a screen to my 7 yr old LIKE200ILX for my cold winter rides here in Ohio.
I want to use a screen with some wind deflection for the hands molded into it at the outer edges.

But I do not want to lose the front signal pods.
Is there a tallish such screen available for the LIKE200I in the USA?
Most seem to require the removal of the turn pods.
Any recommendations, please?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ramblerdrver

• View Profile
Re: Screen recommendation for the LIKE200I?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 04:54:08 AM »
I recently installed the Kymco windshield (GH-403B-A0) on my 2018 200i. Photo attached (I hope!). Doesn't have any "wings" on it to deflect wind from my hands, but it has been a big improvement in riding comfort...no more holding on against the wind. The photo should show how it mounts...no removal of the turn signal needed. It came with ZERO instructions...which is apparently normal.  I did run into a slight problem...the bracket under the righthand mirror (throttle side) pressed up against the plasctic handle bar cover, moving it slightly enough for the throttle grip to drag a bit on the cover. I used a Dremel tool to grind a notch in the cover so the bracket wouldn't touch the plastic when tightened down.

Got this windshield off eBay. When I bought the scooter a month ago I ordered a windshield and chrome front (GH-879-A0) and chrome rear (GH-857-A0) from the dealer. After two weeks they couldn't tell me when and/or if the windshield would arrive. So canceled the order for the windshield at the dealer and bought one out of eBay I left the chrome bumpers on order. It's now been a month and still they can't tell me when or if those chrome bumpers will be coming. Have sent a couple emails to KymcoUsa asking if these parts were still availiable..using their contact form...no response! Is this "normal' public relations from Kymco?

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 08:48:36 AM »
Interested in comfort or looks?   Best protection I can see on the market is Givi, not cheap but their stuff usually works and does not fall apart----My Givi E-46 Box now 21 year old, over 500,000 miles and still cooking. I had good luck with their Adjustable Shields on SilverWings and Burgman 400's---never broke/good protection.

Problem with US model Like direction lights(older ones) the lights interfere with the brackets.  Think this came be overcome.

Proper windshield/weather protection really makes life pleasant----with proper look over....idiots look thru.  I think it is nice to see what you might hit, etc.

Spring of 1959 I discovered Heinrich Fairings for my BMW----after miserable winter with small IDEAL shield.
These and others, and experience have enabled me to keep riding thru thick and thin.  Wish I could ride naked bike, but when you ride in all weathers=don't work!!

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 03:20:01 PM »
...idiots look thru.
Not a problem for a guy who rides such a high horse.
2018 Kymco Like 200i (matte black)

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 05:09:26 PM »
I stand by "idiots look thru"-----looking thru how do you see in rain/snow/fog/on coming lights, etc.  My experience is over 1.5 million 2 wheel miles.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 10:02:51 PM »
I recently installed the Kymco windshield (GH-403B-A0) on my 2018 200i. Photo attached (I hope!). Doesn't have any "wings" on it to deflect wind from my hands, but it has been a big improvement in riding comfort...no more holding on against the wind. The photo should show how it mounts...no removal of the turn signal needed. It came with ZERO instructions...which is apparently normal.  I did run into a slight problem...the bracket under the righthand mirror (throttle side) pressed up against the plasctic handle bar cover, moving it slightly enough for the throttle grip to drag a bit on the cover. I used a Dremel tool to grind a notch in the cover so the bracket wouldn't touch the plastic when tightened down.

Got this windshield off eBay. When I bought the scooter a month ago I ordered a windshield and chrome front (GH-879-A0) and chrome rear (GH-857-A0) from the dealer. After two weeks they couldn't tell me when and/or if the windshield would arrive. So canceled the order for the windshield at the dealer and bought one out of eBay I left the chrome bumpers on order. It's now been a month and still they can't tell me when or if those chrome bumpers will be coming. Have sent a couple emails to KymcoUsa asking if these parts were still availiable..using their contact form...no response! Is this "normal' public relations from Kymco?
It has been a while since I've used the Kymco/contact email to ask them a question.
I always got a fairly quick response - maybe 2 or 3 days at the most.

With the loss of kymcopartsmonster, our best USA parts source, which was located near Kymco USA, (or at least in the same state, if I recall correctly) things seem to have changed.

It does not seem that any dealer will comment that things are just peachy with KymcoUSA these days.
It almost seems that they have drawn down the company, or are working short staffed or something - due to poor N. American sales of all scooters and motorcycles?
Fortunately we're still getting some few nice models from their massive world-wide line-up.

Kymco accessories, while of good quality,  always seemed few and a little hard to source. My dealer took too long on my crash bars, so I found some in stock via a Texas dealer.
At least our crash bars are better than the ones sold in Europe. The mounts are much more solid on our set.

Let me see if we can get a statement of corporate health, or near-future plans from KYMCO/USA.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 11:48:02 PM »
I have the Puig Traffic model which is a shorter height but still keeps the air flow out of my chest but here is a link to the larger Puig model which does not require removing the winkers .....https://www.scooterdynasty.com/windshieldpuigclearfor50cc-200ikymcolike.aspx
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 11:49:42 PM by big blue »
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

ramblerdrver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 03:30:52 AM »
It has been a while since I've used the Kymco/contact email to ask them a question.
I always got a fairly quick response - maybe 2 or 3 days at the most.

With the loss of kymcopartsmonster, our best USA parts source, which was located near Kymco USA, (or at least in the same state, if I recall correctly) things seem to have changed.

It does not seem that any dealer will comment that things are just peachy with KymcoUSA these days.
It almost seems that they have drawn down the company, or are working short staffed or something - due to poor N. American sales of all scooters and motorcycles?
Fortunately we're still getting some few nice models from their massive world-wide line-up.

Kymco accessories, while of good quality,  always seemed few and a little hard to source. My dealer took too long on my crash bars, so I found some in stock via a Texas dealer.
At least our crash bars are better than the ones sold in Europe. The mounts are much more solid on our set.

Let me see if we can get a statement of corporate health, or near-future plans from KYMCO/USA.

Stig

I figure that the drop in scooter and small bije sales has affected Kymco in the USA.The two local motorcycle dealers (Non Harley) have few scooters but lots of large 4x4 and side-by-sides for sale.  :(

Let us know what you hear from KymcoUsa.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 08:13:51 AM »
I used to use a seperate set of handguards with the Kymco - can't find the picture now but they looked like this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Motorcycle-Hand-Guard-Winter-Wind-Deflector-Shield-For-Harley-Road-Honda-UK/152986821987?epid=15018250182&hash=item239eb9a563:g:Wl4AAOSwS2lcNHgK

They weren't great, but they did help a bit with keeping the rain off when moving.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

ramblerdrver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 05:01:48 PM »

Stig

Were you able to contact KymcoUSA?

brrrr....November forecast not looking good for late season rides!

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 06:43:11 PM »
Wonder if Kymco (and other scooter makers) would have success w an ad campaign stressing both the fun and
cost savings of scooter riding?

When I run an errand or make a trip by car, it's like I have to go somewhere.
When it's by scooter or m/c, it's like I get to go somewhere.
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 10:20:55 PM »
Wonder if Kymco (and other scooter makers) would have success w an ad campaign stressing both the fun and
cost savings of scooter riding?

When I run an errand or make a trip by car, it's like I have to go somewhere.
When it's by scooter or m/c, it's like I get to go somewhere.
Won't find any interest in the USA at $2.60 a gallon.
We start going way over $4 - there will be some, not much - but some.
Scooters aren't cool - except to other scooter owners. And there are darn few of them.

Vespas, maybe, are cool - when seen parked somwhere.

Motorcycles at least, can be cool.
Try to find a salesman who thinks scooters are neat to be seen on😊
Stig

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 10:23:02 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 01:57:55 PM »
Scooters don't really sell that much in the UK and our petrol costs 5x what yours does :(
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

IAATM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 04:39:09 AM »
According to Bloomberg, a gallon of gasoline in the UK costs $5.97 per gallon, and here in San Diego, I'm paying about $4.25 per gallon...….so more like a $1.72/gallon more, which is ~40% (as opposed to 500%).

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/gas-prices/#20193:United-Kingdom:USD:g

I'm not sure that that changes your fundamental premise, about the popularity of scooters in the UK, but it might perhaps possibly have more to do with weather/climate/etc than the price of gasoline.

sailorman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2019, 12:42:50 AM »
I installed the Slipstreamer 66 last year and after spot welding the brackets which kept vibrating loose it has done very well for me.
Honda CB350 (Ret.)
Honda Metropolitan
Kymco 200i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()