Author Topic: Thinking about buying new Like 200i  (Read 3042 times)

john grinsel

• View Profile
Thinking about buying new Like 200i
« on: October 21, 2019, 04:44:30 PM »
Thinking about buying new Like 200i in the spring----used sale of my 2019 XTown 300i ABS may just about pay for it.

Looks like Givi Windshield offers about the best protection based on measurements I"ve made.  As ABS model does not come with top box----Givi Monolock rack and box will work---3.5 inch hole cut in top for dog's Head to come out.  The rear/side bumpers probably good fixing point for cords.

Do not expect any running troubles, like air cooled---I am tire sensitive, if OEM tires not please me may change to Michelin right away----will be 81 in spring, lighter bike maybe easier to get up on lift---expect performance to be about equal to my P150E Vespa, which works for me.

Gas tank a little small but will carry 1 qt camp stove gas container to prevent walking.

AND there may be bonus with the Givi Windshield---your nose may be close to tip of shield and there will be little or no buffeting....something Maxi scooters do not offer (on my 11th since 1990, Helix being my favorite, had 4 new ones)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about buying new Like 200i
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 06:01:15 PM »
Thinking about buying new Like 200i in the spring----used sale of my 2019 XTown 300i ABS may just about pay for it.

Looks like Givi Windshield offers about the best protection based on measurements I"ve made.  As ABS model does not come with top box----Givi Monolock rack and box will work---3.5 inch hole cut in top for dog's Head to come out.  The rear/side bumpers probably good fixing point for cords.

Do not expect any running troubles, like air cooled---I am tire sensitive, if OEM tires not please me may change to Michelin right away----will be 81 in spring, lighter bike maybe easier to get up on lift---expect performance to be about equal to my P150E Vespa, which works for me.

Gas tank a little small but will carry 1 qt camp stove gas container to prevent walking.

AND there may be bonus with the Givi Windshield---your nose may be close to tip of shield and there will be little or no buffeting....something Maxi scooters do not offer (on my 11th since 1990, Helix being my favorite, had 4 new ones)

John,
By next spring you should be able to find a new LIKE200i for not much more than a song, with Ukulele accompaniment. 
Other than paint schemes - there have been no changes over the many years of this scooter.

I have thought for some years of my ownership that Kymco got this scooter pretty darn "right", from the get-go!
Aircooled, EFI, dual discs, dual rear shocks, big tail light. The brakes are amazing - due to the braided brake lines?

The Kendas are fine for some - but the brakes being so much better than the tires - I swapped 'em out at 400 miles for City Grips....and got 12,000 on the rear and 15,000+ on the front.

Dead easy to self-service. I dropped in a 14Ah YUASA - but even with the stock 8 or 9 AH battery the EFI starts were amazing, in all temps.

No parking brake, no side stand cut-off (regardless what the owner's manual says) no ABS or LEDs.

Only recall that I'm aware of is the fuel line clamp loose on the 2018 models.

It's been around for @ 9 years, I think. Sold as a 125 in S. America, Asia and Europe.
Haven't done a top speed run in a few years - but probably GPS'ing @55 > 59MPH. NOT a highway cruiser....too light, too short, 12" wheels.

Stig
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:07:07 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scootertherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 02:21:39 AM »
I don't mind the tires so far,, but I've seen some guys who've dropped who blame the tires.  I like that I can leave it running and put the kick stand down and there is no abs on mine. Don't want any nanny stuff. Welcome to the young guy. Can't stop riding or taking pix of it. How many miles can one expect out of the oem tires?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 02:31:23 AM by scootertherapy »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 11:02:19 AM »
I don't mind the tires so far,, but I've seen some guys who've dropped who blame the tires.  I like that I can leave it running and put the kick stand down and there is no abs on mine. Don't want any nanny stuff. Welcome to the young guy. Can't stop riding or taking pix of it. How many miles can one expect out of the oem tires?

The Kendas?
Don't know really.
Long time.
 His family never thinks to tell us.
😊
Stig
PS: yeah, no ABS on any 1st gen LIKEs.
As they say, "don't need it - until you do."
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:07:46 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 04:25:28 PM »
The Kenda tires are a bit hard but do last well. I have 10,000 miles on mine and the rear is ready to be replaced but the front would probably go another 2-3000. I will replace both next spring but have yet to decide which brand of tire.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 06:06:17 PM »
The Kenda tires are a bit hard but do last well. I have 10,000 miles on mine and the rear is ready to be replaced but the front would probably go another 2-3000. I will replace both next spring but have yet to decide which brand of tire.
Just a thought...
I had 12,000 on my rear City Grip - not yet to wear bars when I replaced it. 15,000 on the front, still going. Riding habits, I guess.
In other words,  a good tire can last as long as a Kenda.
@$100 for a set of the Michelins...
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 06:41:40 AM »
Just a thought...

@$100 for a set of the Michelins...

Stig

This sounds quite expensive. I recently paid ZAR530 = US$36 for a 130/70/12 Michelin City Grip in South Africa. A set would cost me less than $70.00.

I assume the $100 were for 12” wheels ?
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 12:40:47 PM »
This sounds quite expensive. I recently paid ZAR530 = US$36 for a 130/70/12 Michelin City Grip in South Africa. A set would cost me less than $70.00.

I assume the $100 were for 12” wheels ?
You're closer to Michelin's rubber trees😊
$70 is about the price of a set of the stock Kendas.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 06:08:03 PM »
You're closer to Michelin's rubber trees😊
$70 is about the price of a set of the stock Kendas.
Stig

It might have something to do with harsh competition between different local dealers. When I was shopping around for a tire I asked for quotes from different dealers and all dealers actually lowered their initial price to get a deal.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 10:39:41 AM »
Yesterday, 37 F, rode down to my Kymco Dealer in Dalton GA---about 30-35 miles depending on route, to look at the 2019 Like-----I know the newest models have different 4 valve engines (good), Gas filler moved to front (very good, as you don't have to take luggage mounted on passenger seat to open it to re-fuel).

Now I noticed the 2019 still had the directional lights mounted on Mickey Mouse brackets for US markets....can restrict windshield mounting!   My question here is, does anyone know if the 2020's will have the direction lights mounted in the way the rest of the world does??

Note:  rode my 2019 XTown 300i----back, high crowned rural road----was trying somewhat lowered tire pressure, 27 front, 30 rear.   Bike still wandered and wasn't really fun to ride----so today will up the pressure to 29 front and 33 rear.-----the bike and I are very tire sensitive, current City Grip on rear, OEM on front bike has about 9,000 miles.

For people, without proper cold weather gear, cold trip could have been miserable---I used jeans/long underwear---feather shirt and vest under Darien Jacket, Aerostich Kombat Lite Boots, pants tucked in, 3/4 helmet, safety sunglasses, Langlitz big gloves (not cheap, but they last...two new pair since 1966, and work well down to about 35-40 degrees F for long rides) Windshield--Puig Touring with Laminar Lip bolted on.

Wasn't planning on any rain but had rain pants and Aerostich over mitts along.   Kombat Lite Boots can keep feet dry for about a day plus on scooter in rain.   Had this been long ride, would have worn my Wolverine waterproof Wellingtons-----with them feet never get wet or cold.

Again Direction Lights on 2020 Like my question/interest.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 11:32:19 AM »
Probably will still be using the add-on turn pods - unless the design changes drastically.
 The old and new LIKE has front panel lights too low, or too close together to meet US regs.
Adding a light to the mirror back would probably meet regs...but would be a cost.
 Kymco would have little reason to bow to those few who don't like the add-on pods -- since the USA is such a tiny scooter market.

So, no, can't see it happening from the factory, but a good bike shop could rewire the front panel and delete the pods....
Nothing gets inspected, or failed, in my State...by the looks of the junk rolling on our roads.
Stig
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 11:37:44 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 12:52:25 PM »
have the regulations changed, recently, regarding turn signal placement? I was about to respond to John's question saying that the add on turn signals were required for the US market (that used to be the case) but a quick look at new Vespas shows they don't have the add on pods. They use the lights like the rest of the world does.

I know scooters can be retrofitted or rewired to use the existing front lights for turn signals. I even saw a replacement factory LED front (turn signal) light for my People S200 while looking at factory parts online. That would be cool but it was very expensive.

2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 03:09:49 PM »
have the regulations changed, recently, regarding turn signal placement? I was about to respond to John's question saying that the add on turn signals were required for the US market (that used to be the case) but a quick look at new Vespas shows they don't have the add on pods. They use the lights like the rest of the world does.

I know scooters can be retrofitted or rewired to use the existing front lights for turn signals. I even saw a replacement factory LED front (turn signal) light for my People S200 while looking at factory parts online. That would be cool but it was very expensive.

No, the added light pods are not required....your signals just must meet the regs for placement. Distance apart, height, relationship to headlight, etc.
Vespas do. Likes don't.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 10:08:25 PM »
After over 75 new bikes/scoooters, I do not re-wire anything----just another pain in butt when you are in the middle of nowhere and things go wrong.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 11:18:54 PM »
I won't argue with that.😊
Even as a teenager, reliability is my #1, too.
(so I started with a Honda 90)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()