Author Topic: Humorous Truck Serv. Tech.  (Read 1132 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Humorous Truck Serv. Tech.
« on: November 06, 2019, 03:25:43 PM »
Had my Silverado oil changed at local Chevy dealer a few days ago.
While under the hood replacing the airfilter yesterday I noticed that my dipstick was showing an oil level as seen in the photo.

An email reply from the serv. dept. gave me the proper instructions for checking the oil level,
"WHEN VEHICLE HAS SAT FOR 2 HOURS YOU HAVE TO START THE ENGINE  AND LET RUN
FOR 10-15 SECONDS, THEN TURN OFF AND WAIT 5-10 SECONDS. REMOVE DIP STICK,
THEN REINSERT AND PULL AND READ OIL LEVEL. THIS IS THE PROPER PROCEDURE.
WHEN VEHICLE SITS FOR 2 HOURS OIL DRAINS FROM THE TOP OF THE ENGINE TO THE
OIL PAN CAUSING AN OVERFULL READING. Thanks Tim M."

Service bill shows they put in 6 Qts of oil into my 4.5 Qt. engine!
(my fault for not checking the print-out)

This is what 6 Qts  looks like in a 4.5 Qt oil pan.

Pd $51 for this official Chevy Serv. Dept. oil change.
Headed back for a chat with Tim.

As Rosanne AnnaDanna said: "It's always somethin'!"
Stig

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 06:09:57 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Humorous Truck Serv. Tech.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 06:16:42 PM »
My teenage daughter is always telling me to 'chill' - when stuff like this happens.

So, I did.

A few hand shakes, pats on the back - a conversation with the young trainee who did the work - and I was in and out, with no appointment, in 45mins.

As I told the boss, "Hey, stuff happens - not like I never made a mistake at work!" :)

Stig

Oh, yeah. My next two oil changes are free.
My daughter would have been proud of me.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 07:29:40 PM »

My daughter would have been proud of me.

As are we all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 04:40:22 PM »
Well done, sir! Now I wonder is the filter: tight? Loose? Overtight? Is the drain bolt: tight? Loose? Overtight? Stripped? Missing? Is the filler cap: tight? Loose overtight? Stripped? Missing? Not to worry! Chill! See ya!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 05:06:06 PM »
Well done, sir! Now I wonder is the filter: tight? Loose? Overtight? Is the drain bolt: tight? Loose? Overtight? Stripped? Missing? Is the filler cap: tight? Loose overtight? Stripped? Missing? Not to worry! Chill! See ya!
Yeah, thanks!
I go to the Chevy dealer to get the oil change - because I don't want some kid doing it at the $20 oil change quickie places. Willing to pay $50 to get it done correctly.
So, they give the job to a kid/trainee!
I want to get the plugs changed - but I'm not going to pay $360 to the dealer.
Will find a reputable shop.
If my brother was still alive I'd trust his mega-mall dealership. (his employees told two of my daughters that he was a funny guy - but very tough to satisfy)
Ah, me.

Stig

And today I get a customer survey from the serv. manager.
I think it is best I just delete his email. I'm sure the lesson was learned back in that serv. area.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 08:39:12 PM »
Maybe the kid thought it really was a Ford Silverado.....used the wrong specs.... :P
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 10:06:41 PM »
Maybe the kid thought it really was a Ford Silverado.....used the wrong specs.... :P
Shee-oot, think you might be right!
Believe the rare Chevy F-150's use 6 Qts.

Alibabba-da sold me the wrong dipstick.....
Sorry kid. My bad.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 03:31:21 AM »
That’s unfortunate.  Although they should know better, the 4.3 (I assume that’s what it is) is the only engine choice that takes 4.5 quarts. I believe the rest of the engines use close to 6 qts. Also, I’ve seen one person pump the oil that was set for another tech. So someone else may have only 4.5 qts in a 6 qts pan . Yes, they should have checked to verify the level after they finished.

That’s why I and most other mechanics HATE doing oil changes. It’s the ONE thing that has the smallest reward (pays 3/10) , usually has to be done in rush ( because of the oil change places offering 10 minute oil changes , and the biggest potential for disaster if a mistake is made (could result in a ruined engine).
And can result in a bad survey (causing the service writer to get SIGNIFICANTLY reduced pay that pay period).

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 03:34:31 AM »
Glad you deleted the survey. Nothing discourages a dealer more than attempting to make it right with the customer ( such as a free oil change, free car wash, discount on repairs) then realizing the customer BURNED them on a survey anyway.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 03:43:24 AM »
My greatest boo boo 20 years ago was getting distracted by a question and forgetting to tighten the lug nuts on a nearly new Grand marquis. Imagine my shock when the service writer came in and asked WHO had just done the rotation on said car because the “wheel had done run off” in the driveway.
Damage: wheel, rotor, front fender. Thankfully, they were only going about 10mph. It earned me the name “LUGNUT” at the dealership.
The ELDERLY customer  still gave us a good survey because our manager made it right. They told FORD that we fixed the damage, provided them a rental, and that they WOULD still recommend us and come back. 

Why did I share this story? I have no idea other than to say that mechanics are human too who sometimes to STUPID things and feel VERY BAD
BADLY when we do.

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 01:36:02 PM »
mechanics are human too who sometimes to STUPID things and feel VERY BAD
BADLY when we do.
I've much less of a problem with the kid using too much oil (thanks for pointing out that most do use 6Qts) - but the email explanation from the serv. writer just seemed too bizarre. I checked his instructions with two other Chevy dealer serv. depts. and could find no support for it.
I learned that this old fellow was a new employee (from the dealer operator - who'd never heard of him -"must be new" )
He went very quiet when I handed him the serv. receipt which listed that 6 Qts of oil had been put in my 4.3Lt engine.

His email explanation for the proper way to check the oil showed so much imagination and flare - that I've voted him through to the final round of "Mechanic's Song & Dance" in Atlantic City.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 06:46:35 PM »
I've much less of a problem with the kid using too much oil (thanks for pointing out that most do use 6Qts) - but the email explanation from the serv. writer just seemed too bizarre. I checked his instructions with two other Chevy dealer serv. depts. and could find no support for it.
I learned that this old fellow was a new employee (from the dealer operator - who'd never heard of him -"must be new" )
He went very quiet when I handed him the serv. receipt which listed that 6 Qts of oil had been put in my 4.3Lt engine.

His email explanation for the proper way to check the oil showed so much imagination and flare - that I've voted him through to the final round of "Mechanic's Song & Dance" in Atlantic City.

Stig
It’s really not as stupid as it appears. He was probably following some form letter instructions from GM. I’ve gotten worse from the Ford HOTLINE. They usually read a script until at least the SECOND response. I don’t think they even pay attention the first read.

By the way, the Ford 2.7 BEGS to be overfilled. If you don’t wait 15 MINUTES it will likely read LOW. I brought one in for a pre delivery inspection. I checked the oil about 2 minutes after i shut it off. It wasn’t touching the dipstick! Sure enough 15 minutes later it read full. I found that it has some pinhole sized opening to a mini reservoir. I had to inform the oil change guys because they thought the dispenser was short changing them.

2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()