Author Topic: I love living and riding in the Southeast USA  (Read 3137 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
I love living and riding in the Southeast USA
« on: November 07, 2019, 07:35:30 PM »
I moved to Huntsville Alabama back in 2013.  I have not regretted it.  It's a great place to live but more important a fantastic place to be if you ride a motorcycle or scooter.  Before moving here I lived a lot of different places so I have experienced other places as well.  Lets see, here is where I have lived:

OH, CT, OH, LA, OH, FL, CA, FL, MI, MD, ME, Al, GA and finally back to AL.  I have ridden in all but 7 states. 

So why do I like it here in the SE?

I'll start with the great roads and scenery that we have here.  Sure there is more spectacular scenery in the west but you can't beat the quality and and sheer number of great roads we have here. 

Overall the weather is pretty good here too.  OK, SoCal might have better overall weather but I couldn't afford to live there if I wanted to.  I can ride year round here.  Winterizing a bike?  What's that.  Yes we occasionally get snow and it's a bit hot in the summer.  The nice thing is that If it's really hot here in Huntsville I can ride a couple hundred miles to get out of the heat in the mountains. 

Then there are the people here.  I have met so many great people to ride with. 

There are so many interesting ride destinations and that includes a lot of unique restaurants with great food.

The cost of living here is low so I have enough money left over to be able to afford to go riding.

Are there negatives?  Sure there are.  There are some bad drivers here but no worse than other parts of the country.  Traffic?  Huntsville had pretty light traffic until about two years ago.  This city is growing so fast it's hard to believe.  The traffic is getting worse as the city grows but still nowhere near as bad as some of the place I have lived like New Orleans, San Diego or Atlanta.

OK, enough words, here's some pics.

While people in some northern cities were dealing with cold and even snow I was out riding the last few days. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: I love living and riding in the Southeast USA
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 07:40:30 PM »
Last week I posted up a ride for Sunday.  We ended up with 11 riders, 8 on motorcycles and three on scooters.  We rode to this really interesting historic old place for lunch.  The food and service where great.

The riding was great as well.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 07:47:04 PM »
I went out riding again on Monday. 

We stopped in Lynchburg, the home of Jack Daniels.  This is a very popular destination for motorcycles.  On the weekends the town square is filled with bikes.    Since it was Monday we were the only ones there.

We had some good BBQ for lunch.

We rode some more great roads.

We stopped in Cowan to check out some interesting stuff.

Did I mention we have great roads?

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:53:28 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 07:59:08 PM »
Great post and pictures!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

wbdvt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 08:28:40 PM »
Thanks for the pics.  Awesome!
2012 Kymco Downtown 200i, 2016 Vespa Sprint 150, 2006 Vespa GTS 250

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 08:42:46 PM »
My parents recently moved down here from Ohio.  I took them out to my favorite sunset spot.  We weren't disappointed.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 09:39:18 AM »
Looks wonderful Al, thanks for sharing!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

dan v.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 12:25:03 PM »
Incredibly crappy wx here in Grand Rapids.  I actually thought about going South.  Never been to 'Bama.  I'll have to check it out.
05 Super 9, 06 Best & Win, and a fleet of other scoots.....
Grand Rapids, MI

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 02:23:51 PM »
Huntsville is a great place to live but it's not much of a tourist town since it only has one tourist attraction.  I rode there with a friend a few days ago and we took some pics.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 10:03:05 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 03:22:14 PM »
Incredibly crappy wx here in Grand Rapids.  I actually thought about going South.  Never been to 'Bama.  I'll have to check it out.

Go to Alabama and find out what REAL barbeque tastes like! MI and WA get their bbq out of a #10 (1 gallon) can!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 06:00:25 PM »

Purely from a riding perspective there are better places to live than Alabama.  IMO, North Carolina probably has the best riding in the country but Jobs and Taxes can be an issue.  North GA and Tennessee are also great places to ride and live.  Work brought me to Alabama.  My wife absolutely loves it here and would shoot me if I tried to move.  We probably made more friends here in our first year here than we did in eleven years in the Atlanta area.  The riding here is good but not the best in the SE.  The thing is that the best riding is not that far away!

For example, back in September I took my Scooter to Tellico Plains, TN for 4 days of riding some really great roads.  It was miserably hot at the time here in Alabama but very comfortable in the TN mountains.

Some Pics:

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

dan v.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 02:02:03 PM »
C'mon Crossbolt - we gots some great Q here in Grand Rapids  :).  What were you thinking?

Klaviator - Was talking about this with my wife and some friends the other day (moving south).  Wife loves the heat- it makes me miserable, particularly the humidity.  Besides, she plans on working for a while yet.....

The heart issues are always in the back of my mind, so would want to stay close to good medical facilities, but don't want to be in a big city.   

We just have to plan to look around.  Have had Marysville in my mind as a place to look....
05 Super 9, 06 Best & Win, and a fleet of other scoots.....
Grand Rapids, MI

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 03:06:50 PM »
C'mon Crossbolt - we gots some great Q here in Grand Rapids  :).  What were you thinking?

Klaviator - Was talking about this with my wife and some friends the other day (moving south).  Wife loves the heat- it makes me miserable, particularly the humidity.  Besides, she plans on working for a while yet.....

The heart issues are always in the back of my mind, so would want to stay close to good medical facilities, but don't want to be in a big city.   

We just have to plan to look around.  Have had Marysville in my mind as a place to look....

If I wasn't living here I would certainly consider Maryville, Knoxville or Chattanooga.  Tennessee has low taxes, I think that houses in those areas are still reasonable although I haven't checked.  The great thing about those cities is that if it's hot and humid it's real easy to ride to the mountains and get out of it.  Around here we have some small mountains and you can feel the difference in temperature when riding them but it's much better in East TN and NC.

I used to hate heat and humidity but I have somewhat acclimated to it.  It's not as bad here as it is a little further south. 

I'm getting ready to go for a ride now.  It was 27 with frost on the yard this morning.  It's high 30s now with a forecast high of 57 with wall to wall sunshine.  It's forecast to drop down to 18 on Tuesday.  We can also have 70 degrees in February.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 03:10:58 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 04:05:24 PM »
When I first fetched to in 1977 Birmingham, the FBO at Shelby Co. Airport told me to check the windsock and if I didn't like what I saw, wait 5 minutes and it would change. Or just land anyway! Older I get, the less hot the summers are here....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 07:43:30 AM »
I live in Chattanooga (Wife had friends here and now owns a business) and to be quite frank, it sucks!!  46th in  US in quality of medical care, way overpriced Dentists, just plain expensive, hot......and any place that can screw up McDonald's pancakes sucks!!--.---Sick here....they like to give you pills you probably do not need.   Try to get a decent tap beer here?

Riding can be ok, a bit dangerous because of the horrible drivers and their manners!!----But once you have seen all the places/stuff are they worth returning to?  For 2 wheel riders---Trailer Bikers can make it very dangerous on weekends in the mountains.

Decent Kymco dealer in Dalton, GA

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()