Author Topic: I love living and riding in the Southeast USA  (Read 3130 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: I love living and riding in the Southeast USA
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 01:16:24 PM »
I live in Chattanooga (Wife had friends here and now owns a business) and to be quite frank, it sucks!!  46th in  US in quality of medical care, way overpriced Dentists, just plain expensive, hot......and any place that can screw up McDonald's pancakes sucks!!--.---Sick here....they like to give you pills you probably do not need.   Try to get a decent tap beer here?

Riding can be ok, a bit dangerous because of the horrible drivers and their manners!!----But once you have seen all the places/stuff are they worth returning to?  For 2 wheel riders---Trailer Bikers can make it very dangerous on weekends in the mountains.

Decent Kymco dealer in Dalton, GA

My experience has been completely different than yours.  OK, there are some horrible drivers here but having lived all over the country that is not unique to the south.  Maybe Huntsville is different from Chattanooga but if haven't heard any complaints about Chattanooga from the people who live there on other forums.

As far as returning to places I have already seen, I love to ride and I can ride a great road hundreds of times and not get tired of it.  On top of that there are so many roads around here that after riding this area since 1990 I still keep finding roads I haven't ridden before.  Even if I ride another 25 years I know I will never ride them all.....but I am going to try!

On top of that, for me riding is not just the roads, it's also the people.  Riding is a great way to meet other interesting people.  I go on rides with other people as well as meeting random people at the places I stop.

For example I set up a ride for yesterday.  4 other people showed up.  I knew 2 of the people and 2 I hadn't.

we rode some fun roads.  I just discovered some of the roads we did a few weeks earlier.  We passed a number of roads I have yet to ride down.

I just rode many of these roads last week but I enjoyed riding them again.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 01:18:47 PM »
On this ride we saw plenty of cattle but not a single traffic light and not much traffic.

The leaves were well past peak but there was a little color left.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 01:31:31 PM »
One of the great thing about the south is all the restaurants that not only only have great food but also make great ride destinations.  For this ride I picked the Old Delina Country Stor.

I took the above pic as we were leaving but when we got there around a dozen bikes were parked there.  We had a great lunch both because of the food as well as the company.  There was a husband and wife who had ridden the Trans America trail this summer.  The wife had all of 9 months riding experience when she did it.  It was fascinating hearing about that ride.  Before they went on this ride I had recommended bringing a spare clutch cable and guess what....yep, they had a clutch cable fail.  Since they followed my advice it wasn't an issue.  I ended up getting a free lunch because of that!

Back to the restaurant, this building was built in the late 1800's.  It was used for other things before finally becoming a restaurant.  The owner came over and talked with us for a while.  He's the one hidden by the menu.

Someone on ADV had posted that he would also be there with some friends.  So I walked back to a table with around a dozen "bikers" and asked if anyone there was on ADV.  One of them was and he was the one who had posted.  So I got to put a face to a name on the internet.  It turns out that the "bikers" were a couple of CMA groups, one from Tennessee and one from Alabama.  They knew each other and happened to end up at the same place to eat lunch at the same time.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 04:11:00 AM »
A few more pics from my last ride.  I ended up still out on the road as the sun was setting.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2019, 07:55:37 PM »
It's the 1st of December, 57 degrees and sunny.  I have heard that up North there are some people who do this strange thing called "winterizing" their bikes.  I went for a ride!

It was a great way to burn off some of that turkey I ate way too much of the last few days!
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 12:32:04 PM »
Pfft! Yeah, WINTERIZING! What is that? Check oil, gas, squeeze the tires, light the fire, GO RIDE! That is winterizing in the south! Great pictures!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2019, 10:40:05 PM »
At 1800 - 2000 feet. the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee is somewhat cooler than surrounding areas with acceptable winter weather.  Excellent riding areas on and near the plateau.
Like 150i ABS

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2019, 03:41:30 AM »
At 1800 - 2000 feet. the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee is somewhat cooler than surrounding areas with acceptable winter weather.  Excellent riding areas on and near the plateau.

I need to go up and do some riding there!
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 04:07:42 AM »
Went for a ride this evening to catch the sunset and take some pics.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2019, 12:17:46 PM »
Some beautiful photographs in this thread.  Thanks to ALL the contributors.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2019, 04:52:57 PM »
It is December and we still have nice weather for riding.  I got out last Saturday and went riding with 8 others.  It was all motorcycles on this ride, no scooters.  I have done far more riding on my scooters than my motorcycles this year but I still like my motorcycle.  I'm down to just one motorcycle after selling my KLR650 this summer.

It was sunny on Saturday and got to around 60 degrees.  Perfect for riding.

I took this shot over my shoulder.

Group shot.

One of the guys shot some video:

Sunset at the end of the ride.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2019, 08:56:22 PM »
"It was sunny on Saturday and got to around 60 degrees.  Perfect for riding."

It has been a great autumn.   I just got a Reflex going (Oct/Nov), and purchased a DT300i  over Thanksgiving.  I thought it would be spring before I got in any serious rides, but (here in North Ga... much like N. AL) I have been riding every weekend.... 

2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2019, 11:33:01 AM »
It was 41 here yesterday K, but sunny for the first time in 10 days so I took it as a sign and got the XT300 out for a quick spin.  However, no heated grips or gloves and me foolishly still using my summer weight Dainese gloves meant I returned home with blue fingers!  Notwithstanding that it was great to get out on 2 wheels again after the enforced break.  If we only had the sort of weather you get, I'd be out most days.  Roll on Spring.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2019, 02:24:38 PM »
We normally have nice riding days all through the winter, not every day but enough to at least get out for a short ride most days and a longer ride every so often.  It looks like rain all day today followed by a couple of sunny but cool days.  I'll at least ride to the grocery store or some other short ride those days.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2019, 09:57:21 AM »
Yep, it's sunny (and cold) here today so I think I'll get out for a spin later.  It's the Law!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()