Author Topic: Big wheel scooters are better!  (Read 3028 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Big wheel scooters are better!
« on: November 10, 2019, 11:01:22 PM »
I swap back and forth between a 16" wheel Piaggio Liberty 150i and a 12" wheel LIKE200i - and the difference is quite noticeable.
In the 150 class of step through scooters, the 12" wheels just can't compare with a big wheel scooter!
The ride over city streets is better, and once out on a country road big wheels are even more impressive!

Big wheels equal smoother ride in town and much more stability on the open road.
When I'm 'cruising' a country road - I look down and see that I am traveling about 5mph faster on the Liberty, than on the LIKE....and it has nothing to do with engine size or suspension.
Anyway - if you're in the market for a 150cc class scooter, I urge you to give a big wheel scooter a try before you settle on a 12" wheel!
I've no statistics - but I think the Europeans choose to ride mostly big wheel scooters.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Big wheel scooters are better!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 12:00:02 AM »
Did you know the tire od of the People GTi300 and the Downtown 300i are nearly the same?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
I`m with you
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 02:08:09 AM »
I love Vespa s but, the only thing that keeps me from buying one is their small wheels.
I feel like I have a much more stable and safe ride with the larger wheels.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 04:55:09 AM »
I fully agree. Scaling down from a motorcycle with bigger wheels to a scooter with smaller wheels can be quite dangerous. The steering on scooters with smaller wheels is more “direct” - and an experienced motorcycle rider can easily misjudge his / her riding skills on a scooter, specially riding around corners, or riding on gravel.

Some comments about my own experience :

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=28788.0

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 04:56:51 AM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 06:32:58 AM »
Big wheels and smaller wheels both have their advantages.  I have owned scooter with 12" wheels up to 15 inches.  Ride quality depends on both wheels size and the suspension.  Small wheels feel more nimble and allow for a bigger storage compartment under the seat.  I have never had any stability issues with any of my scooter except maybe that My Majesty (14" front/13"rear) starts feeling a little funny when the speedo needle gets into triple digits.  That only happens going downhill or with a tailwind so it's not really an issue. 

In the future I won't rule out getting another scooter with 12" wheels.  Right now I'm happy with my Like 150i and it's 12" wheels.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 04:38:30 PM »
For urban riding, small wheels are best.  As klav mentioned, they are more nimble and maneuverable.
But at speeds over 50mph, they get squirrelly. 

Living in a suburban/urban setting, if I could only have one scoot it'd be 16" wheels.
Since I'm not limited to one, the Cali Classic and Rebel 250 combo is working great.

2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 07:33:16 PM »
I fully agree with Stig.
Even years back when my wife was fresh to riding I took her out looking for a bike.
She tried just about everything under the sun at the time.  Big wheels, small wheels, maxi's even a couple 50cc two strokes.  Eventually, while mourning the loss of her her Audrey Hepburn imagery she'd originally planned, she picked out the SYM HD200 citing the very notable difference in ride vs. even the Vespa GT300 that she tried.
Of course, having to pay for an HD vs. a Vespa 300 didn't hurt either, but that's another thread entirely.

Now...if we can just convince Kymco or Honda that we'd buy their big wheel bikes so they bring 'em here...
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 07:52:09 PM »
I fully agree with Stig.
Even years back when my wife was fresh to riding I took her out looking for a bike.
She tried just about everything under the sun at the time.  Big wheels, small wheels, maxi's even a couple 50cc two strokes.  Eventually, while mourning the loss of her her Audrey Hepburn imagery she'd originally planned, she picked out the SYM HD200 citing the very notable difference in ride vs. even the Vespa GT300 that she tried.
Of course, having to pay for an HD vs. a Vespa 300 didn't hurt either, but that's another thread entirely.

Now...if we can just convince Kymco or Honda that we'd buy their big wheel bikes so they bring 'em here...
Amen. I had very little to choose from when I went looking for a new big wheel step-through scooter here in the USA!

I would certainly have given Kymco and a Honda a good look....but nothing.
(and as for big wheels being unwieldy in the city - #1 filtering is not permitted in most States, #2 I don't think many of us kids had trouble riding our full size bikes in town)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 02:07:30 AM »
Probably would have come home with one of these, if they were sold here.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 06:44:52 AM »
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=https://www.honda.it/motorcycles/range/scooter/sh150i/overview.html&prev=search
Or the more recent version.
157cc, 16hp/10.5 ft lb's torque, & a claimed 98 mpg.  Roughly matches my HD for power, & if the MPG's even close to that definitely gains something there.
Looks like underseat fueling would be my only gripe.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 01:24:32 PM »
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=https://www.honda.it/motorcycles/range/scooter/sh150i/overview.html&prev=search
Or the more recent version.
157cc, 16hp/10.5 ft lb's torque, & a claimed 98 mpg.  Roughly matches my HD for power, & if the MPG's even close to that definitely gains something there.
Looks like underseat fueling would be my only gripe.
Very nice!
If it'd been available in USA I'd a bought one!
(my $ was from the sale of a nice Burgman 400 - so finances weren't the issue)
We only had the little PCX (impossible to service!) and a couple 50's to choose from.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 02:24:30 PM »
For urban riding, small wheels are best.  As klav mentioned, they are more nimble and maneuverable.
But at speeds over 50mph, they get squirrelly. 

My Like 150i is perfectly stable at 60 MPH.  The big frame Vespa's run down the road just fine a 80 MPH on 12" wheels. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 02:30:32 PM »
The UK is infested with Honda Vision 110s with thier 14" wheels - great bikes.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 07:24:41 PM »
I had a Honda SH-150 in Italy and it was probably the best scooter that I drove out there. No mechanical problems, decent speed and great looks. I had a dark red one with gunmetal rims, it looked very nice. I wish Honda would offer the SH-300 here. or that Kymco would offer the new People 300. I would buy another one. I also love my 400i... :) I guess the only way that we will see these models over here is when Gas reaches over 4-5 dollars a gallon.

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 07:46:37 PM »
I traded my 650cc motorcycle for a Like 150i and am somewhat amazed at the stability of the Like at all speeds.
Like 150i ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()