Author Topic: P150 Favorite Motor Oil  (Read 11901 times)

Fanny LaFaye

• View Profile
P150 Favorite Motor Oil
« on: September 19, 2010, 06:22:07 PM »
Hi, everyone! I'm new to the forum, but not new to the People. I've happily spanked over 20k km on my 2007, but recently moved away from the big city and my favorite mechanic. Now I'm on an island.. literally.. I'm going to have to do most of the basic work on the bike myself.

Its just about time for the next oil change and I was wondering what everyone's favorite oil for the People 150 was, whether synthetic is better and why. Looking forward to being a bigger part of my bike's next 20k, would really appreciate some tips from the pros out there! (Especially tips from people who have had to maintain scooters in saltwater air!)

Salud!
FLF

Monoplex

• View Profile
Re: P150 Favorite Motor Oil
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 03:26:13 PM »
A synthetic oil, to my understanding, won't break down as quickly as a conventional motor oil. Additionally, while I could be wrong on this, it can also handle high temperatures better than a similarly rated conventional.

lankeeyankee

• I have an attitude problem with stupidity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:15:34 AM »
Ohh boy! Here we go! Another post on oil.

pedro

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 01:24:38 AM »
Ohh boy! Here we go! Another post on oil.

If you don't like it, then don't read it, don't post about it.  Just leave.  We won't miss your smarta$$ comments.

shubonker

• View Profile
    • a motorcycle blog
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 03:27:25 AM »
I use Torco T4 Petroleum Oil and it works just fine.  It's the cheapest four stroke i can find and I honestly feel it doesn't make that much of a difference vs semi-syn or full syn oils.  But some people will swear by a certain brand or by synthetic.  And just because you use synthetic, doesn't mean you should neglect to change the oil at each specified interval. 

lankeeyankee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:30:53 AM »
If you don't like it, then don't read it, don't post about it.  Just leave.  We won't miss your smarta$$ comments.

Take your own advice, I figured I would be like others here and just add my 2 cents. Ohh I am sorry are you crossing the border into be an administrator for the site now?

Yeah I may be a smart ass, but at least I am not a jackass nor a dumb-ass such as yourself.

pedro

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 12:22:28 PM »
Take your own advice, I figured I would be like others here and just add my 2 cents. Ohh I am sorry are you crossing the border into be an administrator for the site now?

Yeah I may be a smart ass, but at least I am not a jackass nor a dumb-ass such as yourself.

I'm not going to get into an argument with you.  I'm done with you.  Goodbye.

Monoplex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 06:34:37 PM »
I'm about as far from being a mechanic as you can get, but I agree with the statement that you shouldn't leave the oil in longer with synthetic. My reasoning (which may not be correct) is that without a filter, contaminants in the oil are more likely to cause trouble.

lankeeyankee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 03:36:25 AM »
I'm about as far from being a mechanic as you can get, but I agree with the statement that you shouldn't leave the oil in longer with synthetic. My reasoning (which may not be correct) is that without a filter, contaminants in the oil are more likely to cause trouble.

I would agree with this statement to an extend
a) depending on how often to change your oil, 500, 1K, 1.5K, etc.
b) On the conditions you ride in, rainy weather, gravel roads, high construction areas, dust, etc.
c) how hard you ride, drive like a wimp never see over 25mph or do you run wide open all the time?
d) weight, hills, temperature

All these factors play into how often you should change oil.

Synthetics do have a higher tolerence to break down over conventional non synthetic oils.

Oops also with fuels that have ethanol added to them I believe this tends to wash past the rings and contaminate oil a little more then fuels that dont have ethanol.

So, really there is no correct answer on how often you should change your oil.

Go by smell, and color of the oil and your budget!

Changing oil is like taking a shower, you can never do it to often but there comes a time that you can be OCD

Monoplex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »
Environmentally, I would say there is a point that you're changing your oil too often. Cars are able to go 5,000 miles between changes; KYMCO recommends 1,200 unless there's a lot of short trips or operation in cold weather. Unfortunately, there's no guidelines as to maintenance in these "severe conditions."

I have to say that this is the shortest recommended oil change interval I've ever come across. The oil isn't used for the transmission, the engine (AFAIK) is fairly low revving, so I have to wonder if this is due to the lack of an oil filter.

IIRC, synthetic oil is also better at suspending contaminants than conventional.

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 02:42:37 PM »
I would agree with this statement to an extend
a) depending on how often to change your oil, 500, 1K, 1.5K, etc.
b) On the conditions you ride in, rainy weather, gravel roads, high construction areas, dust, etc.
c) how hard you ride, drive like a wimp never see over 25mph or do you run wide open all the time?
d) weight, hills, temperature

All these factors play into how often you should change oil.

Synthetics do have a higher tolerence to break down over conventional non synthetic oils.

Oops also with fuels that have ethanol added to them I believe this tends to wash past the rings and contaminate oil a little more then fuels that dont have ethanol.

So, really there is no correct answer on how often you should change your oil.

Go by smell, and color of the oil and your budget!

Changing oil is like taking a shower, you can never do it to often but there comes a time that you can be OCD

Riding in rainy weather, gravel roads and dust affect your air filter, not the oil in your engine.
 Found two different users manuals For my Agility City 125 ( I think it's basically the same engine as in People 150) with two different oil change intervals - 2000km & 3000km (1200mi & 1800mi).
I do most of the servicing myself, so I opted for the longer change interval. I use Motul 5100 15w50 semi-sythetic oil. Full synthetic oil is better, but with these frequent change intervals and low revving engines it's a waste of money.
So far no problems in 10000km.

Change your oil at the specified intervals, and check the llevel once in a while.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:19:59 PM by jeeves »
Agility City 125

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 02:57:38 PM »
What evidence do you have to say that synthetic oils suspend contaminents more than conventional oil ? Convenional oil creates more contaminents due to the lower oxidation tempreture , and they tend to settle and create sludgeing , is that what you are refering to ?

Monoplex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 08:30:10 PM »
What evidence do you have to say that synthetic oils suspend contaminents more than conventional oil?

None. I recalled having read it. However, that was long enough ago that I couldn't tell you where I heard it from or even if I'm recalling it correctly.

With the confidence that comes from ignorance, it would seem to make sense that purpose-built molecules could do a better job. But again, this is the viewpoint that comes to me unburdened by any actual chemical engineering knowledge.  :)

lankeeyankee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 10:25:48 PM »
Riding in rainy weather, gravel roads and dust affect your air filter, not the oil in your engine.

Your air filter does not filter the air 100% Unless you are using a breathing respirator as an air filter.
Yes driving on dusty, dirt roads is considered harsh conditions to motor oil and should be taken in account when changing your oil.

Google it,  dusty dirt oil change, many articles to educate you on it.

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 03:03:46 PM »
Do you really think the particles that do pass by the air filter can contaminate your oil that much in 1200-1800 miles that it could cause severe damage to the engine???

Change you air filter  and oil as stated in the service manual, and you won't have any problems. If you do wanna change your oil at 600mi or less because you rode a few times in the rain or rode on some dusty roads-go ahead, it your time and money.
Agility City 125

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()