Author Topic: Beware of Chapparal Motorsports!  (Read 2198 times)

stuo

• View Profile
Beware of Chapparal Motorsports!
« on: November 21, 2019, 01:17:56 AM »
I recently bought a "new" Dunlop 13" tire for my DT 300i on ebay  from Chapparal for a very low price ($40).

The mechanic who mounted it told me why it was so cheap: it was manufactured 3.5 years ago! I didn't think to check the date stamp on the tire before going through the hassle and expense of mounting it. Sure, I can return it but now that it's on the bike that isn't practical. According to the "experts" tires should be replaced after five years due to rubber deterioration regardless of the tread wear, especially here in smoggy CA.

Chapparal should have disclosed the age of the tire in the ad; I never would have bought it had I known. Upon a google review search of Chapparal I found most of the employee reviews gave it a one star rating for the low pay, no benefits, no promotional opportunities and lousy attitude from management. I add unethical advertising to the list. Oh, yeah, one more gripe: their email contact link doesn't work, it keeps giving "error" messages. Caveat emptor!

2009 GV 250

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Beware of Chapparal Motorsports!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 03:44:35 AM »
Getting an old tire is one of the hazards of buying a tire online.  I buy my tires from a local dealer who's prices are typically as good as internet prices.

As far as tires deteriorating.  A tire stored in a warehouse will probably deteriorate less than one that's been on a bike and exposed to sunlight and the elements.  That tire should be OK for at least another 2-3 years.  If you can't wear it out in that time you aren't riding enough.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 10:38:55 AM »
What’s the old expression?: “If it (price) seems too good to be true, then it probably is!”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 03:20:29 AM »
I usually find tires cheaper online than from them but I have no problem ordering factory Kymco parts from them. Their service department however I have issues with on the last tire I had mounted there, won't do that again.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

KymcoRockr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 07:49:39 PM »
So what horrors do you imagine will befall you due to this "new" tire being on your scooter?

This truly is a silly thread and it's poorly moderated nonsense like this that keeps people away from forums.

Been riding for a very long time.
AK550
Yager 200

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 01:58:55 AM »
Interesting response, KR.

When an online company misrepresents a tire as "new",  has an email link that doesn't work, and then gives me the run around on the phone I think I have a duty to let the forum members know about it.

I want to know about companies that don't deal with us honestly and ethically, and I value a member's report on that issue. Isn't that an important function of a forum?

2009 GV 250

MJR

• View Profile
'14 White MyRoad 700i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 11:57:50 AM »
https://www.michelin.in/auto/michelin-tyres-are-not-bananas

http://www.powerwheelsmagazine.com/2017/01/19/tire-age-does-not-matter-tyre-maintenance-does/

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/about/faq/#faq-2

That last quote said "NO!" to using a car tire on the rear! Am I going to explode, catch fire, crash and burn? Should I be very afraid?
There are no verifications for these tests. However, such verifications could be easily created just like the USTMA in its strongly recommending a tire be replaced after puncture.
Thanks for the links, MJ. There may be a good point about old tire dates except when it comes to Maxxis. New old stock wear VERY quickly!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 02:37:32 PM »
Isn't that an important function of a forum?

IMO, yes!

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

dan v.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 04:27:49 PM »
IDK.  I have gotten several sets of tires from them.  Fresh dates, too.   So I have been good with Chapparal. 

Sorry you have had a bad experience.  Is that style of Dunlop still being made?  I have looked for tires on line to match what I have had - and they are no longer current.   Some places may still have some stock on the shelves.

I think Klaviator is right - they should be fine.  Go wear them out!
05 Super 9, 06 Best & Win, and a fleet of other scoots.....
Grand Rapids, MI

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 06:03:53 PM »
https://www.michelin.in/auto/michelin-tyres-are-not-bananas

http://www.powerwheelsmagazine.com/2017/01/19/tire-age-does-not-matter-tyre-maintenance-does/

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/about/faq/#faq-2
Great information here...!
Thanks for posting MJR - hope everyone reads each of these.

My guess would be that there are more people riding and driving on underinflated tires - than dangerously aged tires.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 07:15:35 PM »
I've never cared about the age of a tire and simply do as all owners should, check over your tires time to time, be aware. I won't get into darksiding. I have done things that aren't recommended like plugging sidewalls on my 33" Jeep tires with 4 or 5 plugs and continued to use it until the tread was gone. I'm not recommending people ignore advise but temper it based on their experience and own comfort level.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 05:31:21 PM by MJR »
'14 White MyRoad 700i

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 06:09:12 AM »
When you consider cost per 1000 miles plus your safety, it doesn't make sense to mess around
with questionable tires.   $200 for a good set of tires mounted that get 10k miles cost $20/1000 miles.
Is it worth riding 1000 miles on iffy tires to save $20?
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 09:42:18 AM »
After riding for over 60 years, I've concluded that 20 year old tires are made a lot better than 60 year old tires.  I have no problem riding on 20 year old tires.  I'm thinking the tire date thing is just another marketing gimmick.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 08:39:13 AM »
After riding for over 60 years, I've concluded that 20 year old tires are made a lot better than 60 year old tires.  I have no problem riding on 20 year old tires.  I'm thinking the tire date thing is just another marketing gimmick.
To an extent JJ, but old rubber can tend to harden and crack, my rule of thumb with bike & scooter tyres is “if in doubt, sling ‘em out”! 

I’ll tolerate more on a car’s rubber, but then maybe that’s just risk compensation factor at play?

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()