Author Topic: Why is it hard to find parts for KYMCO bikes?  (Read 2241 times)

General Zod

• View Profile
Why is it hard to find parts for KYMCO bikes?
« on: November 22, 2019, 03:59:05 AM »
Since my bike is scratched up, called my local dealer (only dealer) and he said he gets the parts from south Carolina and its not even a guarantee that they have it in stock

Its frustrating, had I'd known it would be this hard to find parts, woulda bought me a Suzuki instead

mousejunks

• View Profile
Re: Why is it hard to find parts for KYMCO bikes?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 04:40:29 AM »
I'm in Australia and I get all specific parts from Racing Planet or bike parts Kymco UK. All filters etc from Taiwan Big Scooter Shop.  Dealers here don't care, take too long or are too expensive.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 05:37:19 AM »
On a positive note - parts are dirt cheap in other parts of the world.
 I am from South Africa and I recently got quite surprized when I started comparing scooter prices. Brands like Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, etc. are a lot more expensive. Having owned a Honda motorcycle just before I bought the scooter, I know for a fact that Honda parts are VERY expensive.
I already started ordering certain parts for my scooter from other countries in advance. Kymco parts are available at Yamaha branches locally, but the parts are quite expensive. For example, the price of a CDI for my scooter at the official supplier is more than three times MORE than the price of a similar CDI at another local dealer.

I think it’s all in the mind. It would obviously be nice to have parts available nearby - but with a bit of planning and ordering certain parts in advance the availability of parts shouln’t be a big problem.

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 12:15:59 PM »
Please take a look at the online parts suppliers for Kymco in the General stickies, top of page.
Can you find your parts there?
Best to explore servicing difficulties, and parts availability before purchasing. Get the whole picture....then buy. In States, Honda PCX body panels are ridiculously cheap😊but valve adjustments are ridiculously hard☺
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 12:33:07 PM »
As daily/high mileage rider for 64 years, I use local dealer----my case 2019 XTown 300i----so this is current model and at 9,000 miles have had no parts problem.    Now for older, small volume machine there may be some waiting---some of this is due to dead scooter market in US.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 02:56:46 PM »
for the handful of parts I've needed for my scooter most have come from my local dealer. They always come in within the week and I've never had any issues.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 04:44:25 PM »
Correct, All US Kymco dealers get the parts from the Kymco USA which is located in SC. When ordering parts, ask the dealer to call Kymco USA and check for availability. Dealer can look up current pricing on his Kymco Dealer Parts System. When ordering parts, I suggest you give the dealer your VIN so that there is no mistake on the correct parts or color for your bike.
Trust me, every manufacturer has back order issues. Usually Kymco USA parts fill rate is quite good but due to internal changes the parts warehouse has run low on certain, not all, items. They are receiving multiple containers of parts as we speak
CJS

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 12:51:56 PM »
I  haven't had any problem getting parts for my UXV450i
RandyO
IBA#9560

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 03:04:40 PM »
Some stranger in my neighborhood (SoCal) has an identical Like 200i in an apartment complex. In the handful of times I've ridden past the scooter, it hasn't moved. I'm contemplating a very low offer just to have spares on hand.

While I have not had to order parts from my dealer, I have ordered accessories. The operative word with accessories is "patience." Still waiting for crash bars ordered in August 2019.

2018 Kymco Like 200i (matte black)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 03:17:32 PM »
Some stranger in my neighborhood (SoCal) has an identical Like 200i in an apartment complex. In the handful of times I've ridden past the scooter, it hasn't moved. I'm contemplating a very low offer just to have spares on hand.

While I have not had to order parts from my dealer, I have ordered accessories. The operative word with accessories is "patience." Still waiting for crash bars ordered in August 2019.

I bought some spares shortly after purchasing my Like200i. So far, haven't needed any of them.
But then, it's only been 7 1/2 years.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()