Author Topic: MXU500i instrument panel problem  (Read 3109 times)

Cituning

• View Profile
MXU500i instrument panel problem
« on: November 27, 2019, 08:52:07 AM »
Hello and greetings from Finland.
I have a 2011 MXU500 i IRS and problem with it's instrument cluster/panel/speedometer/warning lights.

When I turn ignition on (or start the motor) LCD panel is fully lit all the time, every segment is "active", red charging light and red temperature light stays on. Blinker, high beam ja LCD backlight works just fine and so does everything else, it starts and goes like normal.
And when I turn the ignition off (or shut down the motor) LCD stays on and so does charging/temperature lights and gear indicator light. After few seconds, main power relay near battery says 'click', and all gear indicator lights turns on (apart P).
Only way to shut down the instrument cluster, is to remove battery lead or connector behind the cluster.

It doesn't matter if I disconnect ECU, voltage regulator, stator, gear selector, ignition lock etc.....

I've tried to "reset" the instrument by removing earth cable when ignition on and shortcutting earth and positive lead.

Inspection of the wire harness is still on middle way but nothing wrong found so far.
Is the problem on instrument cluster? ECU? Wiring harness? Wrong tyre pressure? Moon position? :D

Thank you in advance and sorry for my english.

Bratman2

• View Profile
Re: MXU500i instrument panel problem
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 03:28:41 AM »
I'll go out on a limb and say instrument panel. I know that some Moto Guzzi motorcycles with electronic dash fail and do weird crap before they fail. Usually moisture has gotten inside. That is just a guess. Sounds aggravating!
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2004 Mongoose 90 (grandson's)
2010 Grizzly 450

Cituning

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 05:27:16 PM »
Further investigations also makes sense that instrument panel does all that weirdness.
Year ago it had some moisture on pcb, got it cleaned and worked so far.
Wiggling the connector does something, mostly panel go on and off. Re-soldered connector pins and lcd panel because quick investigation showed some cracked solderings. Sadly, no help.
Too bad new panel costs around 350 euros...   :(

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 12:37:59 PM »
Sorry to hear that!
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2004 Mongoose 90 (grandson's)
2010 Grizzly 450

Cituning

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 12:47:51 PM »
This problem has been diagnosed to instrument panel and oscillator of cpu. Since there is no markings about frequency value, it's kind of "no can do".
Managed to get alive by connecting a switch to permanent 12V and ground and switch ON and OFF several times.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()