Author Topic: UXV 700i starter issues  (Read 3916 times)

RET

• View Profile
UXV 700i starter issues
« on: December 03, 2019, 05:59:04 AM »
New to forum and never posted anything ever, but read these things all the time. My Kymco is making funky sounds from the starter. Pulled the starter and took it apart and everything was good. It was odd to see no bendix that would throw the starter into the fly wheel. I’m tempted to take the cover off to see how this works, but thought I’d ask here. Surely the starter can’t be engaged with the flywheel while the engine is running. If someone can shed some light on this otherwise I’m going to tear into it. Thanks in advance.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: UXV 700i starter issues
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 03:09:24 PM »
One-way sprag or roller clutch on the other end of that chain on the starter. No way for engine to over-drive the starter.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

RET

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 08:40:14 PM »
Awesome. Thanks Karl. I’m going to pull that case cover and see if the clutch or chain is the cause of the odd noise. Very much appreciated!!

RET

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 04:06:35 AM »
I’ve got a buddy who’s a retired mechanic who’s going to give me a hand replacing this one way spray or roller clutch.   I was hoping to find a description or video show “how to” but I can’t find anything for a Kymco UXV 700i. I’ve found some info for other makes and models, like Honda, but nothing for Kymco. Anyone know or have a link for replacing that spragbor one way bearing for a kymco UXV 700i. Mine is a 2015 but will take any year I can get.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 05:13:17 AM »
No info but looking at the parts catalog the procedure is the same as getting at the stator as the sprag roller clutch is mounted to the flywheel you have to remove.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

RET

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 06:17:01 AM »
Good tip MJR, thanks. I’ve looked at several videos for other motors but can’t find anything for Kymco. Is there another motor make that is similar to Kymco. There has been lots of variation between different manufacturers in getting at the stator. Thanks for everyone’s help, very much appreciated.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 06:31:30 AM »
Usually I can find service manuals online for most vehicles but didn't have luck on yours. I'm not sure if there is any other manufacturers that might have something similar as I think Kymco only makes smaller ones (under 400cc) for say Kawasaki. I'm also not sure how similar your UTV engine is to my Kymco MyRoad 700i maxi scooter engine. One special tool you will possibly need is a flywheel puller.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

RET

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 03:17:31 PM »
Thanks MJR. I really appreciate you checking. I couldn’t find a manual online either but I found one for purchase just not sure if it’s any good.  Usually these forums are better than any manual you can find.   I know sometimes there’s a special tool for pulling a flywheel and others just use a wheel pull. I guess I’ll find out when I get there tomorrow. Also, where or who do you guys use to order parts for these machines. Thanks one and all!

RET

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 09:51:35 PM »
Cover is loose but won’t pop off. It looks like the impeller for the water pump needs to come off but it looks like it’s pressed on. Any advice?

RET

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 10:04:08 PM »
You guys are probably going to be sorry I joined this forum. Got her. A bolt in the center of the flywheel under a cover. Cover comes off with a hex but. Cover pops right off with impeller.

RET

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 10:47:50 PM »
MJR you are right, I need that special flywheel puller. I’ve seen the type of tool for other motors, just not sure what the specific flywheel tool or part number would be. Did a search on this forum but didn’t find anything. Thanks

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 12:44:48 AM »
Special tools are often shown/listed in maintenance manual from Cyclepedia.com.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

RET

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 03:53:35 PM »
Thanks Stig, purchased the Cyclepedia.com, which is a real good online service manual, highly recommended for othe Newbies to Kymco. I live in Wyoming so any dealer is at least 2 hours away. Might fabricate the tool if I can’t get one delivered soon along with the starter clutch. Thanks again for your help

RET

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 06:55:25 AM »
holly crap ordering parts for this machine is a joke.  Closest dealer, 3 hours away, said they parts are in-stock, but they have to deliver to the dealer, and then the dealer ships to me.....no drop shipping allowed.  2-3 weeks to get parts that "are in-stock"?!?!?  I've be looking online and can't find any parts provider.  I found an old thread on this forum, but that dealer is out of business.

Does anyone know where I can get parts, gaskets, one way clutch/bearing, without going through a dealer? 

Also, I ordered a service manual through cyclepedia.com and tried to order parts through them at this site. 
kyps.kymco.com/kyglobal/G314D.do?trackReset=true&mode=index

After getting my parts order done, the site asks for a vin number.  This site won't accept the vin number I pulled off the frame per owners manual.  This number matches the vin on the title, but this parts site doesn't like it. 

Anyone know another location for a vin number on a 2014 UXV 700i? 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 02:08:59 PM »
Metal tag, machine left, way down low on centerstand attach point is the customary location; owner's manual shows location; owner' manual free download for nearly everything Kymco makes is online.

Yes, this parts situation can suck a great deal...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()