Author Topic: Getting your knee down  (Read 865 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Getting your knee down
« on: December 07, 2019, 03:01:36 PM »
Read this on a Triumph forum I belong to. It’s a comment about the joys of getting your knee down on a sports bike; I could’ve written it myself! [emoji23]:

That's a shame it's such a great feeling, which is why I miss it. Even the sound it makes is cool (dunno how to type it out - get something hard and nylon and run it over some tarmac, like the back of a plastic broom  :001:). The annoying thing is I got to the stage where it honestly felt easy under the right conditions, and now I've no idea now how I ever managed it at all. It's like it was in a different lifetime! The last time I tried on my Street I had absolutely no idea how far away I was. Really weird. On the plus side, I don't fit in my leathers now so it's not really an option I have to worry about any more, lol. Lots of things like that in life now and I'm not even that old!! I'm waiting for the day I can't tie my shoe laces and have to buy slip-ons!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Getting your knee down
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 06:10:19 PM »
Probably great fun - but not many of us have access to a closed track, with safe run-offs.

Stig

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 05:10:26 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 03:32:00 PM »
Guess I was lucky Stig. Three or four circuits within an hour of here (including Donington Park) which run track days! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 03:46:57 PM »
I never managed to drag a knee although I did drag parts of most of my bikes in curves.  One time I was following an open class sportbike through Deal's Gap.  The rider was pushing pretty hard and it looked like he dragged his knee a few times.  I passed him......on an XT350!

I don't ride like that anymore.  I miss riding like that but it's probably a good thing that I have slowed down.

My 2000 XT350:

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 05:14:54 PM »
One time I was following an open class sportbike through Deal's Gap.  The rider was pushing pretty hard and it looked like he dragged his knee a few times. 

My 2000 XT350:

That puts me in mind of something that happened to me a couple of years after returning to biking back in the '80's.  I was following a mate of mine on his 851 Duke through some twisties on, I think, a GPz900R and admiring how far over he was leaning it.  I then thought to myself, hang on a minute, if I'm keeping up then I must be....

Happy days.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()