Author Topic: What would be a fair offer?  (Read 1398 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
What would be a fair offer?
« on: December 17, 2019, 09:03:07 AM »
A person has a 2008 Grandvista 250 for sale. This bike has not run in about a year and will need the carb cleaned, spark plug battery, and tires. It has some minor cosmetic issues but otherwise not bad.  The person claims around 5k miles but no way of knowing without a battery.  What would you think would be a fair offer?
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: What would be a fair offer?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 12:35:56 PM »
Title? Perfect time to low-ball it. You have tthe upper hand because he cannot even prove there are any parts insine the engine.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 02:31:44 AM »
He did have a valid title.  I offered $500 because it needed the carb cleaned. fluids changed battery  and tires. His reply was  ( he wasn't going to give it away, my loss).   I figured for a non-running scooter my offer was fair.   

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 09:38:50 PM »
$500 is very generous. I'd wait a month then offer $300. He isn't going to find a nut like me, or you, to buy it. I recently bought my third GV 250, a running bike with bald tires, 7700 miles, cosmetic issues, for $800.

Here in CA the back registration fees/penalties are horrendous if it's not kept current. People let them sit in the garage and neglect to pay the plate fee or non-op them to avoid penalties.
2009 GV 250

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 11:00:11 AM »
$500 is very generous. I'd wait a month then offer $300. He isn't going to find a nut like me, or you, to buy it. I recently bought my third GV 250, a running bike with bald tires, 7700 miles, cosmetic issues, for $800.

Here in CA the back registration fees/penalties are horrendous if it's not kept current. People let them sit in the garage and neglect to pay the plate fee or non-op them to avoid penalties.
He was able to sell it days after my offer for full price.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 07:30:08 PM »
The buyer probably did you a favor: Getting a carb engine to run after sitting a long time can be a major PITA. I rehabbed a Honda Elite with 187 miles on it that had sat for years. The entire fuel system had to be replaced and even after three carb overhauls it never ran right.

If you find another GV250, check that the mirrors retract properly and that the two skinny Allen screws that fasten them to the body are fairly tight but do NOT crank down on them or you will strip the threads in the pot metal bracket that holds the mirrors. If that happens you will need to carefully JB weld a nut to the back of the bracket. I love my GV250's but the mirror attachments are a weak point. And that stupid lumbar support that we all remove.
2009 GV 250

christianblessing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 07:28:47 AM »
He was able to sell it days after my offer for full price.
What was the full price?

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

Kymco X-Town 300
Kymco People 250
Kymco 200i
Vespa P125X
Yamaha N Max 155

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 12:04:49 AM »
What was the full price?

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk
I beleive it was $800. I was unwilling to offer anymore then $500. because it needed tires, battery, carb cleaned, fuel system flushed and some cosmetic issues.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:07:21 AM by Kansas kymco »

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 08:50:11 AM »
I think $500 was reasonable. A 2008 Kymco is worth naff all.

It wasn't worth $800 for sure.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 06:25:18 AM »

I'm in san diego and I learned about this.  Even for non-op if you sell the vehicle next owner must pay the regular amount that would have been paid if the owner did not do non-op or to avoid that you cannot register until the start of the next reg period then just regular amount.

I agree anything over $300 for that older scooter in non running shape is outrageous.  Also, my believe is that older carbs that sat for years are best replaced as my 2005 carb was cleaned about 15x over the years and changed pilot jet to a larger one and always had hesitation off the line.  $275 for a new carb!
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()