Author Topic: Coldest you've been out in?  (Read 1145 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Coldest you've been out in?
« on: December 19, 2019, 01:45:03 AM »
The coldest non-scootering day you've been out & about in?

Supposed to be 8°F at daybreak tomorrow.
(I did a 3°F commute to work once on my LIKE200i - which beat waiting for a bus)
Was thinking of the coldest day for me - in 1977 Dayton, OH reached -21°F.
After years with my Beetle - I'd sprung for a new base model white Rabbit (with painted bumpers, hounds tooth cloth, thin door panels & thinner carpet --- and bias-ply tires) - but with the fuel injection it fired right up after sitting out in that cold  all night.

Drive trains and brakes were identical in all the models - just differing details, like chrome, fabric & tires!
I was early to work at the hospital that morning, due to the light traffic, and only a few downed power lines and water main breaks !

Spent a good part of the day fetching nursing staff from their homes.
Great little car - great heater!

Stig
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 01:49:20 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Coldest you've been out in?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 02:31:52 AM »
The coldest I have ridden in is around 15 degrees F.  The coldest I have been out in was -40 degrees.  An interesting fact is that -40 C is the same as -40 F.  I was in Germany at the time and it was the coldest temperature of the century (1900s). 

I have also seen -30 in Minneapolis.  The wind chill was -60 to -90.  I landed at the Airport there and the left brake on my plane had frozen and we went skidding down the runway.  Somehow the tire didn't blow but we were stuck there for a few days waiting for a tire.  We spent those days inside walking around the Mall of America.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Billtrout

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 02:30:20 PM »
the coldest I've ridden in -10 not sure of the wind chill at 65 is but it was nippy.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 02:31:04 PM »
I took my SV650 for a short test spin once, when it was -25°f,  only a half mile up the road and back, it was only a short ride, no need to get all my gear on, right  :o  I was working in my nice warm heated shed, just wearing sweats & sneakers, no helmet, no gloves, it wa only a mile that would take 100 seconds/ minute and a half at most

I learnt a lot from that short moment of stupidity, 0-100-0  in that first half mile, I turned around as planned, don't know I made it back, shivering so bad, I had to let go of the bars, then take an extra couple minutes walking it up my drive

I don't consider a ride, a ride, unless I go 100 miles or more, my winter ride is a loop around Lake Winnipesaukee, coldest I have done the complete loop is -12f

I also learned something on that ride.  Luckily I didn't gas up till the end of the ride and only had 3 miles home to ride with frozen hands.  When you gas up in extremely cold weather, don't pay at pump, go inside, then take gloves off to get credit card out of wallet, and put your gloves back on before you handle the frozen pump handle

don't do what I did, take gloves off at pump like it's summer time. and don't expect heated gloves supplemented with heated grips, to thaw your frozen hands after you pull such a stupid maneuver, as I said, lucky I only had to go 3 miles

coldest I have been out, -52°f  a snowshoe hike in silviculture class at Paul Smith's College, and #2, -48°f, out surveying in Shelburne, NH, and it was windy as f*** that day as well, probably colder windchill than the Paul Smith's experience, I was just happy I was at base of Mt Washington that day instead of the top
RandyO
IBA#9560

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 02:37:58 PM »
the coldest I've ridden in -10 not sure of the wind chill at 65 is but it was nippy.

when I go out in extreme cold, I use duct tape to seal ant possible air leaks, a wrap around my wrist, and waist, anywhere that wind might push some cold air thru, If you have a leak, it may be cold frigid air, but can feel like a burning needle
RandyO
IBA#9560

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 04:44:11 AM »
Coldest I've ridden, I have to go back a long way so not sure.
Sub Zero, but not 20 below is about as good as I can recall.  (Mpls).

Coldest I've been in is about 40 below give or take a bit a couple times.  Both long ago and part of why I'm on the west coast.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 09:57:47 AM »
You lot are hardcore going out in that. Mind you, I really never get the opportunity.

My missus has a friend in Saskatchewan, where it is regularly brass monkey weather.

Despite my town being a good few degrees further north than Saskatchewan we are always 15-20 degrees (F) warmer in the winter.

God bless the North Atlantic Drift!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 12:17:01 PM »
🙌😊🙌
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 03:29:10 PM »
Coldest long ride---500 km, winter of 1960 in Germany, BMW sidecar outfit-----freak temps for Europe was -16F.

Not fun but I survived.   All weather jacket, feather jacket under, rain pants with jeans/long underwear, rubber zip overshoes over normal boots.  open Geno Helmet---Heinrich fairing and lowers managed air well

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 03:34:33 PM »
Despite my town being a good few degrees further north than Saskatchewan we are always 15-20 degrees (F) warmer in the winter.

God bless the North Atlantic Drift!

Snorvey, you are so right! A lot of people don't realize how far North most European cities are compared to North American cities. The maps of the cities overlayed on the other continent has always fascinated me.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 08:06:26 AM »
The Mediterranean resort of Denver with a breathtaking beach, crystal clear, blue waters and a golden, sandy beach. Bring your bikini and suntan lotion!

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2019, 10:07:06 AM »
32F in Australia.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2019, 04:58:15 PM »
That's because the place is on fire.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 06:29:17 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-51168462/canada-snowstorms-state-of-emergency-declared

A state of emergency has been declared in Canada after severe snowstorms hit Newfoundland and Labrador.

Not a bad wee run out today. A bit nippy at +7, but the heated gillet and gloves took care of that.

Think I might be coming down with Stigs Wuhan virus though.

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 12:18:45 AM »
TODAY!  Seriously, this is the first winter that I am riding a scooter.  When I started today, it was 38F, warmed to 42.  I broke out the heated gear.  I have a first gear jacket liner and gloves and a gerbing dual controller.  It roasted me on 5... I had to stop after 5 minutes and turn it down to 1. I ran like that for about 2 hours and started getting a little chilled... and set it up to 3.   That got me home.  I did a  a circumnavigation of Lake Lanier... about 115 miles... in about 3 hours and 45 minutes.

2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()