Author Topic: Riding  (Read 1222 times)

john grinsel

• View Profile
Riding
« on: December 19, 2019, 03:33:04 PM »
Not much riding going on right now on Forum----I see editing taking place---my comment on Mt Washington on Helix removed!

Not riding seems to be winter/weather/age of riders.

As Chattanooga boring and I am bored right now, planning on ride to Key West between now and 10 Jan.   Anyone want to go with??   I have done FL both Freeway and back roads-----since flat/boring will use Freeway south to Highway 1.

I have ridden to Key West many times, ride out slow, Usually I do not stay overnite, but if I do, camp at the Navy Campground=cheaper.

Main attraction of FL is, it is warm.

Want to go try me at 715 894 7857----I generally ride in all weather, 300-400 mile days on Freeway(although 250 miles is ideal for old farts)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Riding
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 04:43:29 PM »
sadly my scooter and motorcycle are put away for the long winter nap under their soft, fleece blankets in the garage. I will have to live vicariously through you and others who are able to ride in the warm weather over the next 3 months.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

wbdvt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 06:40:43 PM »
sadly my scooter and motorcycle are put away for the long winter nap under their soft, fleece blankets in the garage. I will have to live vicariously through you and others who are able to ride in the warm weather over the next 3 months.

Ditto but any warm day with relatively clean roads and I keep the path to the scooter storage snowblowed clear, I will be out!
2012 Kymco Downtown 200i, 2016 Vespa Sprint 150, 2006 Vespa GTS 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 07:16:55 PM »
Not much riding going on right now on Forum----I see editing taking place---my comment on Mt Washington on Helix removed!

JG, no idea where our Mt Wash. posts went. Was not removed by the moderator.
You've done it on a scooter.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 05:58:17 AM »
Reading this thread reminds me to appreciate the weather in our part of the word. The temperature where I live hardly ever goes lower than 10 deg Celcius. I almost ride 365 days per year and only heavy rain stops me from riding. Heavy rain usually comes in thunder showers and never lasts long - so even during such conditions I still ride during the better part of the day.

I can just imagine - not be able to ride for months must be very depressing. In my case riding certainly keeps the bugs away from my mind.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 02:54:44 PM »
I can just imagine - not be able to ride for months must be very depressing. In my case riding certainly keeps the bugs away from my mind.

You nailed it! For me, and probably many others, it IS depressing to not be able to ride. It's hard to explain to those who don't ride..the thrill, the rush, the mood improvement that riding gives you.

I survive by visiting scooter and bike forums and watching a LOT of youtube motorcycle/scooter channels. Just keep telling myself - around 3 more months until I can ride again!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 07:11:24 PM »
Ia hawk  you sound like your next door? as the weeks go by I spend more time on the tractor snow-blower, after a big snow fall 1/2 a day 5 or 6 hours as long as I have light to see,.  this year I installed a rear view mirror, and LED headlights , and one in the back so cars don't run me down,  Rockland near Ottawa On. by the river, 

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 11:16:10 PM »
de dee, you're even farther North than I am! I'm near Iowa City, IA (my Iahawk is for my University of Iowa Hawkeyes). I also like to work on my snowblowers, get them cleaned, detailed (yes, I detail my snowblowers..I know..I have a problem)..and keep them in perfect shape for the season. No tractor needed, for me, driveway isn't that big. Glad to hear you have lights on yours to keep you safe.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Trucker jay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 02:18:30 AM »
You should get up with klaviator he's here but a lot more active on advrider.  He does a lot of rides in ne Alabama and mid to east Tn.  I'm just over the mountain in Whitwell but I work a lot and mostly ride back and forth to work.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 03:36:26 PM »
I ride year round.  That's one of the reasons I live in the Southeast.  I managed to ride every month of the four winters I lived in Maine but that was much harder to do than it is here.

As for riding down to Florida.  I used to live in Florida.  When I lived there and had some time to go for a multi day ride I would head North and out of the state to find some good roads to ride.  Now that I live near a bunch of good and great roads I have no desire to ride down to Florida where the roads are straight and boring.

We have a bunch of days coming up with temperatures in the 60s so I'll be out riding.  A bunch of us are getting together for an end of year ride and lunch next Saturday.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 11:58:54 PM »
I like visiting the SE during NNE's blackfly season fer sure, other than that, I actually like the solitude of riding during a snowstorm at night on a back road, I don't think I could handle hot sweaty riding
RandyO
IBA#9560

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2019, 07:28:47 PM »
"We have a bunch of days coming up with temperatures in the 60s so I'll be out riding.  "

I thought so too... till Flu B.  got  me. Hopefully, this is the last day of this stuff for me and I'll be able to ride the rest of the week
2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Riding9
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2019, 03:34:14 PM »
Got out Monday, 64 deg F. Will go today...s'posed to be 71 deg F. West TN USA.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 10:22:50 PM »
I just blasted the monitor with the world's biggest sneeze!!

you all need to go quickly wash  :)

I'm getting back into my sleeping bag in the garage.....so I can be near a scooter....and dream about ….

flu-ie stig….
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 10:26:54 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 05:23:15 PM »
Decided not to ride to Key West right now....ride thru FL to Highway 1 just too boring for me right now-----2 long days of flat/ straight from Chattanooga to Hwy 1.   Been to Key West on bike many times.  Instead after 1st of year will take at least 2 day ride TN/AL/MS/Ark?.   No plan just go.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()