Author Topic: Kymco Like 200i Power loss  (Read 6197 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco Like 200i Power loss
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2020, 08:51:49 AM »
I was a member of a jury, in court, for the trial of a guy who was driving around at night in his Jeep ripping cat converters out from under parked cars with a chain.

The case involved a destroyed Miata exhaust system. The jury foreman said that, since the recycling yard only pays about $50 for these converters - we need to find him guilty of a misdemeanor. One has to reach the $600 mark for it to be a felony.
I pointed out that the receipt to repair the man's exhaust system was $3200 at the dealer.
I argued that surely it is not the "hot", "street" price that determines the $$ amount of the theft - but the actual value of the item.
"Rob somebody of a $1,000 Rolex and get $20 on the street for it does not make it a $20 theft."

I told foreman , "you'll need to tell the bailiff to tell the judge to order us supper, and book rooms for the w/e because I'm not going to place the damages at less than $600."
The foreman caved, and we had dinner at home.
Stig

You were so right Stig!  It's a crime problem here in the UK as well classified as theft and / or criminal damage.  Unfortunately a first offence rarely carries a custodial sentence!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2020, 01:07:06 AM »

Who knows - maybe they might be sitting with exhaust problems as well ?

These are new 4-stroke machines, not 2-strokes.  This is not a muffler problem, it's a "diagnostics" problem. I'd like to thank everybody, but guessing at solutions isn't helpful.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2020, 01:35:11 AM »
I understand the machine is a the "dealer" and his techs are doing the diagnosis. That does not seem to be going well or quickly which is no surprise. Since the essence of trouble shooting is considering the effected systems, how they work and both ruling out relevant possibilities and eventually finding the cause.

This is, to my recollection, the first time this kind of problem has arisen with any of these machines. I am also willing to bet some symptoms have been missed.

This will require extreme patience from all.....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2020, 08:46:45 AM »
These are new 4-stroke machines, not 2-strokes.  This is not a muffler problem, it's a "diagnostics" problem. I'd like to thank everybody, but guessing at solutions isn't helpful.

Firstly, you passed comments on a thread which is all about 4 stroke engines - not 2 stroke engines. I could be wrong  but I it looks like you do not seem to understand that according to the mechanic this is a muffler problem on a four stroke engine ? Similar to the engines on your friend’s scooters ? This is the exact reason why I guessed your friends might have a similar problem.

In this case it looks like even the professional mechanic or mechanics were guessing by times. To my understanding the owner asked for help at this forum, therefore some of us started guessing.
I personally learned a lot about scooters just by reading comments from members who started guessing about possible solutions. Even when certain “guesses” are not applicable on a spesific problem, it always make sense to try to remember what advice were given.
By times advice that was not applicable for a specific problem, help others to solve problems. To my mind forums will serve no purpose and members will loose interest if other members are not guessing about possible solutions.

As far as I am concerned - thanks to everyone for “guessing” about possible solutions all over this forum. It surely helped me to learn a lot.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 11:54:58 AM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2020, 06:44:05 PM »
Yeah, will put collapsed exhaust internals, possible broken O2 cable/plug/sensor/? into my thoughts when next a LIKE200i owner mentions trouble with power loss. Even at such low mileage.
Who knew?
IF it was due to collapsed exhaust internals - wonder if one could feel something 'not right' at the tail pipe?

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()