Author Topic: Night vision...  (Read 885 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Night vision...
« on: January 14, 2020, 04:57:11 PM »

Some portion of my ride is in the dark, every time I go out.
On pitch black rural roads my night vision is probably bothered more by reflective road signs - than the occasional car.
Some of the large yellow square signs are the worst because they are right near my line of travel - especially if there are a couple in a row.
These 'curve' signs aren't much trouble....unless a car joins them.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Night vision...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 11:02:27 AM »
Used to do an annual 24hour scatter rally over here which was 5-700 miles in total. For my money the midnight to 4am stint was always the most enjoyable. Used to plan my route to stay away from conurbations during that stretch to enjoy the empty roads in darkness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

OldCoot

• View Profile
    • Steve Wike
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 10:11:57 PM »
Used to do an annual 24hour scatter rally over here which was 5-700 miles in total. For my money the midnight to 4am stint was always the most enjoyable. Used to plan my route to stay away from conurbations during that stretch to enjoy the empty roads in darkness.

There are so many deer and other critters out at night around here that I don't ride at night. (Not that I ride that much during the day anymore.)
OldCoot, aka Brick Head
Greer, SC

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 10:07:21 AM »
There are so many deer and other critters out at night around here that I don't ride at night. (Not that I ride that much during the day anymore.)

I know! Rode up to Sturgis from Phoenix overnight back in the 80’s and as dawn broke spotted all the deer (moose?) carcasses at the roadside... Close call.

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 02:44:23 PM »
Every one of my rides begins in the dark.
I ride through rural Ohio. Plenty of deer.
We see each other frequently.
Cruising at 30>38mph, slower through tree-lined areas - we've had no close encounters.
Frankly, soccer moms with cells during the day, are the main reason that I prefer to ride before daylight with the deer.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
Night vision...
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 02:58:58 PM »
Wise. I won’t confess to my nighttime interstate cruising speed....

Let’s just say it was a tad more than 38 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 03:33:49 AM »
Not fond of night riding. It was my cousins favorite time to ride he always said less traffic.  He was a motorcycle safety instructor in Simcoe Ontario.  He planed a family reunion in Sioux Lookout Ontario. He was on the way there riding during a rainy night and came around a cornor and hit a moose. He was killed instantly. 

Instead of going to a family reunion I went to a funeral. 
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 08:23:46 AM »
Sad to read KK. We all recognise the dangers inherent in our choice to ride, but reading something like this does bring home the need always to imagine what could go wrong on any given ride. So sorry for you.

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 08:50:55 AM »
I chose to continue to ride but try to mitigate the danger. You will never totally eliminate it .  I'm a very defensive rider and tend to stay off the interstate.

I enjoy the freedom of riding to much to give it up.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 09:26:38 AM »
Wise man. I rarely use the Motorway (our Interstate equivalents) when on two wheels and long ago decided that investing in advanced rider training was the way to go. As you say mitigate the dangers. I too love it too much to give up riding!

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 02:34:34 PM »
Not fond of night riding. It was my cousins favorite time to ride he always said less traffic.  He was a motorcycle safety instructor in Simcoe Ontario.  He planed a family reunion in Sioux Lookout Ontario. He was on the way there riding during a rainy night and came around a cornor and hit a moose. He was killed instantly. 

Instead of going to a family reunion I went to a funeral. 
Sad story.
I ride in the dark pretty much every day that I ride.
I also poke along at a modest speed....figured it a deer and I  have a coming together, we'll just get up, cuss each other out, and go about our business.
I am frequently passed by a motorcyclist going at full song in the other direction. In that instant we can't offer each other much in the blackness and headlights.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()