Author Topic: Gas prices to upset our UK members 😊  (Read 1696 times)

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
Re: Gas prices to upset our UK members 😊
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 01:58:35 PM »
I think when the US inevitably catches up to our prices, there'll be piles and piles of scrap vehicles that they just can't afford to run anymore.

For now, I'm started tootling around on my ancient Honda Cub 70 again - clocking up a respectable 140mpg.

140 mpg!  More than respectable.  Having been introduced 50 yrs ago (and the C-50 70 yrs back), a shame more scooters haven't followed suit.

As for piles of scrap vehicles when US fuel prices advance, I disagree.  Think we'll see a lot of 4 wheelers used for shelter as people become too poor to afford traditional housing.
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2020, 01:30:00 PM »
Hi Viper,
Yes I think you're spot on there.  Higher fossil fuel prices are inevitable in the medium to longer term and that can only be good news for us frugal scooter fans!  Impressed by your 140 mpg, I get about half that on my XT300i, but it still does 3x the mpg of the missus' RRS lol

The C70 was the most economical of the three sizes we got in the UK. Scooters lose a big of efficiency in the CVT, whilst a Cub has semi-auto gearbox and chain drive, which is a smidgen more efficient.

I'm off to Wales (Dragon Rally) on it in a week or so, so I'll do some actual figures then.

I will respectfully disagree, I beleive fuel prices will drop as more electric vehicles are sold. Supply and demand 

That's another take on it - entirely possible I guess - if the infrastruction (fuel stations etc.) remain plentiful and cheap!

140 mpg!  More than respectable.  Having been introduced 50 yrs ago (and the C-50 70 yrs back), a shame more scooters haven't followed suit.

As for piles of scrap vehicles when US fuel prices advance, I disagree.  Think we'll see a lot of 4 wheelers used for shelter as people become too poor to afford traditional housing.

Hadn't thought of that either! Your cars and trucks are kind of big compared to ours, although the UK's road stock is slowly Americanising for sure.

I'm not sure if MPG is calculated the same way as it is across the pond... :(
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2020, 07:37:58 AM »
I will respectfully disagree, I beleive fuel prices will drop as more electric vehicles are sold. Supply and demand
Keynsian economics which needs to take into account Government action or inaction with regard to taxation. Any Govt seeking to discourage use of fossil fuels would likely use the blunt instrument of tax?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2020, 07:40:12 AM »
The C70 was the most economical of the three sizes we got in the UK. Scooters lose a big of efficiency in the CVT, whilst a Cub has semi-auto gearbox and chain drive, which is a smidgen more efficient.

I'm not sure if MPG is calculated the same way as it is across the pond... :(
Calculation is the same, but bear in mind a US gallon is smaller than a UK imperial gallon!

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2020, 02:03:01 PM »
Calculation is the same, but bear in mind a US gallon is smaller than a UK imperial gallon!

Miles per liter. As I recall the last time I visited the UK petrol was priced per liter.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 02:37:34 PM »
Keynsian economics which needs to take into account Government action or inaction with regard to taxation. Any Govt seeking to discourage use of fossil fuels would likely use the blunt instrument of tax?

Very true about taxation but the price of fuel itself should decline with less demand. Oil and refined products  are commodities traded on the market. It's  up to citizens to vote out heavy handed  politicians .
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 02:49:28 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2020, 03:10:17 PM »
Miles per liter. As I recall the last time I visited the UK petrol was priced per liter.

It is, you're quite right, but most of us still talk about MPG rather than miles or even Kms per litre.  I have a handy app (Fuelly) which does all the number crunching for me!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2020, 03:15:14 PM »
Very true about taxation but the price of fuel itself should decline with less demand. Oil and refined products  are commodities traded on the market. It's  up to citizens to vote out heavy handed  politicians .

In the absence of any other factors I agree KK, the price should fall as demand drops away, simple supply vs demand economics.  Mind you, without wishing to open any other cans of worms, I read the other day that one of the key rare metal ingredients for batteries needed for EVs could only supply the equivalent in numbers of 50% of the existing world-wide numbers of fossil-fuelled vehicles...  A new technology urgently needed I think?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2020, 03:59:17 PM »
In the absence of any other factors I agree KK, the price should fall as demand drops away, simple supply vs demand economics.  Mind you, without wishing to open any other cans of worms, I read the other day that one of the key rare metal ingredients for batteries needed for EVs could only supply the equivalent in numbers of 50% of the existing world-wide numbers of fossil-fuelled vehicles...  A new technology urgently needed I think?
Not to mention the pollution from the mining processing and disposal of the heavy metals for batteries.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2020, 09:07:23 PM »
I think your idea of using canned worms has potential.

Stig
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:58:35 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2020, 04:22:45 AM »
It is, you're quite right, but most of us still talk about MPG rather than miles or even Kms per litre.  I have a handy app (Fuelly) which does all the number crunching for me!

All my scoots I keep track on there.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2020, 09:10:50 AM »
All my scoots I keep track on there.

Good call
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2020, 10:44:35 AM »

Or less vehicles? Most of the developed world could probably survive with losing half of the rolling stock.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2020, 11:59:22 AM »
Yes, thanks for that Stig. Nobody likes a smug smarta**! Just to add to your smugness, the last fill up on my wife’s Range Rover Sport at 78ltrs came to £100.54 or about US$130.  Still, I can fill my XT300i for under a tenner!

I can't imagine filling up my Excursion with a 44 gallon tank. Your very fortunate not to have ethanol in your fuel, you have to make a effort to find non- ethanol fuel here. Regular  is 87 octane and premium is 91 octane.

The ethanol does a number on the carburetor if it  sits for extended periods. 

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2020, 02:35:00 PM »
I can't imagine filling up my Excursion with a 44 gallon tank. Your very fortunate not to have ethanol in your fuel, you have to make a effort to find non- ethanol fuel here. Regular  is 87 octane and premium is 91 octane.

The ethanol does a number on the carburetor if it  sits for extended periods.

Oh but we DO get ethanol in our fuel too!  Currently 5%, but talk of it going up to 10% soon
 :(
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()