Author Topic: Do you drop your insurance in the winter?  (Read 1345 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Do you drop your insurance in the winter?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2020, 11:55:59 AM »
A bit like a mixture of our road fund licence and number plate I think!
We call them a tag but the correct term is license plate, your correct it would be the same as your number plate.

Other vehicle differences you call it a bonnet we call it a hood, you call it a boot we call it a trunk, you call it a wing we call it a fender. I've learned a lot just watching Wheeler Dealer. It started out in the UK then moved to California.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 12:05:56 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2020, 02:11:49 PM »
We call them a tag but the correct term is license plate, your correct it would be the same as your number plate.

Other vehicle differences you call it a bonnet we call it a hood, you call it a boot we call it a trunk, you call it a wing we call it a fender. I've learned a lot just watching Wheeler Dealer. It started out in the UK then moved to California.

Close, but no cigar KK, your fender is our bumper usually mounted on the wings and under the bonnet!!
ROFL

Answer me a question if you will.  Why do some Americans pronounce route, as rowt while others call it root like we do?  It's always puzzled me, is it a west coast / east coast thing?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2020, 03:23:50 PM »
Because root is what you find on the bottom of a plant or tree. Route is the highway you take such as Route 66. Please reread my prior post in the US a fender is what you call a wing. We call it a bumper you call it a  fender correct?

I think Winston Churchill said it best. Something to the effect, ( English and Americans separated by a Common Language).

I did look it up in the dictionary and route is pronounced root in the UK and rowt or root is acceptable in the US. You got to keep in mind the US is a big place with different dialects.  Kansas by itself is 82,278 Sq miles with a population of 2,911,505. The UK is 93,627 Sq miles with a population 66,435,600 million
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 04:08:06 PM by Kansas kymco »

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2020, 12:59:41 AM »

"license plate" is actually a misnomer,  the number on it signifies registration, not license, but I have never ever heard them called registration plates, like the registration stickers I get for my OHRVs
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2020, 09:37:59 AM »
Please reread my prior post in the US a fender is what you call a wing. We call it a bumper you call it a  fender correct?

I t

You've now thoroughly confused me KK, not difficult I know.  I'd always thought the things at the front & rear of a car were fenders in the US hence the expression fender-bender.

I think that I may have been labouring under a mis-aprehension all these years?  Giving it more than just a passing thought, I suppose a bike fender is what we call a mudguard here so the thing performing the same function on a car is the wing! Or fender?  Which means when talking about the thing you mount the licence plate on, it's a bumper on both sides of the Atlantic.  Yes?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 09:56:04 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2020, 12:08:18 PM »
Bonnet ....and skirt.
Wore 'em both to my induction physical.
Didn't work.
They still drafted me.
Stig😊
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 12:10:05 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2020, 01:17:13 PM »
Ha ha.  Nice one Stig. 

Missed out on conscription here in the UK (I was about 4 years-old when it ended) and I often wonder what the experience would have been like.  My eldest brother who did National Service time in the army as a conscript reckons it was the making of him, calling it the best years of his life!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2020, 02:44:10 PM »
You've now thoroughly confused me KK, not difficult I know.  I'd always thought the things at the front & rear of a car were fenders in the US hence the expression fender-bender.

I think that I may have been labouring under a mis-aprehension all these years?  Giving it more than just a passing thought, I suppose a bike fender is what we call a mudguard here so the thing performing the same function on a car is the wing! Or fender?  Which means when talking about the thing you mount the licence plate on, it's a bumper on both sides of the Atlantic.  Yes?
Yes the bumper is what you mount the lcence plate on the front and rear, by George I think we got it.

I remember the first time I had to help start my Aunt's British  car (RR) with the battery in the boot, I was confused as well.

Just watched a British program where they talked about the micro-car the Trogan 200 three wheel car with a 200cc motor. It was at the buble car museum in Lincolnshire.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 03:07:33 PM by Kansas kymco »

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2020, 02:43:36 PM »
Used to know someone who drove (rode?) a Messerschmitt three wheeler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2020, 12:07:32 PM »
Used to know someone who drove (rode?) a Messerschmitt three wheeler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seen on American Pickers (tv show)the Messerschmitt three wheeler's are selling for 30k now.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2020, 02:17:33 PM »
Blimey!  That's a lot more than over here.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2020, 06:01:29 PM »
Blimey!  That's a lot more than over here.
If they are in excellent  condition up to 35 k in US dollars which would be about 27,163 pounds. Or at least that's what they claimed.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2020, 02:24:34 PM »
If they are in excellent  condition up to 35 k in US dollars which would be about 27,163 pounds. Or at least that's what they claimed.

Starting price looks to be about £20K looking at this:
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/81/
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2020, 04:32:55 PM »
To me those buble cars look like a rolling sweat box. Much rather hop on the scooter, probably a lot cheaper  insurance wise as well.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()