Author Topic: What led to your decision to purchase a scooter?  (Read 1202 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
What led to your decision to purchase a scooter?
« on: February 12, 2020, 08:40:58 PM »
I have always owned motorcycles and currently still do. I have a pair of BMW's so if some of my old motorcycle buddies visit we could go for a ride. I think they were intimidated by the bikes. I thought I would get a couple of scooters that were less intimidating.  I bought a couple of 500 xciting's and not exactly small or light weight.  I took them on a long ride for a  ROMEO ride  and discovered how smooth and quiet they were with good wind blockage. I ended up purchasing a couple of smaller scooters the People 150 and a Lambretta uno 150 (Herchee )from a person who had them in a garage sitting unused for years. In fact the 2008 Lambretta was last tagged (number plate) in 2009. The smaller scooters are not intimidating and they will probably ride them. 

Just curious what brought you to Scooters and how long have you been riding them?
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

big blue

• View Profile
Re: What led to your decision to purchase a scooter?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 09:23:12 PM »
I had a lot of m/c s over the years but always wanted  a scooter, so when I retired I looked into what was available. I liked the idea of the CVT running gear for around town riding as a second "car". My scoot has given me lots of miles of fun as well as a great form of cheap transportation.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 09:56:13 PM »
At 82 years old with a bum hip, I gave up my too tall dual purpose motorcycle for a Like 150i.
I can and will go everywhere except the interstates, and the scooter is actually more fun to ride than the motorcycle.
Like 150i ABS

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 11:15:52 PM »
Visiting Mid-Ohio VMD and Barber Vintage weekend I needed something to get around those venues.   Throw it in the back of the truck and I'm good to go.  Also, since there's no clutch to worry about I could carry swap meet treasures while riding - or a cup of coffee.  Still on a KLR by the way.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 11:37:44 PM »
Interesting I owned a 2009 KLR as well. I currently own a Kawasaki Versys 650.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 12:41:55 AM by Kansas kymco »

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 12:31:25 AM »
It started off innocently enough. I have ridden about 60000 road bicycle miles and about 20,000 dirt bicycle miles over the last 40 years.  I am very comfortable on two wheels.  I decided that I wanted a cheap scooter. At the time, 2013, there were two or three really good GY6 scooter forums with lots of information (all have since died horrible public deaths due to infighting). So with the info available, I set out to find a cheap 150cc scooter.    I went to Craigslist, the place to find these things at the time. For cheap (under $300), I was looking at the dregs of scooters. I was persistent, though, and kept looking and kept looking.  For me, that has turned out to be the key for getting a cheap deal on a scooter. Finally, there was a virtually brand new 2013 scooter with front end damage and only 300 miles. All of the plastics were perfect
(or so I thought. Turns out there was a front fender that I never knew was there!), it started first time , but he had hit a curb and the wheel was pushed back into the wheel well. I did not know anything about scooter front ends at the time, but I knew that if the frame wasn't damaged, I could probably fix it. It came with a helmet that fit me... so for $300 I bought a scooter with title and everything.

When I got that scooter home, I started taking apart the front end.  Low and behold!, this thing has a front end like a 1980's bicycle!  I kid you not...  ball bearing head set and everything.  Only on a scooter, they call the whole thing a "triple tree". and what I saw was a bent triple tree... an easy fix if you can find a replacement. FIRST BIG CHINESE SCOOTER PROBLEM:  There are no replacements.  Yes, maybe for some of the more popular chinese scoots, but this one is pretty obscure.   I took careful measurements and found one that was a 99% match that would work. But before purchasing, I thought I would try straightening this one.  Laugh all you will, but I have a 20 ton press and I have straightend rifle barrels! The point is to bend them just past straight in the opposite direction and do this little bits at a time. With a rifle barrel, you can look down the barrel at the pattern the rifling makes and get it surprisingly exact without complicated tools.  This triple tree was not much different. After just a few minutes, I was able to get it back to very, very close... close enough to ride it.   I put that thing together and went and got my MC learners permit so that I could ride it legally on the road.

The interesting thing about this scooter... and maybe all 150cc class scooters... is that it has a wheelbase almost exactly like a large frame 29er.  It basically is small and turns much like a bicycle.  I rode this thing around my subdivision for about two months I rode until I could do figure eights in the street in the 22ft wide road in front of my house in either direction without putting a foot down.  Then, I started taking it out.  I am very fortunate in that the mountain twisties start a mere 4 miles from my house. What I quickly discovered is that this thing does not have the lean that a bicycle (and motorcycle) does.  I would scrape the center stand. It also took a while for me to get comfortable leaning into turns at 50mph. All of my previous two wheeled adventures occured at (mostly) 25mph or less, though I did 62mph on some straight away downhills on a road bicycle! Anyway, I rode for about 2 more months, practicing all of the maneuvers that would be on my MC test.  I put out rocks and practiced a slalom. I practiced the accelerate and cutaway, accelerate and fast stop... all of the stuff on the test.  Then , on the fateful day, I rode 30 miles there and took the test.   On this day, I went first ahead of some guy on a HUGE Harley that had failed the previous week.   I offered to let him ride my scoot for the test, but he declined.  His buddy was pissed because others had also offered smaller and easier to test-on bikes.

I went first, passed all of the maneuvers first time and earned my license. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 12:38:06 AM by rdhood »
2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 01:35:02 AM »
Jetta died of cancer.
Went looking for something to ride 365 here in Ohio.....which made about as much sense as driving that old Jetta so long.
Family frowned on a motorcycle for a father of 6 - but a scooter is so un-macho & so "European".
Did combat and have 6 kids - nothing left to prove to myself or anyone else.

So, this LIKE200iLX.  No idea it was going to be such a good scooter.
Stig
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:33:20 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 08:51:08 PM »
rdhood no laughs from me, I'm impressed you have the skills to be able to straighten it. Getting ready to tackle a winter project scooter myself if my bid is accepted. I will start another thread if/when I take it on.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 10:27:19 PM »
I rode a scooter on holiday in SE Asia. After using it to get nearly everywhere, I came back home and immediately got one.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 10:42:18 PM »
1968----as daily motorcycle rider since 1955, including new Harley (1966) factory sidecar outfit, BMW 500/Steib S350 sidecar for winter----bought my first scooter, a used Sears Vespa 125, then later as Sears was getting out of the scooter business, a vespa 125 (small frame) in the crate for $400----Later PX200 in Denver, riding it to WI without proper MC clothes=cold.  When PX in Germany, getting out of scooters, new P150E for $400----All this time using motorcycles as my prime transport. 150 I liked better than 200.

1990 Japan, bought my first new Helix (Fusion in Japan market), followed by 3 more new ones---I liked them covering over 175,000 miles ----there have been Reflex/Daelim/Suzuki/Yamaha along the way.

Last spring my last motorcycle went bye bye---now only scooters, last bike was Honda CB300F, approaching 80 and now 80, My Honda SilverWing became too heavy---with the CB300F gone, bought new Kymco XTown 300i ABS (2019 model), like it, the step over and dry feet thing---if I get older/weaker, etc may try Like 150.

All in all since 1990, 11 new maxiscooters and over 400,000 miles with them----and now no motorcycle and maybe hips like scooters....this is where I am right now....still daily rider.

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 04:55:31 AM »
I started riding scooters in Rome. Gas was expensive and cars are hard to park in the city. A scooter can fit in most spaces and go down one way streets going in the wrong direction fairly easily :). I have ridden a Kawasaki Ninja before, but my back was getting sore from bending over the tank all the time. I like the ease and simplicity of a CVT transmission on a scooter. When I returned back to the United States I just kept riding scooters by buying a Kymco 300. I wanted the Honda 300SH, but they wouldn't offer it over here. I was very happy with the 300 gti and I love my current 400i. If Kymco were to offer the People 300 People S in the United States, I would definitely get another one.

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 03:18:54 AM »
Jetta died of cancer.
Went looking for something to ride 365 here in Ohio.....which made about as much sense as driving that old Jetta so long.
Family frowned on a motorcycle for a father of 6 - but a scooter is so un-macho & so "European".
Did combat and have 6 kids - nothing left to prove to myself or anyone else.

So, this LIKE200iLX.  No idea it was going to be such a good scooter.
Stig
When I was younger Scooters were not what I was interested in. I rode a Enduro from when I turned 14 and got a license. Back then Japanese bikes were frowned upon from the HD crowd. Like you I didn't care and I had a blast.  I still own some dual sports (Enduro). I was surprised when I rode my first maxi-scooter at how smooth and quiet it was.  Now my neighbor a HD owner is considering a scooter because of bad knees and his wife has a bad hip that make getting on a bike difficult. 

My Dad use to have a saying ( I'll give a dam what people think when they start paying the bills).

Dk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 03:10:39 AM »
Wanted a high fuel economy, simple engine that I could build and maintain on my own, with a short learning curve to ride that would let me join my family and friends on their motorcycles.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 07:52:12 AM »
Just wanted to feel the wind while I’m holding handlebars. After I sold my previous bike I realized life is way too boring without handlebars.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Beaker99

• Auckland, New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 12:59:22 AM »
All my scooters have been purchased for the convenience of commuting. My first one (50cc) was way back in 1989 while at University. It was the cheapest way to get around as a student. In 2005 I moved to Cape Town in South Africa and purchased a 150cc which I drove for 5 years. Now back in New Zealand and I've graduated to 300cc. I'm doing 100km a day commuting to and from work and loving every minute of it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()