Author Topic: Do you work on your own scooter?  (Read 497 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Do you work on your own scooter?
« on: February 16, 2020, 11:53:51 AM »
Just curious how many people work on their own scooter ?  How many just do normal maintainence?  How many take it to the shop for everything?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 12:35:53 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you work on your own scooter?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 01:23:30 PM »
I do all services and repairs on my scooter myself. Also keep extra an CDI, Voltage regulator, spark plug, and fuses in stock - just in case.
Fortunately I had almost all tools needed (i.e Multimeter, spanners, sockets, torque wrench, screwdrivers, tyre levers, etc.) to work on the scooter in my posession at the time I bought it. I only had to make a variator tool to service the CVT system.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

wbdvt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 01:37:15 PM »
I have currently 5 scooters (4 Vespa, 1 Kymco) between my wife and myself.  I have done all repairs and maintenance myself such as oil changes, coolant changes, filters, belts, valve adjustment, etc.  I have also replaced 3 voltage regulators (2 Vespa, 1 Kymco) and a fuel pump and lines on a Vespa.  I think it helps one to know the scooter better to be able to at least do some maintenance activities oneself.  So far I have not had to use the dealer for anything as the nearest Vespa dealer is 2.5 hrs away and the nearest Kymco dealer is about 1 hr away.  There are local motorcycle shops in town and I do use them for tires.
2012 Kymco Downtown 200i, 2016 Vespa Sprint 150, 2006 Vespa GTS 250

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 02:58:37 PM »
I do the basic maintenance that is required. Any valve adjustment/interior engine repairs, etc... I usually bring it to the dealer, which is about every 2-3 years, because the dealer repair rates are not that expensive.

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 03:45:41 PM »
like the others, I do all my own maintenance. Oil, gear oil, spark plug, filter, valve adjustment, new rollers, belt, clutch assembly, cleaning and checking brakes, brake fluid, rear wheel removal (involves removing a lot of stuff to get at it!)

I have both a scooter shop and a full line motorcycle/powersports dealer in town. The motorcycle dealer actually carries Kymco, although they don't stock many scooters, think they usually have a few more Kymco 4 wheelers in stock.

So the option is there to get it to the dealer if something comes up that i can't fix, like the new tire I had them put on my wheel that I brought in to them.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 04:32:30 PM »
I can afford scooters (LIKE200ILX,  FORZA, BURGMAN,  PIAGGIO), but can't afford dealer service fees.
Now I carefully do my homework, and only purchase scooters which:
1) have stellar reviews
2) are going to be easy for me to service
My local mega brand bike/scooter dealer sees me for warranty work (twice) and tire and bearing installations. (4X)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Beaker99

• Auckland, New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 12:35:36 AM »
I will do everything I can myself. It's just more rewarding to keep the bike on the road yourself. If I had serious mechanical issues then I'd get a professional to work on it, but normal servicing or basic repair work, I'll do it all.

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 03:32:53 PM »
I do most of the work myself... at least all of the maintenance items and any bolt on part fixes. I've even been bold enough to replace piston rings. I  think the ecu/maf/throttle body/injector is just a different way of doing things, and is not to be feared
2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 05:20:27 PM »
Not yet as happily, it's still under warranty!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 02:25:55 AM »
I do most of it.
I respect that the dealers have to make a living, but 500 bucks (proposed) for a fork job on the burger was a bit much for a two hour (at most) job. <70 bucks including all parts and a clamp table with a couple hours of my time was a lot more palatable.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()