Author Topic: Oil pressure light after 10 minutes  (Read 831 times)

Dk

• View Profile
Oil pressure light after 10 minutes
« on: February 18, 2020, 08:45:26 PM »
On my People S 250 I replaced the mechanical seal in my water pump and my oil seal just behind it.  Changed the oil, gave it a test run around the block for 15 minutes which overheated it so I immediately turned it off and burped the coolant.

But now as I idle it for 10 minutes, the oil pressure light comes on, flickering.  I know there's enough oil in there and I even put in a bit more, likely too much, just to test it and I get the same result the second time.  I see no smoke coming from the exhaust or evidence of mixing of coolant/oil which was my first thought having just replaced the seals. 

Update: 7 hours later the issue isn't repeating.  I ran it for 15 minutes.  It must have been caused by coolant shortening wiring during burping of the system.  I don't see why that would trigger the oil pressure warning after ten minutes of idling, but the only thing different from before is the coolant should have dried up by now. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 03:21:49 AM by Dk »

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Oil pressure light after 10 minutes
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 05:44:27 AM »
On page 15 of my People 250S owners manual under 13 oil pressure light:  (Should go out when engine is running except for occasional flickering at or near idling speed when engine is warm).
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 11:38:11 AM »
What oil do you use on this engine and what is the mileage on this scooter ?
The light probably comes on because the engine idles for ten minutes - which means the oil gets thinner due to engine heat. If you use an oil with higher heat rating, the light should not come on.

By the way - I never allow any engine to idle an engine for such a long period. Ten minutes is way too long. Most engines do not get properly lubricated at idling speed - therefore more wear and more heat due to a lack of air flow.
Rather just start the engine , ride off immediately and don’t worry if the light doesn’t come on.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 11:55:17 AM »
As KK says - read page 15 of your manual.
Flickering oil light after extended idling is apparently normal for this scooter...
Thanks KK.
BTW: My aircooled scoots frequently idle while I'm taking roadside photos. Nothing crazy - but a few mins & frequently.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 04:45:50 PM »

BTW: My aircooled scoots frequently idle while I'm taking roadside photos. Nothing crazy - but a few mins & frequently.
Stig

I’m just guessing but I think forced air cooled engines will not get that hot during idling conditions. Therefore an oil pressure warning light on air cooled engines (if any) will not come on that easy during idling conditions.
The big advantage about air cooled engines - it warms up real quick and there is no need to let the engine warm up for an extended period.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 05:21:23 PM »
I’m just guessing but I think forced air cooled engines will not get that hot during idling conditions. Therefore an oil pressure warning light on air cooled engines (if any) will not come on that easy during idling conditions.
The big advantage about air cooled engines - it warms up real quick and there is no need to let the engine warm up for an extended period.
The People 250S is water cooled

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 05:45:30 PM »
The People 250S is water cooled

Yes, I was just referring to the air cooled scooters Stig was referring to.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 05:56:26 PM »
What oil do you use on this engine and what is the mileage on this scooter ?
The light probably comes on because the engine idles for ten minutes - which means the oil gets thinner due to engine heat. If you use an oil with higher heat rating, the light should not come on.

By the way - I never allow any engine to idle an engine for such a long period. Ten minutes is way too long. Most engines do not get properly lubricated at idling speed - therefore more wear and more heat due to a lack of air flow.
Rather just start the engine , ride off immediately and don’t worry if the light doesn’t come on.
Good advice on not letting scooters idle for extended periods they depend on air flow for proper cooling.

Page 37 Kymco People 250S  owners manual ( In hot weather the engine overheats easily at long-time idling. Stop the engine in this case).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 06:03:22 PM by Kansas kymco »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()