Author Topic: Another rant about dealers and techs NOT KYMCO!  (Read 1895 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Another rant about dealers and techs NOT KYMCO!
« on: February 20, 2020, 09:15:51 PM »
Yeah, don't faint! Not Kymco but Chevrolet! Got a 2017 Spark made by Daewoo in Korea. Figured made in free Asia, no sweat, right? Got a tiny oil seep at the head gasket judging by the oily, dirty stripe that runs all around the front of the engine. So, I take to dealer since their warranty is for three years! The tech says there is no leak! Bull pucky! The STANDARD set by HONDA's example in 1960 was No Leaks, Drips, Seeps or Errors from static or rotating joints. Plus there seems to be a trend in this 1400 cc four-banger to have head gasket failure.

Thinking about taking pictures and sending them to GM HQ and quickly unloading this otherwise pretty neat little car. It has a CVT after a three-speed auto shifter.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Another rant about dealers and techs NOT KYMCO!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 09:43:25 PM »
I know of another person having a difficult time dealing with GM on a warranty issue. It's been a nightmare for them, the dealership has had their truck longer then they have in the past year.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 10:39:23 PM »
Yes, KK, I am taking this move as "we will stiff-arm this rube until the warranty runs out!" The time allowed to replace a head gasket is probably too short for the tech to actually make any money. My guess since the average bill is about 1800 according to the internet. Yes, dollars!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 10:43:13 PM »
Dang Karl, sorry to hear this. I looked at one of those while dealer was overfilling the oil change on my Silvertato1500i.
Noce looking car.
I'd wipe that oil with orange degreaser, photo the clean block, and take photo when it reappears and show them (email or whatever ) to the regional customer service representative.
Keep us posted please.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 11:04:34 PM »
It's one of many reasons why Holden, a subsidary of GM, is pulling out from Australia. Substandard cars with substandard service.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 12:17:48 AM »
It's one of many reasons why Holden, a subsidary of GM, is pulling out from Australia. Substandard cars with substandard service.
I would have loved to have a Holden sport ute but sadly GM never brought them to our shores. I use to have a El Camino SS (ute) in 1978 that I enjoyed but was built very cheaply.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 09:47:55 AM »
I forgot that Chevy owned Daewoo - they pulled out of the UK quite a few years ago now.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 10:09:56 AM »
I forgot that Chevy owned Daewoo - they pulled out of the UK quite a few years ago now.

Probably just as well from this tale of woe!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 04:49:21 PM »
GM sells way more vehicles overseas than they o in the good ole USA so they dont care anymore what we think. GM has become the largest seller of vehicles in the world and is losing business here, but they dont care anymore. Was a long time Gm owner, but moved to Jeep to get away. So far no regrets, my jeep is quieter, more power, better economy and built better.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 05:00:33 PM »
Sadly after many years of GM ownership I got screwed over three new vehicle's in a row in the 90's and switched to Dodge and Ford. Since I pull a large RV a import is not an option.

My last conversation with GM warranty dept went like this; ( At this time we chose not to honor your warranty ) my reply; ( At this time I choose not to purchase another GM product).  I have kept my word.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 05:07:06 PM by Kansas kymco »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 07:43:44 PM »
GM sells way more vehicles overseas than they o in the good ole USA so they dont care anymore what we think. GM has become the largest seller of vehicles in the world and is losing business here, but they dont care anymore. Was a long time Gm owner, but moved to Jeep to get away. So far no regrets, my jeep is quieter, more power, better economy and built better.
...and owned by Fiat.
It's a crazy world....

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 10:17:18 PM »
Made another attempt at a picture...sunlight, mirror, droplight, flashlight not enough hands, too little room....but could see well enough to confirm the leak of oil or "uncle freeze" at the top of block/ bottom of head. Will just trade it quickly to the dealer....

Well, the Korea KIA is still tickin'. I would do another of those in a heartbeat! Really need something with NO CARPET! Thinking of one of those gorpey-lookin' small size service vans with windows...'Transit?' vans by Ford. Anybody?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 10:11:17 AM »
Don't know of anyone that owns one. It looks to have a 2.0 -4 cylinder rated at 150 hp and 144 lb ft with a max payload of 1570 lbs. Car and Driver gave it a 4/5 and Edmonds 7/10.  It would probably haul a scooter without a issue.  Looks like base price is 28,315 for the XL trim. I would drive one and tell us what you think about it. 

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 12:13:45 PM »
I like driving/riding under warranty--so far Kymco no need for warranty----Had 2 new Hyundai Genesis---wonderful cars if you like tanks---no problem on warranty, did get money back from failed ABS unit on first one at about 85,000 miles ($2300!)-----currently wife has new Audi Q5, after a week of use, spent the next 2 weeks in shop, electrics!---they paid,paid for rental car, too----What do I think of the Q5?....2 and a half ton Mexican truck, with no dip stick, using high test gas----she could have gone next door, got VW with basic same engine/dip stick/same car/decent trans/front drive for about half price!! Reg fuel,too.

Right now I have bought new 2018 Mitsuibishi Mirage, kinda like it, dealership shop dirty----having warranty problem----headlites will not adjust----lows at about 30 feet ahead right now-----dealership Service Manager does not want to warranty------so filed NHTSA complaint, waiting for District Service Manager to come around to approve warranty replacement parts.   Mitsuibishi has moved their HQ to Knoxville----may end up going there---I speak Japanese, so no trouble with dealing with Japanese CEO.  Car is made in Thailand and quality it otherwise good.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2020, 12:31:05 PM »
Really appreciate all the inputs! I really appreciate all of you!

Going today to see about cleaning out the KIA at a detail shop. I gave up keepng a nice car several years ago because of, well, several reasons. One reason is (don't tell anyone) I have been having trouble being able to do several hours of hard labor removing dog hair from the carpet. So the minivan is a real mess.

Guess what?  The original battery from 2014! Yep! Now that I opened my yap it will probably conk out!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()