Author Topic: Another rant about dealers and techs NOT KYMCO!  (Read 1894 times)

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
CROSSBOLT, be careful
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2020, 02:16:52 PM »
I had a valve cover gasket leak on a Honda Accord years ago. The car caught on fire with me. I had to put it out by throwing snow on it.
If you are driving it, it might be a good idea to have a fire extinguisher on hand till you get your problem solved.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Another rant about dealers and techs NOT KYMCO!
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2020, 03:01:23 PM »
Really appreciate all the inputs! I really appreciate all of you!

Going today to see about cleaning out the KIA at a detail shop. I gave up keepng a nice car several years ago because of, well, several reasons. One reason is (don't tell anyone) I have been having trouble being able to do several hours of hard labor removing dog hair from the carpet. So the minivan is a real mess.

Guess what?  The original battery from 2014! Yep! Now that I opened my yap it will probably conk out!
Having two Collies is why my Ford truck has rubber floor mat instead of carpet. They only thing I found effective at removing dog hair from carpet is duct tape, extra sticky is even better. The vacuum cleaner is useless.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2020, 03:13:55 PM »
Yes, enine fire a REAL possibility, Boo! Parked, next ride to trade-in.

KK, nailed it! We have had until recently six dogs that ride in that thing so you can imagine!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2020, 03:19:32 PM »
I had a valve cover gasket leak on a Honda Accord years ago. The car caught on fire with me. I had to put it out by throwing snow on it.
If you are driving it, it might be a good idea to have a fire extinguisher on hand till you get your problem solved.
Or, warm coat, gloves, scarf, paid-up insurance policy, and maybe some trail mix to snack on while you watch her burn.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 02:20:00 AM »
Yes, we usually don’t like doing warranty work. Why? The manufacturer shortchanges us. Example: a repair that pays us 1 hour under warranty will pay approximately 1.4 hours once the warranty is over. Likewise 10 hours warranty = 14 hours customer. The larger the repair the greater the disparity. Combine that with the fact that in most cases , unless we figure out a shortcut, it’s almost impossible to perform most jobs in the allocated warranty time, and you see why.

Having said that, it’s still our DUTY to perform any needed repairs as long as we can get reimbursed by the manufacturer. And when a customer points out a very minor leak, we may GROAN. But we know it’s our duty to fix it.

Management usually WANTS us to fix it because it’s sure money. So it seems as if they would gladly fix your car. After all, THEY don’t do the work, we do. .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

mousejunks

• View Profile
Re: CROSSBOLT, be careful
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2020, 09:34:38 AM »

Was it the 4cyl or 6 cyl? The gasket on the 4cyl is pretty manageable to replace, as with most 4cyl Jap cars.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2020, 02:13:21 PM »
Yes, we usually don’t like doing warranty work. Why? The manufacturer shortchanges us. Example: a repair that pays us 1 hour under warranty will pay approximately 1.4 hours once the warranty is over. Likewise 10 hours warranty = 14 hours customer. The larger the repair the greater the disparity. Combine that with the fact that in most cases , unless we figure out a shortcut, it’s almost impossible to perform most jobs in the allocated warranty time, and you see why.

Having said that, it’s still our DUTY to perform any needed repairs as long as we can get reimbursed by the manufacturer. And when a customer points out a very minor leak, we may GROAN. But we know it’s our duty to fix it.

Management usually WANTS us to fix it because it’s sure money. So it seems as if they would gladly fix your car. After all, THEY don’t do the work, we do. .

And I so get that! The short changed part! That time allowed by the manufacturer and the dealer managers is unrealistic. I thought at one time to be a car tech in a dealer but found that it was a real pressure cooker. Survivors like you, Forbes, are better men than me!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
Re: CROSSBOLT, be careful
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2020, 04:29:19 PM »
Was it the 4cyl or 6 cyl? The gasket on the 4cyl is pretty manageable to replace, as with most 4cyl Jap cars.
It was a 4 cylinder. I bought the car used. I assume someone adjusted the valves and did not install a new gasket. I found out later the Honda ALWAYS  recommends installing a new gasket anytime the valve cover is removed.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2020, 09:03:39 PM »
Made another attempt at a picture...sunlight, mirror, droplight, flashlight not enough hands, too little room....but could see well enough to confirm the leak of oil or "uncle freeze" at the top of block/ bottom of head. Will just trade it quickly to the dealer....

Well, the Korea KIA is still tickin'. I would do another of those in a heartbeat! Really need something with NO CARPET! Thinking of one of those gorpey-lookin' small size service vans with windows...'Transit?' vans by Ford. Anybody?

Transit vans are a national icon in the UK. Try one :)
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2020, 09:58:53 PM »
The full size Transit or the small Transit Connect?
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2020, 04:37:32 AM »
By the way, unless Dawoo has improved from the time they sold cars under their own name, I’m not confident in their quality. I’ve never actually been under the hood of a Spark. But finding out they were made by Dawoo , which in the past seemed to combine all of GM’s most unreliable and backwards technology to create a GM product than managed to be of lower quality than the other GM products , gives me much less confidence in them.

2009 Xciting 250

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2020, 04:44:49 AM »
Speaking of Daewoo, they made the Cruze for GM which was a terribly unreliable car after they switched from Suzuki. I also had a Daewoo washing machine that stopped working every few months.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2020, 08:18:24 AM »

The most popular one over here is the mid-sized Transit "Custom". I liked the way it drove, but I'm probably biased from driving Leyland DAF vans (British and horrendous, now thankfully gone bust)

GM have now gone from Europe after selling Vauxhall/Opel to Peugeot. I don't think anybody is particularly mourning their loss.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2020, 12:32:29 PM »
Yow!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2020, 01:37:34 PM »
The full size Transit or the small Transit Connect?
Either KK.  They both sell by the truckload (forgive the pun) over here!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()