Author Topic: Any issues with rear shaft mounted disk brake?  (Read 896 times)

Sqdqo

• View Profile
Any issues with rear shaft mounted disk brake?
« on: March 11, 2020, 02:49:51 AM »
Does the rear shaft mounted disc brake function and hold up well?  I suppose it's no different than a wheel mounted disc brake that is constantly in the water and mud. Do they stay quiet, no squealing?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 02:51:35 AM by Sqdqo »

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Any issues with rear shaft mounted disk brake?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 02:10:05 PM »
Sometimes it will squeal a little bit, especially when it's wet and you use the brakes for the first time that day. But don't your highway cars and trucks do the same thing? Mine do.

As you point out, I am not sure how the operation of this single rear brake would be much different than a brake on each wheel. You've got a rotating disc and a caliper that pushes the brake pad against the disc when the brakes are applied. You aren't going to keep the brake mechanism from getting wet or muddy if you're going through deep water or mud bogs. But if anything, the center placement of the rear brake provides SOME additional protection against debris, because it is above the skid plate, whereas the wheels themselves obviously go right through whatever you're driving over.

In my experience, you will get some debris on the top of the skid plate around the brake from time to time. Things like mud, leaves, small sticks can collect there if you've driven through lots of mud or brush. Just keep an eye on it and keep it cleaned out. The area there is easily sprayed out with a hose, and if there is larger debris, it's also easy to reach in there and remove larger debris by hand.

FWIW, many brands of side by sides have this single, shaft-mounted rear brake design. So, I guess it's at least sometime time tested and proven. I've had my machine for a year and have not had any issues with it.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 06:20:46 PM »
The mounting system on the Kymco SxS's is marginal due to the fact that the caliper will twist and flex a bit. They will squeak, chatter and clunk a bit and more so in reverse. Some are worse that others. Some owners reported no issues while others reported constant problems
CJS

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 06:52:54 PM »
I had to replace the disk, not long after I bought it, less than 50 miles, loaned to employees for a long weekend at Jericho Park, first, the rear skid pan got ripped off, then as I'm told, one of em was doing cookies in rocky terrain, threw a stone right into the disk, and bent it. They removed the rear caliper to get out.

NEVER AGAIN will I loan my 450i,  I let my son drive while I ride, that is about it

FWIW, you can't loosen up the rear end enough to slide the disk off the end of the shaft, ya gotta unhook it completely

YES, it holds up well, I've driven a mile wondering why it didn't seem to have power only to discover I had the parking brake on......doh!,   that was a long time ago, nearly 2000 miles, brake still functions perfectly, and parking brake still holds on the steepest hills (I haven't tried it on anything over 25%)

did I say I beat the crap out of mine
RandyO
IBA#9560

mstparker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 03:46:16 PM »
Rear brake is a squealing pig when using it going down a steep grade. I keep a can of brake cleaner handy and spray it down every week or so.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 01:41:41 AM »
Have close to 2k miles on mine, when the rear caliper gets loaded with crap ir grinds and squeeks.  A good blast from a hose stops it, but it quickly gets gunked up again.  Never a problem other than god awfull noise on ocassion

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 04:35:59 PM »
I had to replace the disk, not long after I bought it, less than 50 miles, loaned to employees for a long weekend at Jericho Park, first, the rear skid pan got ripped off, then as I'm told, one of em was doing cookies in rocky terrain, threw a stone right into the disk, and bent it. They removed the rear caliper to get out.

NEVER AGAIN will I loan my 450i,  I let my son drive while I ride, that is about it

FWIW, you can't loosen up the rear end enough to slide the disk off the end of the shaft, ya gotta unhook it completely

YES, it holds up well, I've driven a mile wondering why it didn't seem to have power only to discover I had the parking brake on......doh!,   that was a long time ago, nearly 2000 miles, brake still functions perfectly, and parking brake still holds on the steepest hills (I haven't tried it on anything over 25%)

did I say I beat the crap out of mine

OMG! I would have been so mad at those guys. Just another good reason to tell everyone who wants to use the side by side NO!

In addition to the scenario you described, if the bottom skid plate was gone and you were driving over uneven terrain, it's not hard to imagine a big rock sticking up off the ground and having the entire machine come down with the disk slamming right into said rock. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

As we've all said, these machines ARE tough, but still, you can break anything with enough carelessness and abuse.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 05:44:18 PM »
I hear ya, if someone wants to tryout my machine, I go along with them. You will drive it the way I tell you or go get your own!  I have lots of toys and one of the reasons I have so many, is I dont let others use them!

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 06:46:02 PM »
not something I would normally have done, I was conned into it for sure, with word that ant damage would be taken care of.... I ended up buying the parts,  the guy that did the damage is a "trained" mechanic thru motorcycle mechanics school. But I have later found out (he's a half brother to one of my employees) he can't hold down a job, and is not welcome at stepdads house cause things turn up missing. They also shredded a tire side wall, that came back with a used scab tire replacement
RandyO
IBA#9560

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 08:20:52 PM »
MMI or sumptin' else? No matter...he's ... ah ... history! Nyuk, nyuk! I get it!

OK, he was chief mechanic at some dealer! Yeah!

Sorry (no, REALLY!) to hear this. Don't know how stuff like this can happen so quickly.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()