Author Topic: 3 flat tires over 7 yrs  (Read 840 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
3 flat tires over 7 yrs
« on: March 24, 2020, 07:22:53 PM »
Rear, Mar 2015, Honda Forza300, Dunlop ScootSmart sliced by metal, required tow and new, up-sized, Pirelli, at the dealer.(no correct sized anything in USA!) $$$ Day!

Rear, Feb 2019, LIKE200i, screw in Michelin PowerPure 1/4 mile from home. Rode home for repair at home.*

Front, Sept 2019, Liberty150i, screw in Maxxis, miles from home, repaired on the road.*

*I used Tire Plugger kit on the road, and at home. No leaks.

and Slime pump.....

I make darn certain that each of these kits is under the seat of whatever scooter I take!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 3 flat tires over 7 yrs
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 07:52:45 PM »
Well, I don't daily ride as much as you but you know the flats I've had from the sticky rope posts here! I think your plugs are more elegant but the sticky rope stuff at Walmart are really cheap and plentiful. The "fixin's" to plug and the hand pump are "met in" permanently just to avoid that tow truck guy! So far, the flats have been all fixed at home base.

The power outlet on the Downtown would not have supported the excellent Slime pump since it originally had a .8 amp fuse. Now, it will since a separate wire and 20 amp fuse was run for the horn upgrade. The power outlet was rewired to that 20 amp line and the skinny wire now goes to the add-on TPMS. Are your outlets fused to power that tire pump?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 08:10:35 PM »
I followed Karl's idea: I installed a 12 volt socket in the Downtown's underseat basket next to the wimpy light and ran a 12 gauge fused wire (15 amp) directly from the battery. I also did it on both my GV 250's and I now carry a pump and patch kit in all my scoots. I can now pump up my tires anytime, anywhere.
2009 GV 250

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 08:20:52 PM »
I have two 15a fused SAE connectors run from the battery to 1) underseat and 2) glove box.   I have one of those 12v pumps  , and it came with a variety of connectors including SAE. I have never repaired a scooter tire, but have the tools/materials ready.   I am thinking about putting a hole in the gy6 scoot tire that I am just about to replace, and try out the kit just do be familiar with the process.
2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 09:18:00 PM »
This Slime pump has a Battery Tender-type socket   on it. I just plug it into my scooters' installed Battery Tender  leads...one is under the seat, the other is outside the body panel. The pump comes with 2 other methods to get power.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
a suggestion if I may
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 09:30:28 PM »
There is a much better option for a tire repair kit on the road.
Go to a good bike shop and buy a tire inflator kit that uses co2 cylinders. Or Google tire inflators.
This setup works very good. It is lightweight, compact, and packs away much easier than electric pumps.
The shops usually sell two sizes of air cylinders.
Have actually used this system on the road and it works great.
Of course you will need a cheap, simple, tire repair kit from a discount store.
Pliers, chalk, and a very small squeeze bottle of soapy water is handy.
With this system there is no need for plug in sockets, fuses, and extra wiring.
At present, I am using an inflator. It uses small and large cartridges.
It is a Genuine Innovations Ultraflate Plus inflator. Average price $18-$25.
It has a cover that fits on the bottom for small cartridges. Remove the cover when using the large cartridges.
This is the best setup I have ever used.
This system will inflate a large motorcycle tire to 32 psi easily. I used it on my V-Max one time when I had a flat on the rear. I was up and running in no time.
There are different types of inflators on the market.
Good luck to everyone and hope you don`t have to use a repair kit.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:55:39 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 11:05:29 PM »
I don't get as many as I used to, mostly cause I am trying to be retired, so I am visiting fewer construction sites. 20 years ago, I was getting 3 or 4 every year, needless to say, I have ridden a LOT of miles on rope plugged tires, mostly on my SV650, but also on my V-strom 1k
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 11:28:23 PM »
There is a much better option for a tire repair kit on the road.
Go to a good bike shop and buy a tire inflator kit that uses co2 cylinders. Or Google tire inflators.
This setup works very good. It is lightweight, compact, and packs away much easier than electric pumps.
The shops usually sell two sizes of air cylinders.
Have actually used this system on the road and it works great.
Of course you will need a cheap, simple, tire repair kit from a discount store.
Pliers, chalk, and a very small squeeze bottle of soapy water is handy.
With this system there is no need for plug in sockets, fuses, and extra wiring.
At present, I am using an inflator. It uses small and large cartridges.
It is a Genuine Innovations Ultraflate Plus inflator. Average price $18-$25.
It has a cover that fits on the bottom for small cartridges. Remove the cover when using the large cartridges.
This is the best setup I have ever used.
This system will inflate a large motorcycle tire to 32 psi easily. I used it on my V-Max one time when I had a flat on the rear. I was up and running in no time.
There are different types of inflators on the market.
Good luck to everyone and hope you don`t have to use a repair kit.
I have one of those also, boo.
Belt & suspenders...…
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 12:05:49 AM »
While I would never put that "Slime" goop in a tire, I do have one of their compressors, I plug it into the same pigtail that I use to charge the battery

I've rescued guys with CO2 inflators more than once
RandyO
IBA#9560

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 11:41:08 AM »
As high mileage rider, veteran of a few flats in Asia/Europe/N America-----I carry small hand pump (like bikes and scooter used to come with!)-----electric pumps can drain battery.....with scooter with no bump start/no kick start....you are screwed!!  Drained and ruined modern battery in Maine a couple of years ago!!

Then, I use plugs, but get home either plug from inside or throw tire away.  My record on one tire plugging---Chin Shin---3 plugs/11000 miles/BMW K-75......rear wheel easy to get off.   I rode tire out just to see how it behaved......it did well.

Returning in middle of night from Sturgis---had high speed rear flat that could have killed me....but got to side of road, Mankato MN----learned Trailer Bikers do not stop for help to riders!!  Finally Gold Wing rider with phone stopped---we set up morning tow to Goodyear shop---where with easy rear wheel remove, tire easily repaired from inside (after inspection). I slept in bushes with the bugs.

Touring with scooter.....most dealers will not have, for example 150/70-13, common to XTown/Burgman 400/SilverWing, etc......you are on your own...get to tire shop and they can probably repair tire....bike shops do not seem to do that anymore.

Of course I carry tow insurance in US....and in my kit a couple of straps and proper big strap so bike can be properly/safety tied down in event of tow----tow truck operators can be hard on bikes.   But first to get flat tire you actually have to ride bike!!

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 12:47:28 PM »
 "With this system there is no need for plug in sockets, fuses, and extra wiring."

To be clear, I added the wiring because I  like to use heated clothing and a battery tender. See my other posts. I ran one to the front because of the crappy .3A fuse in the glove box outlet! C02 is fine...been there done that. I depended on one for the bicycle for 20 years. As for now, I have a pump
2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 01:22:32 PM »
While I would never put that "Slime" goop in a tire, I do have one of their compressors, I plug it into the same pigtail that I use to charge the battery

I've rescued guys with CO2 inflators more than once

Why would you have to rescue people with tire inflators when they are the best option to begin with.
Tire inflators are simple, light weight, compact, and they work very good. They are practically idiot proof.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 02:17:33 PM »
John Grinsel - always love your stories! Real world, been there, done that, stuff!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 03:30:50 PM »

I'm on a motorcycle not a scooter, tires are bigger, sometimes it take several cartridges to fill a tire, also batteries are bigger than scooter batteries

while CO2 may be the best option with tiny tires and tiny battery, that changes quickly as tires get bigger and batteries get bigger

and FWIW, I don't drain the battery with the engine running while it's pumping
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 04:12:10 PM »

I'm on a motorcycle not a scooter, tires are bigger, sometimes it take several cartridges to fill a tire, also batteries are bigger than scooter batteries

while CO2 may be the best option with tiny tires and tiny battery, that changes quickly as tires get bigger and batteries get bigger

and FWIW, I don't drain the battery with the engine running while it's pumping
+1

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()