Author Topic: Adapting as needed  (Read 571 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Adapting as needed
« on: March 27, 2020, 11:47:03 PM »
I get out of the truck for reservoir walk with both kids ( dog & daughter) this morning. ....
I forgot my hat!
Last time I went outside without my Red Sahx cap was like 1987.
So I  tie my free-to-blood-bank-donors scarf over my head Soviet Babushka style. Daughter freaks, dog barks...they refuse to walk with me.
Told my daughter, "play along if people approach. ...I know some Russian."

One must be ready to think out of the box.....
Stig

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 03:35:44 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Adapting as needed
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 12:55:27 AM »
ha, you should see the looks I get when I wear my surplus ushanka, warmest hat I ever had
RandyO
IBA#9560

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 05:30:18 AM »
ha, you should see the looks I get when I wear my surplus ushanka, warmest hat I ever had

Haha I can imagine the feeling. I also have one with Russian badge and all. Got it from a guy in the Ukraine.
I can’t wear it - it’s too small, the climate is too warm over here, and the Russian badge will make me kinda feeling strange. Thinking of passing it on to my grandson.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 12:02:58 PM »
Haha I can imagine the feeling. I also have one with Russian badge and all. Got it from a guy in the Ukraine.
I can’t wear it - it’s too small, the climate is too warm over here, and the Russian badge will make me kinda feeling strange. Thinking of passing it on to my grandson.

too small ... is the reason I have a ushanka, Originally, my goal was to replace an old US Army surplus helmet liner that my dog ate. A warm winter hat in it's own right. But I couldn't find one, searching the internet, when I found a ushanka on ebay, my size, for $10, shipping included, from Russia, Came with the badge, mine is a black KGB issue ushanka

went to an evening outdoor bonfire party a few months ago, very cold out, I was wearing my ushanka, and Carhartt bibs & heavy arctic jacket, my GF was dressed in a bunch of layers, she looked like if you an imagine, a Russian peasant. Next time I saw my buddy that had the party, he sad everyone was asking him who the Russians were
RandyO
IBA#9560

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 03:33:15 PM »
Comrade Stig and peasant wife. LOL
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 07:47:36 PM »
too small ... is the reason I have a ushanka, Originally, my goal was to replace an old US Army surplus helmet liner that my dog ate. A warm winter hat in it's own right. But I couldn't find one, searching the internet, when I found a ushanka on ebay, my size, for $10, shipping included, from Russia, Came with the badge, mine is a black KGB issue ushanka

went to an evening outdoor bonfire party a few months ago, very cold out, I was wearing my ushanka, and Carhartt bibs & heavy arctic jacket, my GF was dressed in a bunch of layers, she looked like if you an imagine, a Russian peasant. Next time I saw my buddy that had the party, he sad everyone was asking him who the Russians were

Haha, it looks like “the Russians” made quite an impression.
I actually owned a little Russian 4x4 vehicle - Lada Niva. I ordered parts from Russia a couple of times and ended up ordering parts from a very helpful guy in the Ukraine. He actually send me the Ushanka as a gift. Unfortunately it is just too small .

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 08:26:53 PM »
Haha, it looks like “the Russians” made quite an impression.
I actually owned a little Russian 4x4 vehicle - Lada Niva. I ordered parts from Russia a couple of times and ended up ordering parts from a very helpful guy in the Ukraine. He actually send me the Ushanka as a gift. Unfortunately it is just too small .

I have a SKS, but it's a Yugoslavian model, I do get Russian ammo for it though, you can find cheaper ammo from Ukraine, Bosnia or Romania, but it's usually got corrosive primers

I've seen a Lada before, I was not impressed at all reminded me of a 1950s Fiat
RandyO
IBA#9560

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 10:02:13 PM »

I've seen a Lada before, I was not impressed at all reminded me of a 1950s Fiat

Yes, the quality of those vehicles is not good at all. At any given time at least one or two components are in process of failing. Gearboxes only last between 50 to 60 thousand kilometers. Diffs don't last, body start rusting away almost from day one. Engines usually need a complete rebuilt between 100 to 110 thousand km.

The only positive about those things was very cheap spare parts directly from Russia and the Ukraine at the beginning. Initially part prices were very good due to the currency’s exchange rate , as well as low part prices in Russia. But the value of our currency got worse by time, and they started selling parts at much higher prices.
In short- buying one of those vehicles without been able to do repairs yourself always ended up in a very expensive experience.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 01:16:45 AM »
I looked at buying a Ural, the only dealer within 200 miles was right in my town, but I think he closed shop a couple years ago, at least the Urals are BMW technology even though old
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()