Author Topic: How are you responding to the Virus?  (Read 506 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
How are you responding to the Virus?
« on: April 05, 2020, 09:22:08 PM »
I have to make a grocery run tomorrow...using the "early shopping hour for seniors offered by Krogers.
Wife sewed me a mask to wear.....as the Ohio Governor is asking us to wear a mask in order to protect others when in stores, should we be a carrier.
I wanted to wear my balaclava.....but wife said it makes me look too much like a terrorist.

We are still taking long walks in the State park....and I will be riding to my coffee village on my scooter, for coffee at a sidewalk table in the dark. :)
Wife was furloughed from her medical office 2 days ago....daughter the same from Kohls. They will be filing for unemployment tomorrow. We're luckier than many - with my State employee pension and SS. 

Hope you folks are staying healthy. Surgeon General says this is going to be a very, very tough week for the USA. We'll get through this....

Stig
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 09:35:10 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: How are you responding to the Virus?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 07:55:24 AM »
Into week 3 of lockdown here in the UK and some informed speculation that it could go on in some form to June or beyond?  My wife is a key worker and is likely to be redirected onto a 24/7 shift pattern for the duration covering absences.

I’d love to get out on myTriumph or scooter, but it just wouldn’t be the responsible thing to do. Thoughts & Prayers for all those affected, especially health workers and the bereaved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 10:28:42 AM »
We are in our 2nd week of lockdown in South Africa. The mood swings from very concerned to more positive.
Specialy the poor do not respect lockdown rules, and many of them do not believe that the virus even exist.

According to some latest news reports from reliable sources, research found that the mortality rates are up to 100 times higher in countries where the TB (BCG) vaccine was never used.
Those vaccinations during childhood were mandatory for many, many years in our country - and hopefully our citizens have some kind of unwitting protection against this virus.
Time will only tell I guess. 

One of the many things I’ve learnt from Coronavirus - my Kymco doesn’t like not being used for a couple of days. Let it stand for a couple of days - and it battles to start. Ride it every day - and the engine starts instantly, within a split second.
Quite weird I guess.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Neil955i

• View Profile
How are you responding to the Virus?
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 12:56:14 PM »
We are in our 2nd week of lockdown in South Africa. The mood swings from very concerned to more positive.
Specialy the poor do not respect lockdown rules, and many of them do not believe that the virus even exist.

According to some latest news reports from reliable sources, research found that the mortality rates are up to 100 times higher in countries where the TB (BCG) vaccine was never used.
Those vaccinations during childhood were mandatory for many, many years in our country - and hopefully our citizens have some kind of unwitting protection against this virus.
Time will only tell I guess. 

One of the many things I’ve learnt from Coronavirus - my Kymco doesn’t like not being used for a couple of days. Let it stand for a couple of days - and it battles to start. Ride it every day - and the engine starts instantly, within a split second.
Quite weird I guess.
Hadn’t heard the TB vaccination angle before, that’s interesting.

As for the Kymco not liking being left, I’ll let you know later. Mine’s been standing for 10 days now, but I need to go to the Doctor’s later on it...

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 06:03:20 PM »
10 days in the garage, neglected and unridden, but today the X-Town 300 started 1st time on the button. Yay!

A quick ride to the Docs to collect meds, then the long way home. Well, you gotta charge the battery aintcha? [emoji23]

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 06:55:51 PM »
I try to walk daily (Southern California) around the perimeter of a public park. The gates to the park are locked, the playground is shut down with yellow tape, but we can still we can access the loop and grassy areas. Today, I wore shorts, shirt, shoes and socks (no mask). As I exited the park, I noticed a local police officer securing a flyer to a lamppost. The flyer was in Spanish, but it clearly warned folks not to enter and to follow common sense rules. I asked the officer if I was okay. He said, "yes, as long as you keep moving." So, mask is not required, keep your distance, and keep moving.

During my lunch, a local news story reported citations for a group of people in a public park gathered to watch the sunset. It turns out the neighbors called 211 to report them as Stay-At-Home violators.
2018 Kymco Like 200i (matte black)

christianblessing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 08:31:50 PM »
Two days ago I returned to Arizona from Thailand. I had already sheltered-in-place there for 2 weeks before leaving. In Thailand just to enter a 7-11 one submitted to a temperature check, had sanitizer poured into one's hands and had to be wearing a mask. I arrived at LAX where there were no checks and very few wearing masks. It was the same in Tucson. Thankfully my tiny bohemian town is taking things far more seriously.

Today the two 200i, the Xtown and the People 250 were taken out of storage and started up. Now to shake the jet lag.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Kymco X-Town 300
Kymco People 250
Kymco 200i
Vespa P125X
Yamaha N Max 155

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 01:08:38 AM »
10 days in the garage, neglected and unridden, but today the X-Town 300 started 1st time on the button. Yay!

A quick ride to the Docs to collect meds, then the long way home. Well, you gotta charge the battery aintcha? [emoji23]

My scoot isa carburetor model and I started thinking the fuel might be evaporating in the carbs slightly - but I am not sure. Maybe it’s time for a new spark plug.
I bought the scooter 16 months ago and this is the first time the scoot behave like this.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 07:01:40 AM »
Vaccuum carb on those older Agilitys - my GY6 stuff always struggled after a layoff to draw new fuel through, but once it was through I was away :)

The worst was when I was on the driveway cranking my Pulse Scout for about 90 seconds (on and off) before it eventually awoke from it's slumber!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()