Author Topic: What is your Scooters Role?  (Read 2148 times)

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
What is your Scooters Role?
« on: April 07, 2020, 11:53:25 AM »
Hi fellow Scooterists, this topic is for better understanding the community's general use of scooters.

What scooter do you own, what role does your scooter play in your life, and how well does it perform that role? As a start, I own an Agility 125 and it is my primary (only) form of motorized transport. The 125 it is a little small for my 24 mile commute. Even though it's fast enough, lack of cargo capacity is the largest drawback I have found.

Any and all opinions on scooter applications and uses are welcome.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
What is your Scooters Role?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 01:02:22 PM »
Hi there,
In more normal, pre-lockdown times, my X-Town 300 is pretty much my sole form of transport too since handing my Range Rover over to my wife!
Before the Kymco I ran a Honda PCX125, but traded it in for more power - I was looking for a comfortable 70 mph cruise. The XT has not disappointed and the carrying capacity with a 35l top case does not disappoint either. All but the full weekly shop disappears into the scoot.
Comfortable as standard for 200 mile trips (remember those?), what else could anyone ask?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 01:21:28 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: What is your Scooters Role?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 01:20:10 PM »
Thanks Neil. Exactly the sort of info I'm looking for.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 01:53:13 PM »
I have a 2010 People S 200, purchased in fall of '15 with 1863 miles. It now has around 2600 miles. I originally purchased mine because back when I was 14 I really, really wanted a new 1980 Honda Express but my parents said no way.

Fast forward 35 years and I decided to finally buy that blue 1980 Honda Express (surprisingly, plenty still available). Then logic got the best of me and I thought a bigger, newer scoot might be more practical.

So my scoot was purchased purely for joy riding around my town plus the underseat (then added top case) storage made it good for small hardware store, grocery store or beer store purchases.

After a year of riding it I realized I really wanted a motorcycle so I bought a little Ninja 300 in Fall of '16. I probably spend 90% of my time on the Ninja. I think I put 125 miles on the scoot last year? I still love it and take loving care of it (recently detailed it, full machine polish followed by a ceramic coat) but the Ninja gets my riding time.

My wife keeps asking me when I'm going to sell the scoot but I have no plans to ever sell it. I always offer my daughters rides on the back (they are pre teen) and they accept once or twice a year. So many people always regret selling their first bike so I figure if I keep it forever..no regrets!

So to answer your question - my scoot is used for neighborhood joy rides and the occasional run to the store. We have 3 cars for 2 drivers in the family (silly, I know) so the scoot isn't necessary for transportation, just fun.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 02:28:26 PM »
5 years ago, I got an almost new Chinese GY6 (broken) for a song and fixed it. I road it a couple hundred miles every year.   I am an avid bicyclist (started out mountain, then road, now mountain)  and put in at least a couple thousand miles every year on the local trails. So when I got a shoulder injury december before last, and couldn't ride all last summer, and wondered if I would ever bike again...I started riding the little scooter more. Then I got a bigger scooter.  Upon fixing THAT scooter (a Reflex) and riding it for a while, I decided what I really wanted was a 300cc fuel injected scooter.  So I searched all of the 300cc class scooters, came up with a short list, and started looking for scooters on that list . The Downtown was on that list, and I found one with 8000 miles for $1400.  Now the Downtown sits in  front of the garage door, and I take it shopping if whatever I am getting will fit under the seat or hang on the hanger, I take it for 4-5 hour rides in the N. Ga mountains,  it is my only backup transportation to my car.  I have almost 1400 miles on it in the last three months.... I am now sitting at about $1 a mile not counting maintenance/gas.  I have also decided that I really only "need" two scooters, and the Reflex and the Chinese GY6 are sort of surplus at this point (bought a BV350 for $1300 about a month ago, still haven't put it on the road, but it is almost ready).
2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 03:54:34 PM »
Bought a new Kymco LIKE200iLX for work commuting 8 yrs ago. (sold my running/rusty 24 yr old Jetta)
Very reliable scooter. (rec'd new throttle body under warranty - no other parts have failed)
Bought a 2018 Piaggio Liberty150i for its ABS, big wheels and step through design.
Also a very reliable scooter.
Added very significant rear brake & running lighting to both.
Use them nearly daily, year 'round, for leisure rides at day break - only.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 05:13:17 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.

I rode 2,500 miles per year on my road bike before I got the scoot. I stopped cycling for a while and then never really went back. I learned the importance of quality maintenance when working on the bicycle and have applied the idea of marginal gains to every vehicle since.

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 06:15:51 PM »
2008 Agility City 125, bought the end of 2009 with around 2600km.

Needed something cheap and practical to ride around town. Also wanted something that I could maintain myself.
After a few months stared using it to commute to work (40 km round trip).

Currently at 63000km.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Agility City 125

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 07:33:53 PM »
2009 Agility 125. After owning several motorcycles previously I bought the Agility 2nd hand during late 2018 with about 8500 km on the clock. Current odometer reading , about 22 500km.
The scoot plays a major role in my life - gets used for daily commuting and whenever I want to feel the wind. It always keeps the adrenalin flowing, always makes me feel younger, and always puts a smile only face.

My previous motorcycles had fairings with big windshields and initially I was thinking about mounting a big windshield on the Agility as well. The speed I am riding at made me realize there is no need for a windshield - I like feeling the wind when I’m riding around.

A top box has been mounted at the rear for further convenience, so the scoot fulfill all my needs. Well, almost.
The 125 engine is just a little too small for riding uphill in our area. Previously I was thinking of upgrading to a 300cc model in future but for the time being I think I will rather stick to a scooter with about 150cc air cooled engine with carburetor, 14 inch wheels, and disc brakes at the rear. I like scooters with step through design, air cooled engines, and prefer carburetor models for easier self-maintenance.

In short - I can kick myself for not getting hold of a scooter many years ago. My days of long rides are over for ever. At this stage of my life I just feel a long ride on a bigger scooter or motorcycle will never beat the joy and convenience of rather having a couple of shorter rides on a smaller scooter in our area.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Beaker99

• Auckland, New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 10:48:17 PM »
Hi there,

I have a Kawasaki J300, basically a Downtown 300, and it's mostly used to commute to and from work as the wife has the car to ferry kids around. I do a solid 100km a day, 50km each way, and it takes me around 50 mins depending on traffic. It's mostly motorway driving, but it can be slow going as rush hour builds. I honestly wouldn't live this far away from work if I didn't have the scooter. It makes the trip so much more enjoyable. The bike ticks all my boxes. It's big and heavy enough to feel confident on the motorway at 110kph, but nimble enough to get between traffic when needed. It's got all the power I realistically need, and heaps of under seat storage. The only thing I don't like about it is the  seat. I'm 6ft2 tall and I get a little uncomfortable if riding for an hour or more. I just need to be able to slide back another couple of centimeters, but the back rest stops me. I am however planning some seat modifications so that should take care of it.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 12:58:27 AM »
DT300i as the last of a series of scoots starting with an Agility 50 and  a Yager 200i. This all after a 40 lay-off from motorcycles. These retired days the DT is used to complete honey-do runs to store, 150 mile round trip for hair cut, 120 mile round trip to deliver used Walmart bags to Reelfoot Ministries thrift store and secret gift runs to big city for stuff not on Amazon! We have made scooter road trips over 400 miles one way to places like Branson, MO, Springfield, MO, Cumberland Gap, TN/KY/WVA and Huntsville, AL. Even pull a trailer with her People GTi300!

I enjoy solving problems on our bikes and sharing solutions on this forum. This forum has helped me in return when I got stumped. The DT300i takes performance superiority over the three motorcycles I rode over 50 years ago which inluded a 650 BSA and certainly over all the scooters. The DT is comfortable (relatively) and reliable. Probably my last bike.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 01:01:04 AM »
I traded a Kawasaki KLR 650  for my Like 105i last year.  The KLR was getting too tall and top-heavy for my bad hip.
I use it for both short fun rides around the area and some 100+ mile touring.  We have an informal scooter group in the area and organize frequent rides that tries to avoid speed limits over 45mph.
The Like is a joy to ride - more fun than the motorcycle and easy off and on.
Unless it exceed the carrying capacity,  I do most of my shopping and errands on the scooter.

Like 150i ABS

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 10:45:37 AM »
Kymco Like 200i - errands, neighborhood only, less-traveled paths, and whenever I need to change my attitude (I work from home). I have owned Scooter Libby for 7 months and still haven't reached the 600 mile maintenance.
2018 Kymco Like 200i (matte black)

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 11:19:01 AM »
My 2019 XTown 300i ABS is my 11th Maxi scooter since 1990---prior 4 Vespas….but I am primarily a motorcyclist...having had over 75 new bikes/scooters since 1955 (few used ones thrown in the mix)I ride my bike to near 50,000 miles...at that point trade at cheaper and get new one----What do I use scooter for.....just about all transport--- rode 49 states 2014--Burgman 400 and Suzuki TU250.

Scooters I like the dry feet thing---don't like, not so easy to work on.  My life time mileage is now over 1.5 million miles---as I approach  81 next month, I do have car I seldom drive, lots of bikes=not married! until 65.   I am happy with Kymco quality----if age takes over, may buy Like 150. 

Biggest fault with current maxi scooters=crappy windshields---buffeting can drive you nuts---my base line for wind management BMW twin with Heinrich uppers and lowers or Vespa with windshield cut to proper heights

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 12:52:31 PM »
Hi John,

That's a lot of miles. Is the Burgman 400 capable of Interstate riding with a 230 pound rider and 50 or so of gear? What issues would you look out for when buying an older used Burgman?

I have been looking at purchasing a large scooter for all transportation and am trying to figure if a 400 or 650 Burgman will best fit the spot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()