Author Topic: Dying after idling  (Read 560 times)

gnvernon

• 2012 Kymco Super8 2T
    • View Profile
Dying after idling
« on: April 20, 2020, 10:54:45 PM »
I have a 2012 super 8 50 2T that was in storage with stabilized gas for about a year and a half. I worked on it this past saturday and was able to get it up and running (even after finding a rat had been nesting in my transmission, causing everything to rust).

Once running, I can tell the idle is a bit low so I'm keeping my revs up at red lights. I tried adjusting both carb idle screws to no avail. As the idle is fading, if I try to give it any throttle, it will die almost instantly.

Any idea what this could be? Clogged jets? Clogged fuel line / filter? Appreciate the help.

eamartin

• View Profile
Re: Dying after idling
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 12:18:05 AM »
Have you pulled the carburetor, removed the jets and cleaned them?

gnvernon

• 2012 Kymco Super8 2T
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 02:14:46 PM »
Have you pulled the carburetor, removed the jets and cleaned them?

I have not yet. Planning to do that this weekend if not resolved by then, but was hoping I wouldn't have to. It's been a few years since I removed it to install larger jets so any video tutorials you have would be helpful!

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 07:19:37 PM »
Just for grins.
Have you checked your valves, & while at it checked your vacuum system including your PAIR tube.
I had that crack on my S200.  It caused a similar issue.  Think it was a $12 part at the time or something.  If that is it order the gasket(s) for it as well. I forgot to, but had some appropriate material around from an earlier project so was able to make 'em, but it was a PITA.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 11:07:05 PM »
mine would idle fine last year (S200) but if I gave it any throttle at all it would die. Classic symptoms of a clogged pilot jet. The opening in the jet isn't much bigger than a thick human hair and clogs easily. Not sure if this is your issue but cleaning the main and pilot jets would seem to be a wise thing to do after sitting for a year and a half.

Plenty of youtube videos on cleaning GY6 50cc carbs.

I disconnected just enough stuff to be able to flip my carb over to remove float bowl to get at jets.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

gnvernon

• 2012 Kymco Super8 2T
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 09:20:26 PM »
So I was able to find some time to take the carb out and clean it... let’s just say it definitely needed a good cleaning.

After re-installing, I kickstarted it, and it fired right up. However, it died shortly thereafter likely due to improper tuning which I expected. But since then, I haven’t been able to start it. It sounds like the engine is flooded, but even when turning the mix screw to a lean mix, I get nothing. Any idea what to do? I tried using starting fluid and even that’s not helping it turn over.

Appreciate the help

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 10:55:52 PM »
When you cleaned the carburetor did you removed the jets, clean them and look to be sure you could see daylight through both of them?

gnvernon

• 2012 Kymco Super8 2T
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 11:11:45 PM »
After cleaning them, yes I could see daylight through them. Was very happy with how clean I was able to get them.

Good news - I took the spark plug out and let it air out a bit and I was able to start it up within 3 kicks. It immediately idled super high and I turned the speed down a bit to be able to drive it a bit. Warmed it up and started adjusting the mix screw first, then the speed screw. It’s now idling great! Just need to figure out my starter now.

Appreciate the guidance everyone!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()