Author Topic: UXV700 Making some horrible noise...  (Read 939 times)

johnpoz

• View Profile
UXV700 Making some horrible noise...
« on: April 25, 2020, 08:20:28 PM »
Howdy all. New member here. Thanks to all who have come before. I've been learning a lot from the forums.

I have a UXV700 that is making a terrible racket. The guy who owned it before me said it's the CVT, and the balancers need to be replaced or something.  It will start (not easily), and drive, but when you give it a little gas at first it lurches if you try and go slow. When you give it a some gas, it'll take off and then seems to smooth out.

Also, if you try and operate it very slowly, like trying to park it somewhere without hitting something, it will sometimes die (was only running for a few minutes prior).

Here's a video of the noise it's making. It sounds ROUGH!  I know it's IMPOSSIBLE to ascertain from just this, but I'm hoping we can all at least speculate. Do you think this could really be a CVT issue, and I just need some sort of a kit to rebuild it or something? Or does it sound like something more nefarious.

(Sorry, I don't see how to embed a YouTube video in this post.)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: UXV700 Making some horrible noise...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 09:18:39 PM »
How many miles, hours, on your machine?
Have you watched any youtubes on changing the roller weights and belt, and giving the clutch a touch up with sandpaper?
Machine similar to yours, and probably a scooter CVT servicing will show you what will be involved.
On a scooter - full CVT renewal with fresh parts is not crazy hard - but I've no idea how difficult it is to get face to face with your CVT cover.

By the way -- Welcome to the site!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 09:40:17 PM »
Yes, welcome! I vote CVT.  Never had one of those apart but the engine sounds too good. We have the 500i version of that. Just take the cocer off the CVT and I'll bet you will find something very loose inside!

Hard starting seems to be a trait of the 500i and up because of the scrawny batteries they put in them. I put a Lawn & Garden battery in that storage box under the hood. Hooked extenders to the original cables, drilled a hole in the box and junked the oem battery after a season of fighting cold non-starts.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

johnpoz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 02:03:20 AM »
How many miles, hours, on your machine?
Have you watched any youtubes on changing the roller weights and belt, and giving the clutch a touch up with sandpaper?

Mine has just under 2,000 miles on it, which I thought was pretty low. But I have no idea what they might have done to it before I got it.

I had not seen any of those videos, but you can rest assured that I am heading straight to youtube now to see what I can find! :-) Thanks for the feedback!

johnpoz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 02:05:23 AM »
Hard starting seems to be a trait of the 500i and up because of the scrawny batteries they put in them. I put a Lawn & Garden battery in that storage box under the hood. Hooked extenders to the original cables, drilled a hole in the box and junked the oem battery after a season of fighting cold non-starts.

Great tip thanks! I can certainly do that, but do you have any thoughts about just replacing the standard battery with a lithium one? I've done that on several motorcycles to great effect. Those batteries are very powerful, although they're quite expensive.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 06:53:59 PM »
Great tip thanks! I can certainly do that, but do you have any thoughts about just replacing the standard battery with a lithium one? I've done that on several motorcycles to great effect. Those batteries are very powerful, although they're quite expensive.
I have no experience with lithiums. All whatever I know is hearsay except the price! Over a hundred bucks is a little rich for me. Coupled with the hearsay that they are lowvoltage in the cold. That is one place I do have experience with Segway personal transporter  in the cold just shuts down because of low voltage.

L&G batteries are 20 to 30 bucks at Walmart, have nut and bolt connections and are available year round. The only crappy thing is the standard battery box will fit only the motorcycle type battery.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 08:48:25 PM »
Yep, my bet is the cvt also.  If you decide to dig in, get yourself afactory service manual.  Mine is threw "cyclepedia".  Online and hard copies availiable

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 09:57:57 PM »
My last post on here was meant to be in RandyO posting on walking past his 450i...hopefully the moderator can correct this.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 11:03:38 PM »
My last post on here was meant to be in RandyO posting on walking past his 450i...hopefully the moderator can correct this.
Go ahead and post it again, where you wish.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()