Author Topic: Robot reviews Piaggio Liberty 150..and comments on Kymco!  (Read 2251 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Robot reviews Piaggio Liberty 150..and comments on Kymco!
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2020, 05:52:48 PM »
Two K-Pipes. a Spade, two Yagers and a Bet&Win in my stable. Forgot one in my MV post. Either I'm addlepated, or they're decent bikes. Nothing's exploded yet and all they've needed were fluids and consumables.

They weren't my first scooters.

Started on Vespas when they were just old, cheap and uncool. Still love the two smokers (got three). Moved to the '80s Hondas and then stumbled into Yamahas since they were more persnickety to fix. Got a burgeoning gaggle of Yammies (six) and a similar number of Hondas.

I've worked on the modern Vespas and there is a different slant to them than most other scooters. Holistically, there are several bits of clever engineering interspersed with several bits of silly mistakes; exhaust gasket failures melting rear brake lines, oil drain located above the center stand, heavy gauge power leads melting their connectors, to name a few. They're nice to ride new but they don't age any better than any other scoot. Resale is higher due to it being a more of a lifestyle brand.

One dirty little secret about the earlier Granturismo 200Ls; the driven clutch assembly is stamped up with "TGB"...Taiwan Golden Bee! If the cultured masses only knew...

I was a bit put off by Robot's dismissal of Kymcos. I get that Piaggio products define his paycheck these days, but please don't diss good engineering just because it wears the "wrong" badge. I still respect his skills and I'll still buy my pasta-burner bits from them, I'll just skip the scooter reviews due to a poisoned well of knowledge.

Maybe some sacrilege is in order...stick a 300cc Kymco mill into a Modern Vespa chassis and ride it to far-off rallies.  ;D 

Thanks for your post az!
(I'd love to see Robo doing his Record Setting 70mph on a Liberty!-----course he is getting to be a little skinny dude)

Stig
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 05:55:53 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 09:18:52 PM »
Yes, Vespa 300 EFI is a performance slug compared to any Kymco with 300 cc's.

Yep.  Got in an facebook dust up with another user who got a Downtown 300i loaner for his Vespa 300EFI, where he called the Downtown "Slow". He then proceeded to tell  the world how his (349lb GTS 300 with 20hp) could beat a (367 lb Downtown with 30hp), and claimed that the top speed on his GTS was over 95mph. 

It is absolutely hilarious what a Vespa owner will say when confronted with the realities of a Downtown. The fact is, the Vespa is a dated, classic design.  Yes, the GTS 300 is a fine machine. If I could buy a low mileage used one (or a 250ie) for under $1500, I'd add it to my stable. So I IN NO WAY hate on the GTS 300, but it is nowhere NEAR as fast as a Downtown 300i.   
2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 11:18:52 PM »
Yep.  Got in an facebook dust up with another user who got a Downtown 300i loaner for his Vespa 300EFI, where he called the Downtown "Slow". He then proceeded to tell  the world how his (349lb GTS 300 with 20hp) could beat a (367 lb Downtown with 30hp), and claimed that the top speed on his GTS was over 95mph. 

It is absolutely hilarious what a Vespa owner will say when confronted with the realities of a Downtown. The fact is, the Vespa is a dated, classic design.  Yes, the GTS 300 is a fine machine. If I could buy a low mileage used one (or a 250ie) for under $1500, I'd add it to my stable. So I IN NO WAY hate on the GTS 300, but it is nowhere NEAR as fast as a Downtown 300i.   
The Vespa is a classic. Denver has many restored two-smoke Vespas running all over the front range and up the big hill to the west. The GTS maintains the classic lines with a liquid cooled 4 stroke with EFI and melds old and new nicely. But for me the application for our desire to cruise with stability with clothes for the trip and the doggies in their boxes was not met by little wheels, short wheelbase and lower power for enormously higher cost! Now the People GTi300 did very well!

The people who love the Vespa are keeping the marque alive and I am happy for them and the whole family all the way back to the shop that makes them. Robot should try that philosophy next time.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

WEL

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 12:05:08 AM »
Definitely bad form to bash competitors. Especially, when there are many (millions?) of Taiwan made scooters running all over the world. A lot in third world countries where roads are rough and what I hear they take a lot of abuse.

I've owned a Vespa 300, but never felt comfortable on freeways. My Kymco feels stable at higher speeds and handles great on canyons.

Only thing that bothers me about Kymco, like others have said is the dealer network. I hope to enjoy my X400 fo many years.
KYMCO
2021 AK 550

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2020, 11:22:50 AM »

Only thing that bothers me about Kymco, like others have said is the dealer network. I hope to enjoy my X400 fo many years.

X400?  Is that the X-Citing 400?  If so, what are your more detailed thoughts of it as I'm tempted by one for next trade-in time!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

WEL

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2020, 12:13:22 AM »
X400?  Is that the X-Citing 400?  If so, what are your more detailed thoughts of it as I'm tempted by one for next trade-in time!

Neil - I find the X-citing 400 very balanced. Comfortable stock seat, good braking and just feels solid overall. Rear suspension is a bit rough over sharp bumps, but handles great on twisty roads. In the US they only sold the 400i for one year so it's pretty rare. Also is easy to work on if you are DIY guy.

I would not hesitate to buy another Kymco product.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 12:15:40 AM by WEL »
KYMCO
2021 AK 550

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2020, 09:44:49 AM »
Thanks WEL, just what I was looking for.  They're still selling these (well) over in the UK so I am sorely tempted...  Need to work out whether I can justify trading in my XT300 after only 8 months of ownership though!!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 12:17:37 PM »
Thanks WEL, just what I was looking for.  They're still selling these (well) over in the UK so I am sorely tempted...  Need to work out whether I can justify trading in my XT300 after only 8 months of ownership though!!
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/05/27/2018-kymco-xciting-400i-abs-scooter-review-15-fast-facts/

Hopefully the newer models have 2 wheel ABS?
Is there any radical improvement in the 400 just over the horizon -- that migh t cause a little buyer's remorse if you pulled the trigger now?
Sounds like a nice scooter - but, as always,  I'd be looking at any DIY difficulties when comparison shopping 300/400 cc scooters. Few things bug me more than discovering, after a purchase, that  my vehicle is stupid hard to service myself!
Stig
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:20:24 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

WEL

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2020, 05:54:37 PM »
For accuracy.
My 2018 US version of the Xciting 400i does have 2 wheel ABS.
KYMCO
2021 AK 550

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2020, 10:46:31 AM »
Yup, the models on sale here (UK) have ABS as well.  As for the Caveat Emptor comment Stig, you preach to the converted as I am very careful with my biking cash!  And more importantly would need to convince my wife that it was a worthwhile outlay... Makes me think we're talking minimum 2021 or even 2022 here!  :D
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()