Author Topic: How to need if i need new clutch?  (Read 1210 times)

Yoni159

• View Profile
How to need if i need new clutch?
« on: April 30, 2020, 07:41:43 AM »
Hi my scooter has been through 40000km i need to do service soon.. but my question is why my scooter when i put a full throttle from a stop the scooter accelerated with such a delay and then he start to get speed but not like in the past. And he strats to move always with vibration in the first 20kmh. Onther problem is when i put full throttle the scooter slow down between 100kmh to 120kmh like something is stopped him but few seconds after that he gain the speed but slow... Not like in the past.. so my question is maybe i need to change the clutch? Or do the service and check after the service?

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: How to need if i need new clutch?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 12:16:34 PM »
The start-off bog sounds like it could be a weakened clutch spring causing the engine to engage at too low of an rpm.
Become the best you can with what you have.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 02:30:00 PM »
Take off clutch bell and inspect. These things last forever. You may need to sand the shoes and where they touch the bell. And maybe like TBR125 pointed out, spring problem...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 03:37:28 PM »
Yep, you need to open the CVT cover and have a look - and a measure (the belt width) and a clean (belt dust) and a sand (clutch pads)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

balkoger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 12:04:11 PM »
Hi,
Check variator rollers diameter, and sometimes slide pieces stuck if your variator dirty.
After removing the cover, start your engine and look how it moves, be careful do not touch during that, use throotle for higher rpm like 4000-5000.
If your take of the bell use sandpaper slightly 120 grit or higher, as earlier mentioned.

Hi my scooter has been through 40000km i need to do service soon.. but my question is why my scooter when i put a full throttle from a stop the scooter accelerated with such a delay and then he start to get speed but not like in the past. And he strats to move always with vibration in the first 20kmh. Onther problem is when i put full throttle the scooter slow down between 100kmh to 120kmh like something is stopped him but few seconds after that he gain the speed but slow... Not like in the past.. so my question is maybe i need to change the clutch? Or do the service and check after the service?
2011 Downtown 300i -Sold
2016 Honda NC 750 Integra - owned

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 01:34:50 PM »
Has the clutch ever been replaced ? I think the clutch padding might be badly worn.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 07:02:33 PM »
 First look for dirt and especially grease on the belt and clutch pads.  Lightly apply the rear brake while giving gas and see if the belt, or the clutch, is slipping. Then clean the clutch bell with solvent, sand the clutch pads with 220 until bright and clean. Measure the belt width, inspect for cracks, replace if any doubts. Reassemble, start engine, rev it, see if improvement.
2009 GV 250

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 04:28:17 PM »
I have ridden several rubber band drive scooters to the 50,000 mile (80,000km) mark with no clutch trouble, so if you are in doubt see your dealer----3 of 4 Helix had rear clutch bearing replaced under warranty, my first Burgman 400 did have total rear clutch failure at 20,000 miles, replaced under warranty, but that is 2 of 11 maxiscooters, so these clutches are usually ok.

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 07:51:17 AM »
I have ridden several rubber band drive scooters to the 50,000 mile (80,000km) mark with no clutch trouble, so if you are in doubt see your dealer----3 of 4 Helix had rear clutch bearing replaced under warranty, my first Burgman 400 did have total rear clutch failure at 20,000 miles, replaced under warranty, but that is 2 of 11 maxiscooters, so these clutches are usually ok.

I think clutch pad wear will depend on how the scooter get used. If it mainly get used on short trips with many stops, the lifespan will be shorter than on a scooter which mainly gets used for longer trips with less stops.

My scooter only gets used for daily commuting around town, with many stops at traffic lights, etc. At 22 500km there is almost nothing left of the clutch padding. If I didn't had to stop so often, I guess the lifespan of the pads would be longer.

Yoni159

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 06:13:04 PM »
I dont have tools to open the clutch bell but i think its maybe is or some rollers my scooter also make a loud engine noise

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 09:18:22 AM »
If you are thinking of trying to solve the problem yourself, unfortunately you have no option other than to invest in the correct tools. Unfortunately there is no easy way out.

Yoni159

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 06:58:49 PM »
Updated: i noticed when i accelerate from 0 full throttle the scooter dont accelerate immediately its have big delay.. its can be clutch or rollers.. the belt looks good without cracks

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 07:17:33 PM »
You need to get hold of a variator tool to remove the clutch bell, as well as the variator. If your variator has cooling fins rather don't try to hold the fins with pliers or anything while you try to loosen the nut. One of the fins can easily break if you use the wrong tool.
A variator tool can be used to hold the clutch bell when the nut gets loosened as well.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 07:32:27 PM »
Before removing the clutch or variator: with CVT cover off and bike on center stand, have someone rev up engine and apply rear brake while you watch the action of the clutch (rear) pulley. If the pulley is slow to start moving then it's the clutch that needs work, otherwise the problem is a slipping belt or...? You can remove the clutch by bungy cording or holding the rear brake full on and removing the clutch nut with an impact wrench. Removing the variator requires a special holding tool that you can buy on ebay for around $20. Harbor Freight sells a 120 volt corded impact wrench for around $40.
2009 GV 250

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 08:04:51 AM »
The thinner clutch pads are (due to normal wear) the longer the travel of the pad arms, and the higher engine Rpm’s will be before the clutch will engage properly.

The clutch pads on my scooter is almost completely worn, and the engine Rpm’s is also quite high before take off at the moment. In my case (125cc) everything is not doom and gloom - the scooter pulls off like a rocket once the clutch engages at higher Rpm.
It doesn’t seem to have any negative results at top speed.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()