Author Topic: Kymco super 8 50cc help please  (Read 449 times)

Bazzasuper8

• View Profile
Kymco super 8 50cc help please
« on: May 08, 2020, 05:38:51 PM »
Hi there
I have just purchased a Kymco super 8 50cc 2014 has been sat for a couple years replaced battery and fired up ticked over nice , new fuel , oil before hand I took it for its first mot today (been off the road) and it passed few little bits fuses etc , they also serviced it , I’m new to bike world first ever one I insured it taxed it and was ready for my first trip out , drive it down back road all good 10mph to main road then on main road hit about 20mph and heard loud bang like backfire and then lost power and wouldn’t start , lucky was only 100 meters from home is there anything I could check or look for myself or any advice would be appreciated I did have a look no signs of leeks , they replaced spark plug and serviced it today with mot ,  ( won’t kick start either and with electric key it sounds like it wants to do something but like engine not kicking In
Thanks barry

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco super 8 50cc help please
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 06:09:03 PM »
For a start - maybe you should remove the spark plug, as well as the engine cooling fan cover at the right of the engine.
Then you can try to turn the cooling fan clockwise by hand. The engine should turn freely by hand without making weird noises.
If you can’t turn the engine you might have quite a big engine problem,  or maybe you should remove the CVT cover to see if the belt is not broken. If the belt is broken, there is a possibility that parts of the belt could stuck at the Variator.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Bazzasuper8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 06:35:31 PM »
Thanks for your time and advice really do appreciate it , it’s all new to me this I have taken few bits apart to access most of engine for when advise was given so I’ll try those steps and fingers crossed it’s not a big engine problem thank you

Bazzasuper8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 09:17:36 AM »
Engine cooling fan is that right of engine looking at it from the back ? Exhaust pipe side ? I removed a cover by exhaust and not sure what it is maybe starter or something that spins by hand and no bad noises

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 03:54:40 PM »
Yes, the plastic cover just at the right of the exhaust silencer.

Bazzasuper8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 04:32:49 PM »
Thank you it turns by hand no noise from engine thanks for reply

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 05:34:18 PM »
I just had another look at your initial post.

Don’t worry about the CVT belt. The fact that the engine turns means nothing got stuck at the Variator.

The scooter probably just need valve clearance adjustments. If the valve clearances have been adjusted during the service I think they need to have another look at the valve clearances again.

There are Youtube videos which shows how to do valve clearance adjustments - but if you haven't done it before it might be better to get it done by a professional. If you are not sure how to do it correctly you could end up sitting with bent valves and cylinder head damage.

Bazzasuper8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 05:10:05 PM »
Hi mate thanks for your reply someone has been and looked and it’s the cap on the spark plug lead that’s dodgy it’s been replaced and so far so good all working as should

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 02:35:46 PM »
No problem. I’m glad you managed to find the cause of the problem

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()