Author Topic: How can i check my motor temperature?  (Read 1204 times)

Yoni159

• View Profile
How can i check my motor temperature?
« on: May 23, 2020, 02:15:23 PM »
How i can check my motor temperature if its not overheat can i check it with non contact digital laser thermometer? If yes so where i should aim the laser thermometer? The the engine block? Or engine case? Or the cylinder block?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 02:19:59 PM by Yoni159 »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: How can i check my motor temperature?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 05:24:48 PM »
To what will you compare any reading you take?
Or are you just curious about temps on various parts of your scooter?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Yoni159

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 09:02:04 AM »
To what will you compare any reading you take?
Or are you just curious about temps on various parts of your scooter?
Stig
i aimed the thermometer near the cylinder its showed me something around 120 degrees Celsius and the other parts its showed 100 and 90 in dont know if its ok

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 09:40:08 AM »
There's probably no significance in the temperatures. You are only measuring the outside of the engine which is inaccurate as they do not represent the inside of the engine. Plus there is no airflow which will decrease them further.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 09:41:32 AM »
Who cares as long as it runs.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 01:14:41 PM »
What really matters for engine health is the oil temp. If the temp exceeds the oil rating it loses some lubricating ability which can cause additional friction, heat, and wear. If the bike is stock I wouldn't be concerned about the temp.

If you don't need a readout while driving I would look into dipsticks with a temp gauge built in. I have a carbed bike where the temp especially when modding is important and some people install an oil cooler depending on what all mods have been done to the engine.

Does your bike have a problem to cause you concern?
Become the best you can with what you have.

Yoni159

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 05:58:20 PM »
What really matters for engine health is the oil temp. If the temp exceeds the oil rating it loses some lubricating ability which can cause additional friction, heat, and wear. If the bike is stock I wouldn't be concerned about the temp.

If you don't need a readout while driving I would look into dipsticks with a temp gauge built in. I have a carbed bike where the temp especially when modding is important and some people install an oil cooler depending on what all mods have been done to the engine.

Does your bike have a problem to cause you concern?
yes i was a leak from a weep hole in the water pump about a year ago but not real leak its was.few drops and i never fix it.. now its not leak anymore but its still the seal still need to be worn.. and i concerns about maybe its can cause a oberheat and i didnt know it

Yoni159

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 05:59:03 PM »
Who cares as long as it runs.
yes until you have engine failure in the middle of the road... Great answer

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 07:21:00 PM »
Maybe you want to know the coolant temperature? That's what the dash gauge is showing but without an actual number of degrees. Autos run around 180-190 degrees F.  I, too, would like to know the actual temp (of the coolant). Why doesn't the gauge at least have a red line or light to warn of overheating?
2009 GV 250

Yoni159

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 10:08:57 PM »
Maybe you want to know the coolant temperature? That's what the dash gauge is showing but without an actual number of degrees. Autos run around 180-190 degrees F.  I, too, would like to know the actual temp (of the coolant). Why doesn't the gauge at least have a red line or light to warn of overheating?
yes i also dont like the gauge of kymco downtown really bad

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 11:05:49 AM »
yes i was a leak from a weep hole in the water pump about a year ago but not real leak its was.few drops and i never fix it.. now its not leak anymore but its still the seal still need to be worn.. and i concerns about maybe its can cause a oberheat and i didnt know it

If it's already stopped leaking then there's nothing to worry about.

If you're worried about overheating, make sure your coolant is topped up in the reservoir (under the left footboard), very old coolant is changed for new coolant and your radiator fan is spinning (it cycles on/off). The only way you can tell your system is not overheating is by looking at the digital temp gauge with 3 bars.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 01:05:40 PM »
yes i also dont like the gauge of kymco downtown really bad
The gage indication IS pretty broad but it is what it is. Better than a light that comes on when too late!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Yoni159

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 05:25:29 PM »
If it's already stopped leaking then there's nothing to worry about.

If you're worried about overheating, make sure your coolant is topped up in the reservoir (under the left footboard), very old coolant is changed for new coolant and your radiator fan is spinning (it cycles on/off). The only way you can tell your system is not overheating is by looking at the digital temp gauge with 3 bars.
yes i flushed the whole system about 3 month's ago with fresh zerex green coolant and the radiator and the reservoir are top up

Yoni159

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 05:34:50 PM »
 And another question in need to do 40000km service and now i am on 41500 km can be done damage to the scooter if i delayed it in 1500km?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 09:18:06 PM »
No. The service intervals are based on experience and judgement and to a certain extent are quite arbitrary. No harm is done by a 1500 km over. You can pick up the next regular interval or extend it by 1500 km if you wish. The main idea is to have some periodic system.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()