Author Topic: City Grip running the wrong way.  (Read 683 times)

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
City Grip running the wrong way.
« on: May 23, 2020, 02:34:07 PM »
Some time ago I noticed my first Michelin City Grip at the rear has more wear at the right and initially I was very disappointed . I initially thought I would rather not buy a City Grip again, but then I realized the tire pressure was probably just too low.
So at about 10 000Km on the City Grip the right side of the tire only had about 1.5mm thread left, and I decided to get hold of a new tire.

I like rubber tires, and having had very good results with Michelin tires on my previous bike, I decided to mount a new City Grip at the rear again. Apart from the wear at the right of the óld City Grip, the rest of the tire is still in very good condition.  I started thinking of trying something which I have never tried before - mounting the worn rear tire  the wrong way round in front, and let it run in "reverse" for the rest of it's lifespan. Maybe it doesn't make sense,but this was my reasoning:

The old tire in front was badly worn as well, and I was actually suppose to mount two new tires anyway. The old front tire also had more wear at the right - therefore I thought running the better side of the old City Grip at the right for the rest of the tire's lifespan should squeeze some extra kms from the tire.  This means running the old rear City Grip in "reverse" in front,  the better side of tire will run at the right in future - the same side which had more wear on the previous front tire.

So far, so good.  Initially I was not sure how the reversed City Grip in front would behave in wet road conditions. This morning I was riding through some deep water on a road and I was quite surprised - the scooter did not behave in a strange way at all.
So hopefully I will not experience any problems in future. I will just run the tires at higher pressure than before - trying to eliminate more wear at the right of the tires.

Some photos of the City Grips on my Scooter:
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: City Grip running the wrong way.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 05:21:25 PM »
A front City Grip is correct when it is mounted reverse of the rear mounting.
However some CG are designated as rear tires, for their load capacity. They are marked as "reinforced ".
No idea about your scooter or its CG's.
Stih5
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 07:11:34 PM »
I read somewhere that the directional arrow on the tire has to do with the way the tread throws water away from the tire and does not affect anything else. Does anyone know more on this issue?
2009 GV 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 08:52:51 PM »
I read somewhere that the directional arrow on the tire has to do with the way the tread throws water away from the tire and does not affect anything else. Does anyone know more on this issue?
Yes, the front does that in the wet. Also, the two tires have very different forces acting upon them....even with a lowly scooter's puny HP.
And the rear is following directly in the path cut by the front....unless you're getting ready to have a 'moment'!

Anyway, I follow the arrows on the tires when mounting.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()