Author Topic: Anyone have experience with a "Buddy 125" scooter?  (Read 664 times)

SemperVee

• View Profile
Anyone have experience with a "Buddy 125" scooter?
« on: May 23, 2020, 08:27:22 PM »
 Turns out the recently purchased 2011 Kymco i300 Downtown is too big for my Girlfriend and she has her eyes set upon something a little smaller called a Buddy 125 scooter.

Not near the size and plushness of the Kymco Downtown but considerably smaller.   Has anyone any input on the reliability and working on one?   This is a 2016 Buddy 125 with only 500 original miles on it for sale here locally.    We may be selling the Kymco Downtown and buying the Buddy 125 for her to putt around on.
Thanks for any input
2018 Kymco Spade 150
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2011 Kymco i300 DT (sold)
Many miles and smiles over 47 years of MC riding.
USMC Airwing Retired in Seattle WA

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Anyone have experience with a "Buddy 125" scooter?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 10:06:25 PM »
The Buddy is sold by the Genuine Scooter Company in Chicago. They are built in Taiwan by PGO and are very reliable and have a good owner base. Check out the riders forum at Modern Buddy.com for info.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 10:37:47 PM »
paging Dan V to the white courtesy phone.

Last year I had the chance to ride for three days with Dan V who was on a Buddy 125 and I got to ride it for a few miles.  Compared to my Like150i it felt a bit weak off the line and the brakes felt a bit weak but then the Like has really strong brakes.  Everyone else on the ride besides Dan and I was on a 250 or bigger.  The Buddy was the slowest of the group but was never far behind and we went up some pretty steep hills.  Top speed of the buddy was pretty close to that of the Like but it was slower up hills.  We rode around 200 - 300 miles per day on twisty mountain roads. 

From everything I have read the Buddy 125 has a very good reputation.  There is a local dealer near me that sells them and they told me they have never had one come back with problems.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 11:27:33 PM »
www.justgottascoot.com might have a thorough review of the Buddy.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 12:13:25 AM »
We had a Buddy 150 for her some years back. It was well built, very reliable after the "Stall of Shame" was solved thanks to the Genuine Buddy forum. We used Hiflo Filtro spin on filters, 87 octane American gas and any tubless tires.

The stall of shame was what affects EVERY modern gas engine scoot or motorcycle: gas tank vent valve sticking shut. The stall is eliminated by venting the gas cap.

She graduated to a Like 150i from the Buddy for longer wheelbase and slightly larger wheels. The Buddy made several long distance trips in spite of being comparatively less suited for cruising. There may be slight differences between the performance between the 125 and 150 like klaviator noted but not a deal breaker. You won't be able to wear it out!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 03:00:51 PM »
good timing... Robot with Vespa Motorsport just posted a nice, long review video on the Buddy 125. Have always read good things about the Buddy scooters.

2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 11:37:18 PM »
 Thanks all for the Buddy info and I have read about the stall the carb version had.  NO issue with the Buddy 170 that is fuel injected according to Cleveland Moto who made a great utube on all three models side by side if anyone is interested.     The more I play around on the Downtown the more I like it!   We may very well end up ordering a new Buddy 170 or the 125 and KEEPING the Downtown for me if I can get the seat carved up to suit myself or locate another i300 seat to buy.   My legs are very tight on this i300 and I would like to sit higher with less of my legs cramped on the i300 So I will be taking my  knife to add foam and customize the seat to fit me.  The original owner had it cut down.
Can anyone recommend who to buy parts from?  Thanks in advance.  I may end up selling my Victory Touring MC and just keep the two scooters and two bicycles we have!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 11:57:42 PM by SemperVee »
2018 Kymco Spade 150

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 12:04:51 AM »
I am enamored with the DT300i so I am not objective! WARNING! Stall of Shame can happen with ALARMING regularity on EFI machines! I do NOT care what anyone says. It has happened on both DT300i models and the Yager 200i that preceded. It can happen on nearly EVERY gas powered scoot or motorcycle since about 2000.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 01:33:56 AM »
I am enamored with the DT300i so I am not objective! WARNING! Stall of Shame can happen with ALARMING regularity on EFI machines! I do NOT care what anyone says. It has happened on both DT300i models and the Yager 200i that preceded. It can happen on nearly EVERY gas powered scoot or motorcycle since about 2000.
I've never experienced stalling on my FI- BMW motorcycles or my 250 FI- Xciting.  The rest of my Kymco fleet is carbureted.  Curious as to when this happens, is it at low speeds or highway speed? Hot weather conditions or cold?

I always use O-E fuel (no ethanol ) with Seafoam as a gas stabilizer.  I don't know if that makes a difference.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 01:43:35 AM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

dan v.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 03:08:17 PM »
Thanks, Klaviator, for the shoutout!     Yeah, I am a big fan of the Buddy.  Almost 14,000 miles now, and when I replaced the rollers, belt, and brakes at 12k the original parts were like new.  PGO makes a good product.

Riding with others with the Buddys there seems to be no benefit in the 150, or 170 over the 125.  I have had no problems with the carb, so I wouldn't call the F.I. in the 170 a benefit for me.  Unconditionally recommended.

The Like 150 has a few advantages or benefits over the Buddy, like the larger wheels, better lights, and brakes.  I am not a fan of electronic controls because I like to do my own repairs, and newer scoots kind of limit that.  I wished I had some more time with the Like because it seemed like a great scooter.

I would say either is a great buy - the local dealership and support is important in the decision.
05 Super 9, 06 Best & Win, and a fleet of other scoots.....
Grand Rapids, MI

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 03:27:15 PM »
I've never experienced stalling on my FI- BMW motorcycles or my 250 FI- Xciting.  The rest of my Kymco fleet is carbureted.  Curious as to when this happens, is it at low speeds or highway speed? Hot weather conditions or cold?

I always use O-E fuel (no ethanol ) with Seafoam as a gas stabilizer.  I don't know if that makes a difference.
There ARE machines that NEVER experience the Stall of Shame! My wife's People GTi300 has not had it happen...yet! There is no correlation to brand, carb, EFI, color, moon phase, whatever. Some vent valves stick and some don't.

The important thing is knowing the symptoms, proving the cause and performing the cure.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 03:31:46 PM »
 Thanks gents for all the info...
We just found a 2020 Buddy kick with 1000 miles on it only a month old across the water from me in Seattle.  Looks like it does not have transferable warranty and can get it for $2500 which is about $700 off new and no $375 locally for freight and set up.  The young guy wants a mc versus scooter now after a month!  I am running out of room to store vehicles now!! 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 03:33:28 PM by SemperVee »
2018 Kymco Spade 150

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 04:10:21 PM »
Seriously,  warranty is not transferable? !
Is it carbed, too?
Outdated stuff for 2020.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 09:57:50 PM »
  It is non Transferable confirmed by Dealer.  It is the most expensive new 125 as it has FI and cast wheels rather than steel wheels and Disk brakes F & R.  Fuel at R knee rather than under the seat.  Most Buddy Scoots are carbed until you go up to the 170 model.
2018 Kymco Spade 150

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 05:46:18 AM »
I only became aware of the Buddy after reading the comments at this forum. It really looks and sounds impressive.
The only thing I would not like about the 125 Buddy is the 10 inch wheels. To my mind those wheels are too small to be safe.
While this scooter will be used by your girlfriend, maybe you should also have a look at this video to listen to the guy’s comments about those small wheels.

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()