Author Topic: Gearing Up. How much is too much and how much is not enough  (Read 1113 times)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Gearing Up. How much is too much and how much is not enough
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 06:06:01 PM »
. I think we can all agree that our hobby is statistically more dangerous than most..

maybe a hobby for you, transportation for me, and certainly more more dangerous than my hobbies, or work,  my #1 risk is Lyme disease,  had it 4 times, even with preventative measures, and side effects that will stay with me the rest of my life

too much fear mongering amongst 2 wheelers about the danger, maybe some people want to believe they are doing something dangerous, it's not, unless you ride dangerously, following too close, speeding, weaving in and out of traffic....
RandyO
IBA#9560

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 12:37:47 AM »
um, yes, I think riding a motorcycle or scooter is a little more dangerous than playing golf or fishing...and to say there's no danger in riding is silly.

Too many stories of very safe riders doing everything right and still getting destroyed by a car so safety isn't 100% dependent on your own riding, unfortunately.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Super Dirt Dud

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 12:39:32 AM »
I dress for how I plan to ride . Aggressive ride full gear , commuting full gear , riding local full gear . Once in a while no helmet no gear and really take and enjoy the risk . Read Proficient Motorcycling really a great book .
I HAD THE RIGHT-OF-WAY will look splendid chiseled on your tombstone !

Be Careful out there
 2022 AK550
2023 People 150

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »

Too many stories of very safe riders doing everything right and still getting destroyed by a car so safety isn't 100% dependent on your own riding, unfortunately.

The statistics here in the UK demonstrate quite convincingly that rider RTCs (Road Traffic Collisions) are too often caused by SMIDSY* collisions at junctions.

Collisions at Junctions

Junctions are a common location for motorcyclist crashes, with around 30 motorcyclists being killed or injured in collisions each day. The majority of these collisions happen at T-junctions, when drivers pull into the path of an oncoming motorcyclist, particularly at times of peak traffic flow. However, these accidents are not restricted to T-junctions in urban areas. Motorcyclists are involved in more crashes at all junction types compared to other road users. These accidents are more likely to be the fault of drivers, who fail to see the rider, despite them being in full view.

The following is interesting, if sobering reading:

https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/road-safety/motorcyclists/common-motorcycle-crash-causes.pdf

* SMIDSY - an acronym now in common use this side of the pond and means "Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You"!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2020, 02:38:55 PM »
I've only been scootering for 16 months and m/c riding for 8 months, but that's after 35 yrs of cycling (transportation and recreation).  Was wary about the higher speeds involved, but in many ways that makes it safer than pedaling. I'm surprised at how safe 2 wheel motoring feels. Much safer than it looks.

There is no substitute for situational awareness and anticipation.  And visibility! Would never tell anyone not to wear protective gear, however I'm perfectly comfortable w ¾ helmet, gloves, sneakers and regular pants and shirt, white or bright colored. 

Using peripheral vision, especially at intersections, and regularly checking the rear view mirror goes a long way to preventing collisions. Got to know who's behind you to maximize anticipation.  Keeping your distance  (find the gap), expecting sudden stops and un-signaled turns/lane changes, and riding as though you're invisible has all helped in making me feel safe out there.  But that's probably obvious to all you seasoned riders.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 02:49:17 PM by monkeybongos »
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2020, 03:00:17 PM »
Had my worst accidents on small bikes at low speed, and each time been grateful of my boots. The one where I shattered the chin of my helmet on the road was also good fun.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2020, 04:51:58 PM »
---Hiking boots not for real riders and usually have lug soles that allow you to track mud into just about everyplace you walk.....and these lugs can catch on foot pegs or even edge of scooter foot boards.

Hmm... guess that makes me an artificial/fake rider... "No, that is not a real rider on that Downtown, that Downtown is piloting itself!"
2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2020, 05:35:20 PM »
Real motorcycle boots are better than hiking boots!!  I find Aerostich Combat Lite very good---right kind of sole---minus not waterproof for multi day trips---Hiking boots not for real riders and usually have lug soles that allow you to track mud into just about everyplace you walk.....and these lugs can catch on foot pegs or even edge of scooter foot boards.

I wear Wolverine Durashocks, mostly, a work boot, but I especially like the because the don't have mud tracker soles, and the insulated version is not hot in summer, and offers plenty of ankle support and padding for protection, one downfall is laces,  but I put a wrap of duct tape over the laces when riding, and my GF likes em cause I don't track mud into the house
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2020, 08:27:36 AM »
I do often wear Alt Berg Defender combat boots (I also have their purpose-made motorcycle boots) on both my bike and scooter. They offer all day comfort and an acceptable level of protection to feet & ankles. Does this make me less of a biker / scooterist? You decide. For me, it works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2020, 03:11:08 AM »
I ware Alico Guide hiking boots with lug soles or my Red Wing steel toe logger boots with lug soles. Since I don't tend to ride in wet weather mud is not a issue.  Company paid for a new set of steel toe boots every year so now I have a lifetime supply that I'm retired. The funny part is I was a controller sitting in front of a dozen computer screens in a limited access locked down room for 12 hours a shift.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• View Profile
Gearing Up. How much is too much and how much is not enough
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2020, 06:30:10 AM »
I ware Alico Guide hiking boots with lug soles or my Red Wing steel toe logger boots with lug soles. Since I don't tend to ride in wet weather mud is not a issue.  Company paid for a new set of steel toe boots every year so now I have a lifetime supply that I'm retired. The funny part is I was a controller sitting in front of a dozen computer screens in a limited access locked down room for 12 hours a shift.
Well, “waste not, want not”!  (Is that expression used over there?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2020, 12:43:11 PM »
Neil that expression is used on this side of the pond as well.  I was taught to always live below your means as well.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2020, 01:13:40 PM »
Two good maxims to live by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()