Author Topic: Warm weather - didn't take long....  (Read 833 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Warm weather - didn't take long....
« on: May 29, 2020, 07:03:42 PM »
Sitting on my patio -  listening to all the motorcycles hitting the streets.
One of them will be making the newspaper soon, I thought.
One did.

"Single vehicle" fatality & "speed", again.

He had a helmet on.
Was airborne 40 ft into a ….

Slow down folks.
Most of these guys don't speed until they get on two wheels.
What's that all about?

Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Warm weather - didn't take long....
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 11:19:31 PM »
I would say it is about the feeling of "I CAN FLYYYY".

It is sobering. I have been going over the statistics to gather information that will hopefully make me a safer rider. I started with the high viz. The one T-bone and then the rear-end when a light changed were both SMIDSY's in Neil's dictionary.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Warm weather - didn't take long....
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 08:36:37 AM »
Too many tearaways over here too Stig. Just out of lockdown and nailing it before getting safely back into riding after the long layoff.
It’s not just bikers either. One motorist caught on the M6 motorway (freeway) near me during lockdown was doing 149 mph fergawdsake!  Yet another good reason for avoiding the super slabs when on two wheels IMO.

I try to ride defensively and hope that my many hours of training will help to even the odds, but my biggest “off” in the 80’s was a typical case where the car driver just didn’t see me!  It’s a constant reminder to be vigilant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 08:44:47 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 08:49:49 AM »
Sitting on my patio -  listening to all the motorcycles hitting the streets.
One of them will be making the newspaper soon, I thought.
One did.

"Single vehicle" fatality & "speed", again.

He had a helmet on.
Was airborne 40 ft into a ….

Slow down folks.
Most of these guys don't speed until they get on two wheels.
What's that all about?

Major Tom

I recall a number of years ago hearing of an accident at the start of the motorcycling 'season'. A time when when bikers squint into the spring sunshine whilst pulling the cover off the dormant 1000cc minuteman missile. It's a time, more than any, when caution is required.

In a clear case of ambition outweighing his talent, the guy (with pillion passenger) broke off from his group and, some way down the road, he crested a blind right hand summit whilst banked over and on the wrong side of the road at around 90mph.

.....The rider was startled to find a car on 'his' side of the road and.....well..... the impact was devastating. The rest of his group caught up a few minutes later to a scene of utter carnage and a female car driver who was, quite literally, hysterical. Being a somewhat rural location, it was sometime before the emergency services got there, but there was nothing they could do anyway other than pick up the pieces and hose away the rest.

Stick to scootering chaps. Enjoy the scenery. It's less blurry at our speeds and you're more than likely to make it back home again to have dinner with the family.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 10:49:10 AM »
It's is a dangerous hobby/transportation that you always have to be on the defensive from brain dead motorists. The advent of the cell phone has been a blessing/curse with people not paying attention to driving.

This subject hits home for me. As I told Stig earlier my cousin was killed when he came around the corner of a night in the rain and hit a moose.  He was a very accomplished rider that also had taught motorcycle safety course  at a college. 

My neighbor and friend next door lost his son to a motorcycle accident several years ago, by a car driver not paying attention .  He and I both still ride but stay vigilant.

I have rode motorcycles since I was 10 years old (dirt bikes) and then the street but I had to do some soul searching when my cousin was killed, he and I were 2 weeks apart age wise.

Stay vigilant and on the defensive because people just don't pay attention as they should.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 03:27:45 PM »
I was in my local beer store, yesterday,  stocking up for the weekend when I was speaking with one of the friendly employees there who rides. He told me he finally sold his bike. I asked him if he was taking a temporary or a permanent break from riding?

He said permanent. He was on a ride earlier this spring and saw another biker right in front of him have a head on collision on the highway. Died instantly...and he witnessed it all. He said it shook him so much he lost his desire to ride.

I told him I completely understand and we all have to make our own choices. I can't say I wouldn't have the same response if I were to witness such a thing.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 08:51:59 AM »
It's is a dangerous hobby/transportation that you always have to be on the defensive from brain dead motorists

Agreed. But it's also the case that bikers, from time to time, don't do themselves any favours.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 09:45:57 AM »
It's is a dangerous hobby/transportation that you always have to be on the defensive from brain dead motorists

Agreed. But it's also the case that bikers, from time to time, don't do themselves any favours.
Very true. We’ve all seen the dickhead behaviours by riders which give us all a bad name, but all you can do is ride your own ride as carefully and courteously as you can.

It’s still possible to come a cropper even then, but at least you’re not handing ammunition to the anti-biker lobby along the way.

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 01:10:03 PM »
I believe the reckless rider type that is responsible for most of the single vehicle wrecks is not common in the scooter community.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 01:13:58 PM »
Around here we have had several single bike accidents from young rider's on 1000cc bikes with excessive speed being the cause. In Wichita a young rider was going to fast to hold a corner and left his lane to have a head on with a truck. So yes riders can take themselves out along with motorists not paying attention.

Kind of reminds me of a old aviation saying, ( There are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 01:19:02 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 05:15:54 PM »
Around here we have had several single bike accidents from young rider's on 1000cc bikes with excessive speed being the cause.

Funnily enough (or not), we have a lot of single bike accidents with older riders on 1000cc bikes. Generally old farts who last had an 80 horsepower Bonny in their youth, have earned a bit of cash and think nothing of spending ten to fifteen grand on something shiny with a lot of 'RRR's' in the name - and double the horses of the old Triumph.

The phrase 'All the gear and no idea' springs to mind.

The last time I rode a big Japanese sportsbike was about 5 years ago - a Kawasaki ZZR1000.....and I have to say it was astonishing. The speedometer digits were so small in order to cram them all in - all the way up to 200mph if memory serves me correctly. But it was the acceleration that was utterly unbelievable. I pulled out to overtake a car in 3rd, looked down and I was doing 95mph in the blink of an eye and flashing by minor junctions, entrances to fields without even noticing them.

I handed the keys back to the owner and have never felt the need to ride one of those things again.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 09:45:52 AM »
Well. Nearly 4 years ago I was one of those statistics. As many of you all know, it cost me my lower left leg. I can  give many excuses. But it boiled down to being on an unfamiliar road at night and not paying close enough attention . It could have been much worse but for a few reasons : 1. I had my helmet and riding jacket on.
2. I was going “only” 55 when I initially “got in trouble “ and likely significantly less on initial impact, and even less when I went down and rolled. In all honesty,  was just about to increase my speed to around 70 in an effort to shorten the time for my 100 miles back home. But for some reason I hadn’t done so...yet.
3. I hit a sign post that was relatively thin and made of hollow aluminum rather than something more solid such as concrete or a tree.
4. GOD HAD MERCY on me! (Probably the #1 reason)

I’d learned to watch for other traffic, to watch for dirt and gravel when turning, and to brake safely. But it was when I was ALONE at NIGHT and mentally distracted that I became careless. Thankfully, it “only” cost me part of my left leg physically. But it also cost me a hobby that I’d truly began to love. And a lifetime of extra expenses because My fake leg  requires as much or more in routine maintenance cost as a scooter but is an unavoidable necessity rather than a joyful pastime.

My point—- BE CAREFUL!

2009 Xciting 250

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 10:09:53 AM »
Sorry to read that Forbes. A salutary tale.

I’ve had a couple of serious “offs” in my 50 + years on two wheels, but on both occasions I’m thankful I didn’t hit anything. Just slid to a halt.

Even that though brought home to me the need for good riding kit as, with helmet and full leathers I was able to get up and walk away.

One of my good riding buddies lost the use of an arm following a bike smash, but has now done more miles on a series of modified trikes than he ever did on a solo. Just a thought?

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 10:18:57 AM »
Sorry to read that Forbes. A salutary tale.

I’ve had a couple of serious “offs” in my 50 + years on two wheels, but on both occasions I’m thankful I didn’t hit anything. Just slid to a halt.

Even that though brought home to me the need for good riding kit as, with helmet and full leathers I was able to get up and walk away.

One of my good riding buddies lost the use of an arm following a bike smash, but has now done more miles on a series of modified trikes than he ever did on a solo. Just a thought?

I believe my physical AND mental ability to ride remains. However, economics is still an issue. Also, I’ve seen the looks of terror on several sibling’s faces when I even toss the idea out there. Although I don’t live for them, I do respect them. All 6 plus my mother were affected. But the two that live nearby seemed to suffer as much or more emotionally as I did. Had I not exceeded expectations and returned to normal life, I don’t think my oldest brother in particular could have fully accepted what happened. So until they can get to a place of acceptance, I’m refraining from riding again.

2009 Xciting 250

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 10:49:21 AM »
Fully understand your reasoning there. It’s important to keep our nearest and dearest on board. I don’t get out or as far these days as I used to for the self same reason.

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()