Author Topic: Freeway//Toll Road US with scooter  (Read 731 times)

john grinsel

• View Profile
Freeway//Toll Road US with scooter
« on: June 01, 2020, 03:48:43 PM »
Often here I read that some people never or cannot go on Freeways----To me that is they never go any place.

A few years ago I rode US 50 from Sacramento to East Coast----50 all the way but several times had to get up on Freeway, as that was the road---bike Helix---US 50 is nice ride. Helix fine for this trip

Another time, Suzuki GS500E, coming from Ind. going to WI, decided I would go thru Chicago on regular roads and avoid FreeWay and Toll Roads---did it but huge waste of time, lots of slow going---never again.

Often, when I am trying just to get some place, I use Freeway---find 250cc scooter min. that works safely in right lane for long distances.  Smaller displacements work for short distances when you run them wide open...which hurts nothing with Japanese stuff or Kymco.

Just some thoughts----I like to go places

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Freeway//Toll Road US with scooter
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 04:07:09 PM »
The main danger I would think is speed differential. Although for legal use of the freeway one must maintain 45+, When others are doing 75-80 I don't want to be slower than 60. For 200 miles the 125 Agility will do it but I avoid areas with long hills. If I had a 250 300 I would take the highway more often for as you stated, if the goal is a destination then back roads are not highly effective.

I totally understand many peoples enjoyment of slow back road riding. Or fast back road riding for that matter.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 05:35:40 PM »
Around here there are always county roads in excellent condition with hardly any traffic so even though it might take a little longer the ride is more pleasant.  I avoid the interstate like the plague with 75 mph speed limits and people running 85 mph.

Like TBR 125 stated speed differential is extremely dangerous.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 05:38:41 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 12:33:06 AM »
I distinctly remember reading the statistic that one is seven times less likely to have an accident on the freeway then on surface streets. It makes sense: everyone is going the same way with no intersections and fewer distractions. My GV 250's can do an honest 72 mph so I never hesitate to use the freeways.
2009 GV 250

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 07:47:06 AM »
I distinctly remember reading the statistic that one is seven times less likely to have an accident on the freeway then on surface streets. It makes sense: everyone is going the same way with no intersections and fewer distractions. My GV 250's can do an honest 72 mph so I never hesitate to use the freeways.
And that’s the critical point Stuo. IF your scoot can maintain 65-70 mph, then it’s feasible to use a Freeway (motorway over here) to get from A-B in a time-efficient manner.  That said, I far prefer the more interesting highways and by-ways and time is not of the essence for me, so I’ll pass on the motorway when on my bike or scooter thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 07:56:03 AM »
Makes a difference where your located as well, My last ride was a 30 mile loop on county roads on a Sunday morning. I seen about 6 motorcyclist two groups of bicyclist and one solo and three pickups.

You probably see more traffic in a couple of blocks

As far as statistics you are more likely to have a accident in a vehicle while backing then going forward, another pointed out your more likely to have a accident within a short radias of your home. From Smith driver training corse we had to take every year for work.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 08:02:36 AM by Kansas kymco »

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 11:14:14 AM »

... another pointed out your more likely to have a accident within a short radias of your home. From Smith driver training corse we had to take every year for work.

I'd heard that statistic from here in the UK too, most vehicle accidents occur within a mileof home!  Just Goodled it and found:

www.whatcar.com › news › most-crashes-happen-close...
13 Aug 2009 - Most car crashes happen close to home, a new study has revealed. One in three smashes occur within just one mile of the driver's home, according to the survey by insurance firm Elephant.co.uk. The poll of 3800 customers revealed a further third of accidents happened between one to five miles from home.

The morale of that story?  Don't let familiarity breed contempt, just beacause you're on (very) familiar roads, don't let your guard down!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 01:05:25 PM »
My favorite coast-to-coast routes are: (winter) 10 and 8 from Florida to San Diego, and (summer) 90 & 80 from Boston to San Francisco.

On foot, with a backpack, guitar and a thumb.

Best way to see this country.

Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 03:06:08 PM »
My favorite coast-to-coast routes are: (winter) 10 and 8 from Florida to San Diego, and (summer) 90 & 80 from Boston to San Francisco.

On foot, with a backpack, guitar and a thumb.

Best way to see this country.

Major Tom
Stig my favorite Road is highway 50 it's nick name is (the loneliest road in America) although I turn off in Ely Nevada onto hwy 6 going through Tonopah to hwy 120 going through Yosemite down to Modesto CA.  Utah is very senic on this route along with 50/70 through the canyons of Colorado.

I've taken hwy I-80 and I-40 several times but it reminds me of a old Road Runner carton where the senery keeps repeating itself over and over with lots of traffic thrown in.

Highway 1 along the coast of California is a neat drive as well.

Stig when in CA did you go through Hurst castle?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 03:19:16 PM by Kansas kymco »

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 03:19:12 PM »

Highway 1 along the coast of California is a neat drive as well.
Did that about 25 years ago on a full dress Harley Electra Glide.  The only way to do the PCH!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 03:21:49 PM »
Did that about 25 years ago on a full dress Harley Electra Glide.  The only way to do the PCH!
I would think it would be a blast on your 300I as well with the low center of gravity and all the curves and relatively low speeds.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 03:24:34 PM by Kansas kymco »

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 03:28:20 PM »
You're not wrong!  What I should have said was 2 wheels is the way to do that road as a car can't do it justice.  The sights, the smells; it's just a blast!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 03:37:48 PM »
Wonder if anyone has done what's left of route 66 on a scooter?

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 03:43:59 PM »
Wonder if anyone has done what's left of route 66 on a scooter?

Now there's a thought...  I've heard it said that huge chunks of 66 are now missing as converted into Interstates or highways.  Is that the case? Seem to recall sad stories of all the small businesses (motels, stores, garages etc., that were left high and dry as a result of the missing passing trade.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 04:21:13 PM »
Route 66 was removed from the national highway register as its entirety had been replaced by interstate highway sections by 1985. I think there are some historic marked segments though.
Become the best you can with what you have.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()