Author Topic: Changing Tires  (Read 3074 times)

Vision

• View Profile
Changing Tires
« on: June 02, 2020, 11:36:09 AM »
How hard is it to change both tires? It looks difficult and I'd rather pay someone but having the freedom to do it yourself would be great. 

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Changing Tires
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 11:49:57 AM »
I suppose that's going to depend on your skills as a home mechanic.  Assuming you have all the correct sizes of spanners / sockets, it's a bit of a chore, but not impossible.  On most scooters, the rear will be more of a challenge as you usually need to remove the silencer and sometimes uncouple a shock absorber to gain easier access.

Once you have the wheel(s) out I'd recommend taking the loose wheel to a bike shop to have them fit the new tyres for a nominal charge as I've heard stories of levers damaging the wheel alloy in the hands of the enthusiastic amateur?

I've no doubt an Agility 125 owner on the Forum will fill in more of the blanks for you, as many on here do the whole tire changing job themselves!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 01:17:02 PM »
The only tools REQUIRED to change a tire on a wheel is any air pump(even a mini bike bump will work), 1 ratchet strap, preferably three, 10-24 inch tire irons, and soap. I do not know what bike you have so I can't say the tools required, usually a big wrench or ratchet and a 24mm socket for the Agility 125 rear axle nut and then 12mm for the exhaust studs.

I you are interested I have an entire photo series that I was intending to post as a tutorial. The tire changing learners curve is sharp. My first tire took 13 hours start to finish, the second 45 Min, and if we make that a straight graph the next should take about 4 seconds. If your rims are painted expect to mar the edges your first time. After a few changes you can use plastic iron protectors but they are hard to use for a beginner like myself. I believe it Is a good skill to know even if you decide for a shop change to save time in the future.

It is a great team bonding experience. I would say try it. You can take the wheels to a shop any time as Neil said(I just don't like giving them the whole bike).

P.S. If you buy an Iron three pack I would get the solid metal bar type. The ones that look like giant screwdrivers bend when you jump on them in hatred.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:52:38 PM by TBR125 »
Become the best you can with what you have.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 01:34:41 PM »
My mistake, I assume you have an agility as this is posted on the agility forum. Let me compress so photos and I will get a post written up.

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 02:30:26 PM »
Thanks guys

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 02:37:21 PM »
Last time I changed the tires I couldn't get the rear tire to seat on the rim.
Used the air compressor (as before) at the gas station but this time it didn't work.

Finally gave up and took it to a tire shop. They popped it on in 10 seconds.

Next time I'm just gonna get the wheels off and take them to a shop.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Agility City 125

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 02:39:51 PM »
I had the same issue the first time but found a simple solve I will share here shortly.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 02:42:06 PM »
Here is my process for a tire change. It may take a little while to get all the pictures up so please bear with me.

Step 1. Remove exhaust assembly.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 02:52:43 PM »
Step 2. Remove the wheel. I used a breaker bar and socket. Took the bike off the center stand, held the rear brake, and reached over the bike with the ratchet.

You may need to loosen the sub fender for wheel removal clearance.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 03:29:23 PM by TBR125 »

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 02:53:15 PM »
Step 2 continued.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 02:56:58 PM »
Step 3. Break the bead. Begin by deflating the tire by removing the valve stem core. If kneeling on the bead doesn't break it, place a board onto the tire(NOT OVER THE RIM) and with the help of spotter slowly drive a car on to the board slightly.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 03:00:40 PM »
Step 4. Remove tire with tire levers.

The top bead should pry off fairly easily and you should be able to stand on the rim and pull the tire off the second edge by hand.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 03:02:18 PM »
Step 5. Clean the wheel and inspect for any sharp burrs or damage in the bead seat.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 03:05:43 PM »
Step 6. Begin new tire install.  After wiping down and inspecting the tire and wheel for damage you are ready to install. Mix a soap solution as a lubricant for the levers. I used 1 tbsp of dish soap in one cup water.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 03:14:57 PM »
Step 6 continued. Decide on tire tread orientation and slide the first bead over the rim. Dip the levers in the soap or wipe it onto the tire bead. Begin working the second bead over. Many will be optimistic, almost done, only 8 inches left. Those 8 inches will divide those who dream from those who have done.

No criticism if that is the point you want to take it to a shop. Better to wait until next time to attempt it with your gained experience than to damage the tire bead.
Be very careful with the bead under the high stress at the end and make sure it turns in toward the wheel on the lever and is not flipped outward toward you. If it is release the lever and reset as that will split the bead,

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()